SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2017, 03:03 AM   #1
ZepSL2
ZepSL2 is on a distinguished road

Default brakes failed need help

Ok when i was coming off the highway at my exit i hit the brakes and the pedal went to the floor i had to use the emergency brake to stop.

luckily it was late at night (about 20 minutes ago) i was only car on the road.
I slowly drove home about 1 mile away popped the hood thinking no fluid and breakline failure but to my surprise fluid level was fine and as far as i can tell no leaks.

with engine off i got in car and pumped the brake pedal and it got hard and seemed fine but as soon as i started the car the pedal went right to the floor. I shut engine off and pumped them and just a few pumps rock hard again. Turn engine on and pedal right to the floor again.

ok so what does this mean? bad master cylinder? vacuum leak? booster issue?

what do i check/do next to pin the exact problem down?

thanks

Russ

1999 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ZepSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ZepSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ZepSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
Default Re: brakes failed need help

Good brake petal after the vacuum in the booster is bled off indicates bad booster.

Highmile
'95 SL1 639k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Even if the booster fails the over whelming odds are you would simply lose boost not pedal. Odds are FAR more likely you lost a brake line or maybe a rear wheel cylinder. Contrary to what you might think OP if you lost a brake line or cylinder you would not see an appreciable drop in the master cyl.
I'm sure if you look at the rear wheels or perhaps underneath the car you will find fluid
I did not see where you live but a rusted out brake line would not be a surprise

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Is it standard or ABS? did you get a brake light??

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
sedativechunk
sedativechunk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Even if the booster fails the over whelming odds are you would simply lose boost not pedal. Odds are FAR more likely you lost a brake line or maybe a rear wheel cylinder. Contrary to what you might think OP if you lost a brake line or cylinder you would not see an appreciable drop in the master cyl.
I'm sure if you look at the rear wheels or perhaps underneath the car you will find fluid
I did not see where you live but a rusted out brake line would not be a surprise
First of all OP, very happy to hear you are safe which is most important. I had that happen last year, driving my mothers' 2004 Chevy Impala around. A break line popped and it's scary. I'm glad you made it home safe.

Second, I agree with underthehood... it to me just sounds like a break line or rear cylinder popped. My SL2 has over 130 miles and I've never had a problem with the booster or master cylinder. Not saying they don't go bad. But I would jack it up and look underneath. Leaks on fuel and brake lines can be very discrete. You won't see them, but they are there.

If you have very rusty brake lines and especially live on winter roads, extreme chances are it's popped somewhere in a rusty spot. I'd start there, beings that's the cheapest route (if you do them yourself, anyway). Put some new lines on, steel lines are fairly inexpensive, especially for a small Saturn. Unlike fuel lines which are a little more discrete (and you also smell the odor more and more gradually), them brake lines, they can go bad and you won't notice until you try stopping!

I will say my SL2 is about due for some new brake lines. They're extremely rusty. It passed inspection and I'm surprised they passed it because the brake lines aren't too sexy looking anymore. Beings mine are rusting so bad I would say check there. GM's in general are notorious for rusting lines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I had a '93 SL2 that was rust free everywhere pop a rear rubber brake line on me. Car was crazy fun to drive (kinda helped that I had put every bolt-on fun part to it) and until that day never gave me an issue stopping from well over the speed limit. Missed my driveway, spun it around in the next one...borrowed my moms car and had the line replaced about an hour later. ABS doesn't do anything when there's no pressure in the lines...lol

If the rear cylinder(s) have burst the drum will hold fluid for quite a while before it leaks out. I don't know how much you pumped the pedal but it takes a while for any leak short of a full cut-off line to give a noticeable drop in the master cylinder level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 AM   #7
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

On the initial pop there will not be a lot of fluid. Keep pumping the brake pedal, move some fluid, the leak will turn up.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote