SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are there any E85 fuel stations near you?
Yes 24 35.29%
No 40 58.82%
What's E85 fuel? 4 5.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Question Are there any E85 fuel stations near you?

Are there E85 fueling stations near you? If not, do you know how far away the closest station is from where you live? Is "flex-fuel" capability something you will look for in your next car?

Post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
SL2sleeper
SL2sleeper is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Are there any E85 fuel stations near you?

WOW this is a really great topic more for people who use any sort of alternative fuel source.

The only alternative fuel source I can account for via any public distribution is a natural gas station.

If you have a Diesel vehicle then you should I would hope know already about what other alternatives you have available other than pump stuff. It really isn't hard too blend what you already use for your DD or other vehicles.

oh and hey too all it has been a bit since i have posted over here LOL.

No traction control but no need it is a 5 speed

In the end ride quality means nothing performance is everything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2sleeper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2sleeper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Legs
Legs is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Hi,

I live in Montreal, Qc, Canada... In the province of Quebec, there is nearly no E85 facility !!!

I would have to drive to Ontario in order to fill up with E85. This would represent about 100 miles (160 km)!
It would also represent a minimum of a one hour drive with my Vue (Locked at 162 km/h) !

No I will definitely not look at buying a E85 vehicle... but my next one could be the Hybrid Vue wich I test drove last year and was able to push it to 177 Km/h (about 110 Mph) !!! to my great surprise... I guess they have not figured out how to lock this one...
This Hybrid Vue was also very good on fuel... Too bad they don't make it with a Manual tranny.

Steph.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Legs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Legs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

i was downright surprised to walk into a chevy dealer this weekend to see a new malibu and see a Flex Fuel impala right next to it in the showroom, but no flex fuel Malibu, and certainly no flex fuel Aura.... how does this make sense, GM?

If you want to talk about E85 and pushing flex fuel vehicles and ethanol distribution, you need to walk the walk and make all of your vehicles flex fuel capable! If the Aura had come in a flex fuel trim, you can bet your @$$ i'd own one.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Are there E85 fueling stations near you? If not, do you know how far away the closest station is from where you live? Is "flex-fuel" capability something you will look for in your next car?

Post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Charlie

I don't know of any within 100 miles. If they exist I haven't seen them.

I won't be looking into flex fuel vehicles at all, I think it's simply a short and poor short term bandaid for a bigger problem. If we're going to change industry and infrastructure, the only way to bring demand up enough to do so is with long term solutions.

If hydrogen was the "flex fuel" and it was becoming available, I'd seriously consider it.

Legs,

I'm often boggled why they would design a car to be more fuel efficient, yet not offer it with the most efficient drivetrain combinations. For that matter, they don't even do what are common sense fuel improving things often.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The closest E85 station is 75 miles from me. BioDiesel is available about 30 miles away.
Yes I would buy the FlexFuel version of a car I would buy. There really isn't all that much right now.
American design
American made
Union made
Flex Fuel
Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
If you want to talk about E85 and pushing flex fuel vehicles and ethanol distribution, you need to walk the walk and make all of your vehicles flex fuel capable! If the Aura had come in a flex fuel trim, you can bet your @$$ i'd own one.
I'd agree with you but I think too many E85 vehicles could tax the distribution system. So far almost all the E85 vehicles are fairly old engine designs. Usually OHV units.
If I lived in a strong E85 state I'd probably would have picked that Impala

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
hairymon
hairymon is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2005 RELAY-2

I don't know of any near me, but who knows, the NY metropolitan area is so big. I've heard that almost all of the E85 stations are in the Midwest though.

If the fuel were available, I'd love to have my vehicles in a flex fuel version.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hairymon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hairymon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hairymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

there are a few E85 fuel stations in the Detroit area.
use this to locate them http://afdcmap2.nrel.gov/locator/

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Nearest one is 24 miles away. But I can buy race fuel at the pump 6 miles away.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #11
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2

I have 6 of them between 10 and 30 miles from my house. Two of them are within 5 miles of work. They are the two I would use if I ever convert my '00 Silverado.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to virnin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help virnin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

I have yet to see any in Ohio...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
mkuz13
Advanced Member
mkuz13 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

There are a few E85 stations that are 10 miles away from my home.Out here even E85 & bio-diesel plants are sprouting up (just like the corn in early summer )

I wouldnt plan on buying a new E85 vehicle but if I came across a cheap used car that was E85 compatible,I would think about buying it.

Want more gun control? Then use both hands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkuz13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkuz13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkuz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Yeah, I live in Northwest Ohio and we are a big corn-growing state so we see a lot of e-85. I'd say about half to two-thirds of the stations I've been to in the last year have had e-85. I've actually got probably a half dozen stations that sell it within 3 miles of my house. And I hardly ever see anyone pumping it into their cars. They might pull up to that pump, but they usually buy the regular gas.

I dont own a car that runs on it, or plan to buy one. It's about 25% cheaper (give or take) than regular gasoline, but you make up any differences in that e-85 is about 25% less efficient (give or take) than regular gasoline so it all works out about the same in the end anyway. You just think you buying cheaper gas and polluting less, so you feel good, when you really will have to fill up more often to drive the exact same distances.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax428 View Post
I dont own a car that runs on it, or plan to buy one. It's about 25% cheaper (give or take) than regular gasoline, but you make up any differences in that e-85 is about 25% less efficient (give or take) than regular gasoline so it all works out about the same in the end anyway. You just think you buying cheaper gas and polluting less, so you feel good, when you really will have to fill up more often to drive the exact same distances.
The price does come out similar but you'd be buying fuel from your neighbors. You'd be keeping it local. It could help your community in the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
The price does come out similar but you'd be buying fuel from your neighbors. You'd be keeping it local. It could help your community in the long run.
ding ding ding! money to iraq or money to iowa, take your pick.

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
ding ding ding! money to iraq or money to iowa, take your pick.
Right, and I would expect someone living in Texas to buy gasoline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
bc3tech
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Right, and I would expect someone living in Texas to buy gasoline.
like texas would actually put up e85 stations anyway?

on the subject,
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...724#post116724
it appears that cars nowadays are e85 capable w/ the changing of injectors and a tune. so... as soon as an e85 epsilon on the 3.6L v6 comes out, consider my aura e85

+rep always appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
like texas would actually put up e85 stations anyway?

on the subject,
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...724#post116724
it appears that cars nowadays are e85 capable w/ the changing of injectors and a tune. so... as soon as an e85 epsilon on the 3.6L v6 comes out, consider my aura e85
I'd want my FlexFuel car to have a powertrain warranty. If I lived in an E85 state and had the money I think that would be as good a reason as any to get myself a new Sierra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Ahh, but just because it's produced locally doesn't mean it's distributed locally. I've interviewed with two Oil companies in the past (Marathon and SunOil) who both have refineries within 45 minutes of my house (as do BP and I think Shell). I had asked the guys at SunOil about their control on gas prices since it was expensive here even with a bunch of local refineries. And they stated something along the lines of the Oil they refine here in Ohio goes out West to the Plains States, and the Oil they refine out there comes this way. I think it had to do with keeping gas prices somewhat level across the country.

But yeah, I do agree that USA (or even North American) processed fuel would be a lot more appealing than foreign oil. But I'm not willing to switch just to have to go fill up every week (or less) when I'm currently filling up every week-and-a-half to two weeks. It's just a psychological thing for me. I feel that I spend less, when I spend less often. And knowing that i'll be spending more often is a deterant to change.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote