SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
silvia1320
silvia1320 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default P0300 Code and fans running constantly

Hey guys im new to the forums aqnd Ive been searching all day to no avail. My wifes 2000 LS1 2.2 started acting up thursday. The motor is shaking violently like its out of balance or at real low rpms(tach reads around 1000) and the fans come on from start up. I had the code read for the cel and it came up p0300 for a random misfire. I changed out the coolant temp sensor as recommended and still the same scenario. Does anyone have some suggestions? I really dont want to spend $1000 replacing ignition module and coils if i dont have to especially since the car cost $2500. All help appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvia1320's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvia1320 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silvia1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
KLS1P
KLS1P is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0300 Code and fans running constantly

Coil pack or Ignition Module which mounts on top of coil pack. Did the car have the recall service, replacing the ignition module? Test the coil pack by removing the pack and plug boots, lay on the valve cover so that spark will jump to cover. Have somebody crank engine and you look for even bright spark. The coil pack can be found for $120.00 and the Ignition Module for $70.00 both easy to replace. The CPS is probably OK since car started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KLS1P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KLS1P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KLS1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its not $1000 for the ignition module and coil pack unless you're paying a dealer for this work. Check prices on rockauto.com, both cost less than $200 together if you DIY. The question is which one will fix the misfiring. If you can have the two tested at someplace like Autozone (call) this can narrow the problem down. Another alternative might be using a multimeter although there aren't any published criteria for both. A simple continuity test may help.

There have been others with this same problem but you may be distracted by the constantly running fan leading you to replacing the ects when there may be two separate problems. A cooling fan and the P0300 misfiring problem. If I'm not mistaken there's either a fan relay or fan control module that powers the cooling fan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
silvia1320

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ok i found an oem part supplier and thats where i got prices. thats alot better than $1000. i forgot about rock auto, i always use them for my nissan parts. Also i looked for a fan control module at multiple parts places and could not find one. Is it a used or oem dealer only part? Ill try the coil test, but is there any way to test the ignition module? Oh and thanks for the replies, i appreciate it alot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silvia1320 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I honestly don't know if there are any tests other than Saturn's Techtool II's ability to monitor output signals, making it difficult for the rest of us to isolate an ign module from coil pack problem. My first guess would be by process of elimination by using a multimeter to read continuity/resistance of the coil pack and look for either a short or open in the pack. As it is, its basically a sealed two-coil pack that should read resistance for either coil to determine a fault. That leaves the ign module as its a solid state ignition circuit that either works or not. Usually, if a coil pack were to fail, only one coil might fail and result in two cylinders not firing. This would stay consistent and a repeating error code would be generated for two cylinders. I'd guess the ignition module is faulty as there's just one general misfiring code, P0300, that seems to point to the module. I can be wrong so this is just my guesstimate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
silvia1320

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Okay guys, went out and tested the coils and the middle two plugs aren't firing. The ignition Module has been replaced under recall, i just looked up the campaign number on the sticker on the front of the engine bay. I'm taking it this means i have a bad coil pack? Now can I just replace one or is it a two coil pack unit all in one? The ones I saw on rockauto were one whole unit and the OEM saturn ones were separate I believe. Thank you in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, if the middle two plugs aren't firing, cylinders 2 & 3, this means one half of each ignition coil isn't firing. This doesn't point to the ignition coil pack as it comes as one unit for the engine. The ignition module is at fault.

Your ignition coil pack operates similar to the S-series ignition coils; a pair of ignition coils, one fires either #1 or #3, the other fires #2 or #4. Coil (primary) resistance will be 0.4 - 1.6 ohms, secondary resistance between 1 and 4 or 2 and 3 will be 3.8k - 5.1k ohms.

This seems to be the ignition module failing again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
silvia1320

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

okay wasn't sure how the coils fired or if they were able to be separated. Ill replace the ignition module and see from there. Also stupid question but the ignition module is the heat sink on top of the coils that the plug goes into correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
KLS1P

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia1320 View Post
okay wasn't sure how the coils fired or if they were able to be separated. Ill replace the ignition module and see from there. Also stupid question but the ignition module is the heat sink on top of the coils that the plug goes into correct?
Yes it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KLS1P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pictures are wonderful; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130209 - look at post #4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
silvia1320

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ok got it, now which supplier is better, ac delco or delphi? rockauto lists delphi as oe manufacturer for the part so i woulod assume oe is better quality but if this is the second ignition control module i mat go with the delco part

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your choice.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
KLS1P

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Well, if the middle two plugs aren't firing, cylinders 2 & 3, this means one half of each ignition coil isn't firing. This doesn't point to the ignition coil pack as it comes as one unit for the engine. The ignition module is at fault.

Your ignition coil pack operates similar to the S-series ignition coils; a pair of ignition coils, one fires either #1 or #3, the other fires #2 or #4. Coil (primary) resistance will be 0.4 - 1.6 ohms, secondary resistance between 1 and 4 or 2 and 3 will be 3.8k - 5.1k ohms.

This seems to be the ignition module failing again.
The coil pack on the 4 cylinder: 1 coil fires cylinders 2 and 3, the other coil fires cylinders 1 and 4. I believe silvia1320 has a bad coil pack and not a bad ignition module. The ignition modules after the recall are very reliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I referred to my FSM for the 4cyl coil pack wiring and if I'm wrong it would be better to measure the coil pack to be sure that its faulty. I would think that this coil pack would show two different resistance readings to indicate one coil faulty if you're right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
KLS1P

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hey I might just be a Whipper Snapper, but my manual (Chilton; don't laugh) says so. But I trust the FSM at the shop, but I'm home now with Chilton within reach.. I agree with testing the coil pack resistance, with ignition module removed of course.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
silvia1320

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Okay, i tested the secondary resistance on the coils and they are within specs. 1 and 4 is 3.96k ohms and 2 and 3 are 4.02k ohms. Primary is at 1.2 and 1.6ohms. So the coil checks out but the 2 and 3 cylinders arent firing so i guess ill wait till the ignition control module gets here and go from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
webbkarz
webbkarz is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

You guys are right, the coils are 1-4 and 2-3. Also, a bad ignition module will cause your cooling fans to be on constantly. Usually a bad fan relay/module will cause the fans not to work.

Del
'95 SC2
'93 BMW 325is
Tulsa, OK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to webbkarz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help webbkarz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
webbkarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
silvia1320

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ok got the ign module put in and still the misfire cel. do i need to pull the battery to reset the ecu so the fans and the cel turn off? i havent pulled the coils and tested them with the new module yet(i just got out of the emergency room, got 5 stitches working on a friends g20)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #19
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can pull the IGN fuse(s) if you like or the battery negative cable. This should reset everything. If the code comes back, have it read again to be sure its the same or another new one.

Does the engine run fine now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #20
KLS1P

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The chev cavalier (2002 +) with the ecotec L61, uses the same coil pack, maybe somebody you know has one you can swap for a while. I still think it's your coil pack. Any local ACdelco or Gm parts store should have the coil cheaper than saturn and faster than shipping. Can you return an electrical part is the question.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!