SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?
Yes 37 12.46%
No 231 77.78%
Don't Care 29 9.76%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2005, 07:11 AM   #21
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?

I don't care, personally.
My purchase will give someone a job - it may be for what *we* would consider a substandard wage, but it puts sustinance on someone's table and a roof over their head.

Newsflash for y'all... VW's quality numbers are actually HIGHER on vehicles produced in Puebla vs their Hanover, Osnebruck, and Wolfsburg plants.

I'd rather buy a car made in Mexico than send one red cent to the automotive conglomerate known as Honda.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2005, 07:11 AM   #22
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Knowing that my VUE was built in the US was a definite plus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:36 AM   #23
texan
texan is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I prefer to buy American-made. I wouldn't buy a Mexican Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to texan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help texan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #24
martlet
martlet is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
2008 VUE Green Line

Buying American is still important for our family. Our jobs are all service industry - not manufacturing so there is no direct connection and we do purchase import items all the time. However, driving American made cars from Saturn (for the last sixteen years) has been our vote for the best made longest lasting and best value product available. That all of our cars were built in the Spring Hill plant gave us peace of mind on each of our last three purchases. The quality from that plant had been wonderful. Infact, we purchased a Vue within a few weeks of its introduction largely because of our confidence in Saturn and particularly of the workers at Spring Hill.

YES - Americam made matters for our cars. PLEASE KEEP THE VUE ON THE HILL.

Respectfully

Scott

Stone Mountain, Georgia

Current SW@ and Vue owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martlet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martlet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
martlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:51 AM   #25
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysote
THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS THAT SATURNS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ALL AMERICAN VEHICLES, I WOULD HATE IF THIS WAS TO HAPPEN, PERSONALLY IF IT HAPPENS I WOULD NOT BUY A SATURN AT ALL. I DO NOT KNOW THE NUMBERS, HOWEVER IF THIS MOVE SUPPOSED TO HELP GM AS A COMPANY, IN THE OTHER HAND IT WILL BE SAD FOR MANY SATURN FANS, INCLUDING MYSELF. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST MEXICO ASSEMBLIES HOWEVER SATURNS WERE BORN HERE AND SHOULD STAY HERE.

PLEASE DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the the final element that would make Saturn loose it's originality:

The buying experience, distinctive looks (until the Cavalier and Sunfire started copying the "look" of Saturn), polymer panels, and completely American-made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDRedline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDRedline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JDRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #26
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
I don't care, personally.
My purchase will give someone a job - it may be for what *we* would consider a substandard wage, but it puts sustinance on someone's table and a roof over their head....

Just not Americans.

I'm all for globalization, but not at the cost of American jobs.

Damned greedy corporations!

We're quickly becoming the United Corporations of America.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDRedline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDRedline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JDRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:57 AM   #27
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Hell no.
Send my sentiments to Bob Lutz.

Although, within 20 years, I seriously doubt ANYTHING will be manufactured in the USA.

This country will become a toursit destination for the Chinese.
"Ah yes, I am going to the Rust Belt Museum in Ohio...."

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #28
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I'd buy a Mexican made Saturn if the quality were decent.
Don't blame the Mexican workers for the quality of your VW. It would've been crappy no matter where it was built.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #29
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

HE double hockey sticks NO. I am a GM Union member and I would NEVER buy a Saturn made in another country! How dare they even consider making them in Mexico. I am SO sick of NAFTA and our manufacturing jobs going down the drain. What, do they honestly think that after they move ALL of the jobs out of this country, that we could afford new cars?
I could not afford a new car WITH my factory job that I have now.
They are hiring people at ONLY 9 bucks an hour now, and those people are FILING FOR BANKRUPTCY!
Sure, 30-40 bucks an hour was excessive, but now we're on the other end, where 9 bucks is too little for such work that is labeled as DANGEROUS, CANCER CAUSING, HARD LABOR, FORCED OVERTIME, and having to deal with the day to day politics that Unions and Managements play. THEN they move our jobs out of this country, saying it costs too much (yet they still make a profit) for US workers. So, then despite all of the above BAD things, they take the ONLY good thing about it AWAY!
This makes me so mad, I am going to write Saturn. If they move ANY Saturn vehicle to Mexico, I will SELL my race car and my street car and get something else. THAT is how mad it makes me. I will never have anything to do with Saturn again if they do this.
This is nothing personal against anyone on here, I am just very angry at Saturn for even considering this.
No, factory work is NOT easy, but it's the only thing we have (us factory workers), in 99% of the cases. Very few of us would ever fit into the white collar world of desk jobs in tall buildings. I know I would not.
I also know I am glad I started my own business. I hope it does well as it's looking to be the only thing I have left.
To those people who would buy a Saturn made in Mexico, well, this is America and you are free to do what you want, but you will be buying a car made in another country, supporting cheaper labor and lax environmental laws, and STILL paying the same price for the vehicle. Just think about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MydnightMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #30
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Unless you study, most folks don't know where their car was built, or for that matter, where most of the parts come from.

I bet a lot of folks think a Honda Accord is made in Japan and a VW Beetle comes from Germany.
It's a shame that people don't know what is made where. Perhaps if people knew what "buying American" meant, it would be different. I suppose it isn't that I see jobs being shipped out of this country as unique to GM/Ford/Chrysler, because it obviously isn't. But Ford and GM especially capitalize on that "patriotic buy American" sentiment, when they themselves are doing some pretty bad things to our manufacturing base.

Until that changes, I will continue to buy U.S.-made vehicles, regardless of what emblem is tacked onto the bumper. Some of the money may go back to Japan, but a lot of it is reinvested here in the U.S. in the form of capacity expansion. And it puts dollars back into the hands of the middle class, which is the backbone of society, despite what politicians and executive officers have to say.

Ed
2005 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 5AT
http://community.webshots.com/user/edwilson13185

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edwilson13185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edwilson13185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #31
Aquarius
Aquarius is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

I want to drive a vehicle that supports our economy, our workers and human rights - including those countries that we hold 'live aid' concerts for to relieve some of the struggles created by companies that profit off the backs of those most in need. Does Sweden make a car? I will find another company or another county to buy a car from - I only buy Canadian grapes - and have for more than 15 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aquarius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aquarius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #32
drumr
drumr is on a distinguished road

Absolutely not. I bought my '92 SL2 new to SUPPORT the Saturn endeavor. It was a new car, with an excellent design, built in a then-state-of-the-art factory, by American workers, working as a team. I thought that was worth supporting then, and I still do. I'm a patriot, and I do a great deal of voting with my dollars.

BTW, wouldn't a Mexican VUE actually be a No-Va...ba dum bum.

Last edited by drumr; 07-11-2005 at 08:37 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drumr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drumr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:36 AM   #33
Laurence
Laurence is on a distinguished road

No, I'm not interested in buying a Mexican-made Saturn because when we bought our first Saturn (SC) in 1992 we were buying American and supporting the American worker.

But car content could be coming from just about anywhere these days. The VUE and ION VTi transmission was made in Hungary. We've bought three Saturns over the years and will continue to buy Saturns if the quality is comparable to other manufacturers--but not if they're made in Mexico. BTW, the engine for the Equinox is made in China from an old GM pushrod design.

On the other hand perhaps we should bear in mind that Honda, Toyota, and now more recently Hyundai, as well as others, create many thousands of jobs for American workers by assembling many of their vehicles in the U.S. so we have to be careful about labeling vehicles with foreign names as "foreign" when many thousands--even millions of them maybe--are assembled by American workers in the good old U.S. of A. who might not have a well-paid job had these assembly plants not been built by "foreign" companies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Laurence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Laurence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:50 AM   #34
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysote
THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS THAT SATURNS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ALL AMERICAN VEHICLES, I WOULD HATE IF THIS WAS TO HAPPEN, PERSONALLY IF IT HAPPENS I WOULD NOT BUY A SATURN AT ALL. I DO NOT KNOW THE NUMBERS, HOWEVER IF THIS MOVE SUPPOSED TO HELP GM AS A COMPANY, IN THE OTHER HAND IT WILL BE SAD FOR MANY SATURN FANS, INCLUDING MYSELF. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST MEXICO ASSEMBLIES HOWEVER SATURNS WERE BORN HERE AND SHOULD STAY HERE.

PLEASE DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Saturns are supposed to be all-American? Then let's see, BMWs are supposed to be all-German (Spartanburg IIRC plant in South Carolina), and Nissans, Mitsubishis, Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, and Kias are supposed to be all-Japanese/Korean (Nissan-Smyrna, TN...the others have plants all over, I can't remember where they all are.). BMW was born in Germany, and the others were born in Japan/Korea.

It's not always the workers at the plants that are to blame for poor quality; it's sometimes the parts that are supplied to them.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #35
daprezjer
daprezjer is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Of course the entire contents of the car aren't made in the U.S., but it has always been assembled and used a majority of American parts, more so than any other brand. It's for this reason that I bought a Saturn in the first place. I definitely wouldn't do it if I knew it was assembled somewhere else. And why can't we vote in this darn poll anymore?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daprezjer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daprezjer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daprezjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #36
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

For me, this tells the tale regarding the quality of products made in Mexico. I used to buy most of my cloths and gear from LL Bean. It was mostly made in the USA. Well, in recent years, they started buying nearly everything made in Mexico. Although it's the same great company, there was a marked decrease in the quality of the products as far as my experience goes. I fear the same will hold true for Saturn (the car part that is, maybe not the 'same great company' part). :]

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #37
LTS
Advanced Member
LTS is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I don't think I can post right now without offending a great many people. So I will attempt to limit my words.

It would not bother me that the car is assembled in Mexico. If the car's price tag does not meet my standards then I won't buy it, regardless of where it's built. I am not an American only person because that "movement" is chock full of wannabes. It's a nice talking point but very few people actually put it to practice.

Your money is already leaving the United States everyday in so many ways. If you believe that this would have a major impact, you should do some research. Try looking at where the bank that holds your money is investing it. You might not want to use your bank anymore.

LTS!

<--- My avatar proves that people should be mindful of what they place on the Internet. She's gotta be proud!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LTS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LTS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #38
daprezjer
daprezjer is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Every little bit helps. I don't think anyone here goes out and tries to buy only American. But when it comes to making a large purchase, one shouldn't be denounced for trying to make a small difference. There are many cars in the Saturn price range. If wanting to buy American gives Saturn the slight edge over its competitors, more power to em.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daprezjer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daprezjer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daprezjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #39
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

No thanks.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #40
jaydubau
jaydubau is on a distinguished road

Enough is enough. Sure I use to buy imports years ago, but one factor in buying my 1st Saturn, [1993 SL2], was 'USA made' . We need to keep jobs in USA, or we'll all be working in a rice field before long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaydubau's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaydubau reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaydubau is offline   Reply With Quote