SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should Saturn Offer Heads-Up Display as an Option on all Models?
Yes 64 65.31%
No 34 34.69%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 05:40 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Question Should Saturn Offer a Heads-Up Display Option?

Do you think Saturn should offer a heads-up display option on its cars? Would you have purchased it in your Saturn if it was available?

Post your thoughts!
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

No, I think it could be distracting at night.

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I think it would be a good idea for a HUD. I naturally scan my dash and mirrors constantly, so looking up at the windshield wouldn't be a problem...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
silverblueL200

I'd get it, I love gizmo's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 02-08-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Sure, but I wouldn't get it. It would distract me.

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I think they should offer it if it can be installed at a cost that encourages people to buy it. I would consider buying it if the option was available for no more than $300. After that I would have to carefully consider its worth versus using the optional dollars in other ways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

nah.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

No, we have too many car options already. Being performance minded, I don't care for so many gadgets on my vehicles. There's options on my truck and van that I don't need or really want, but I bought them used.. I have the option to remove them, but why work so hard.. hehehe
Anyway, I think that people will just ignor it like they do their gauge cluster and turn signals, so why pay the extra money for something you will eventually ignor?

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Style over substance - I'd rather have a manual steel moonroof standard like VW used to have in the 80s Golf and Sciroccos. Who watches their speedo with that much attention anyhow??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
preduck
preduck is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

i'd get it. my buddy had an altima with it. it looked pretty cool and didn't seem to distracting. If he didn't like it, he'd just hit a button and turn it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to preduck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help preduck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #11
toyfan1
toyfan1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

i definatly would, heck why not the infared night vision like the h2? i think the benifits would out weight the cost.

HEY, I'M JUST THE PARTS GUY!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toyfan1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toyfan1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:34 PM   #12
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by silverblueL200
I'd get it, I love gizmo's
Yeah right, that's just Saturn needs, another gizmo.
They can't even figure out how to eliminate headlights dimming when the A/C kicks on or figure how to put in auto climate control to work without 20 trips to the dealer. (if it will).
Fix what's wrong first before putting in more unproven (by Saturn, that is) gizmos.
I would just like to see oil pressure and volt meter gauges - STANDARD.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:41 PM   #13
sissonct
sissonct is on a distinguished road

Default No, No, No

I agree with UNKLE BIK. They need to fix what they already have before offering more gizmos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sissonct's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sissonct reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:22 PM   #14
SilverNickelQC
Advanced Member
SilverNickelQC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think it would be great on the ION RL since they are not doing away with the center IP, they can have something for the people who don't like it and maybe that would keep there minds off the fact that its not there in front.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverNickelQC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverNickelQC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:07 AM   #15
BlueVette
BlueVette is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Should Saturn Offer a Heads-Up Display Option?

ABSOLUTELY!!! The Heads Up Display is a wonderful thing. I use it 100% of the time in my Corvette. It is a major safety advantage because you don't have to take your eyes off the road. It is easy to see, adjustable positioning, your eye focus as though it is projected "out onto the road" and you can see right through it and it never gets "dirty" because it is on the inside of the glass. There is no downside to a HUD but there are SO MANY advantages to it. Yes. It NEEDS to be an option. PERIOD.

Oh, and btw, it does NOT distract 'at night' or any other time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueVette's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueVette reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:12 AM   #16
BlueVette

Quote:
Originally posted by MydnightMyst
No, we have too many car options already. Being performance minded, I don't care for so many gadgets on my vehicles.
Have to disagree on this one. A performance driver would love to have the HUD on the windshield... you don't have to take your eyes off the track at any point to get a reading of speed, g's, tach, and so forth. Much safer and better for performance driving. I didn't know if I'd have use my HUD much on my C5 vette.. but I assure you, I do. Definately a fantastic feature. BTW, a HUD is no-more-a-gadget than a dash with instruments on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BlueVette reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #17
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

I was always under the impression Saturn was an entry level car....

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #18
BlueVette

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKLE BIK
I was always under the impression Saturn was an entry level car....
Yeah, and a HUD should be standard for most cars I believe. Just too many benefits for safety in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2004, 12:58 PM   #19
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueVette
Yeah, and a HUD should be standard for most cars I believe. Just too many benefits for safety in it.
I just hope you don't think that I am totally against the idea. If it's for safety, sure why not. But, are there any studies that concur that HUD is safer than a tradtional display? Or is it just an assumption or belief? I don't know or have the facts.
Perhaps you didn't understand my remark about Saturn being an entry level car. The current market position for Saturn puts it's base model, Ion, in competition with cars such as the Neon, Focus, Civic, Corolla, & Hundays, not Corvettes. To put an HUD in an Ion would mean a cost of at least several hundred dollars added to that sticker. (no, I don't have the actual dollar amount) In an all ready tight market, a couple hundred dollars more for an Ion would mean someone looking for something cheaper, rather than high-tech. If GM would forego this price & keep the MSRP the same, they would have to make up for it somewhere else. (Corvette, Escalade, CTS) GM is in the business of dollars & cents, not putting gizmos into entry level cars.
My biggest concern about it was in my previous statement concerning reliability. Saturn can't even get the basics right (alternators to keep up, auto HVAC that doesn't work, etc.) How would expect them to handle that? Saturn has been the butt of jokes with the centre IP, what would you think if the HUD stopped working everytime you used the turn signal? I can hear the laughter, now.
Who knows, they may have perfected this system. After all, Saturn was one the first entry level cars to offer ABS & traction control.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #20
BlueVette

HUD seems like VERY simple technology. Nothing more than an LCD read-out reflecting in a special windshield. If they can't make a run-of-the-mill LCD display work correctly then they shouldn't be making things as complicated as entire vehicles. Weehaw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread