SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
mfhjr
mfhjr is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 L200 - No speedometer, Fans Running

Hello all,

Trying to help a friend with her 01 L200. Problems started with a vibration in the front end at 45 - 50 mph, then I lost the speedometer, and now the cooling fans run all the time on high.

I replaced the speed sensor on the trans twice and still no speedometer but have a P0502 code with no CEL. When the speedometer went out the trans started shifting hard (when first starting trans will not shift until 3500 rpm). I noticed one time when I had the front end jacked up to check the speedometer that the ABS pump was making a noise and for some reason it seemed to be causing the vibration in the front end. I removed the fuses to the ABS and the vibration went away. Checked the wiring and connector to the speed sensor, could not find any breaks or problems. I have noticed that the cooling fans do not start running until after the trans shift for the first time then they stay running until I shut the car off. I have replace the BCM, TPS and VSS. Nor sure if her ECM is possessed by demons??

Any help, advice, or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mfhjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mfhjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mfhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L200 - No speedometer, Fans Running

Your report of cooling fans engaging after experiencing hard shifts is not new. Other members have reported this occurrence in parallel with your experience although the hard shifts had a different root for that problem. I have come to the conclusion that the cooling fans running at high speed is a fail safe default when the PCM is lacking important sensor data to tell it that all systems are functioning normally (this is a personal opinion only). Failing to recognize normal operation and sensing additional performance errors the PCM sends a command to the FCM to turn on the cooling fans when they would not otherwise be needed.

With that in mind, I believe that the speedometer/speed sensor problem and the vibration problem appear to be separate issues. Of pressing concern would seem to be the lack of a working speedometer.

Questions:
1) Since you replaced the sensor twice with no success, did you use the same brand of product both times or were they different each time?
2) Do you have access to an online manual source like AllDataDIY or Mitchell Manuals online? I have a 2000 L-Series FSM and could send you information from it. Send me a p/m with an email address.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
mfhjr
mfhjr is on a distinguished road

pierrot, thank you for the reply. I did use two different vendors for the replacement VSS's. I do not have access to AllData or Mitchell. I will try and figure out how to send a p/m with my email. thanks once again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mfhjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mfhjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mfhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Did you receive my email?

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfhjr View Post
Hello all,
Trying to help a friend with her 01 L200. Problems started with a vibration in the front end at 45 - 50 mph, then I lost the speedometer, and now the cooling fans run all the time on high.
Does this happen with or without pressing on the brakes? Would you describe what kinda vibration is it felt through vibrations.

Quote:
I replaced the speed sensor on the trans twice and still no speedometer but have a P0502 code with no CEL. When the speedometer went out the trans started shifting hard (when first starting trans will not shift until 3500 rpm).
This is a solenoid issue called slam shift 1-2 if this is what happens and replacement of solenoid is in order here. The VSS AFAIK doesn't have anything to do with slam shift.

Quote:
I noticed one time when I had the front end jacked up to check the speedometer that the ABS pump was making a noise and for some reason it seemed to be causing the vibration in the front end.
How did you see it was making noise when you lifted it up?

Quote:
I removed the fuses to the ABS and the vibration went away. Checked the wiring and connector to the speed sensor, could not find any breaks or problems.
This would require someone with more experience to know what is really going on here.

Quote:
I have noticed that the cooling fans do not start running until after the trans shift for the first time then they stay running until I shut the car off. I have replace the BCM, TPS and VSS. Nor sure if her ECM is possessed by demons??
This would indicate a defective Fan Module that is shorted out and will run the fan regardless of what the temp sensor says and will eventually burn out the fan if you don't fix this ASAP. I know from experience.....

Quote:
Any help, advice, or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Only if there is maintenance history so those reading know where to point to look for other problems related.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
This is a solenoid issue called slam shift 1-2 if this is what happens and replacement of solenoid is in order here. The VSS AFAIK doesn't have anything to do with slam shift.
I can understand this response, however, it also demonstrates why one should be careful about making certain statements without the benefit of some background knowledge. In this case, the DTC P0502 can result in hard shifts. The only way to know this is to have access to a FSM, and I couldn't have known otherwise. Could it be necessary to replace a shift solenoid? Maybe, but that's a hasty recommendation at this time. It can only be considered after the primary issue has been resolved.
Quote:
This would indicate a defective Fan Module that is shorted out and will run the fan regardless of what the temp sensor says and will eventually burn out the fan if you don't fix this ASAP. I know from experience.....
Experience is a useful teacher to us all. How do you know that it's his problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I can understand this response, however, it also demonstrates why one should be careful about making certain statements without the benefit of some background knowledge. In this case, the DTC P0502 can result in hard shifts. The only way to know this is to have access to a FSM, and I couldn't have known otherwise. Could it be necessary to replace a shift solenoid? Maybe, but that's a hasty recommendation at this time. It can only be considered after the primary issue has been resolved.
And here we go again people not reading what I said but thinking for what I said. Did you see 'AFAIK" was saying it could be something else? So STOP speaking for me when you don't know what I said ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Experience is a useful teacher to us all. How do you know that it's his problem?
And here we go again trying to talk people down if doing so floats your boat go to another place would this isn't what we need here. Since sounds like you don't like my opinions and experiences I could care less-do more and I will report this as problem poster. And when you quote posts one should not change how it is posted as that goes to show one true color that they resent another poster. Got problem with my opinions and experiences posting don't bother to post reply to it then.

Last edited by Russet; 09-12-2017 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: revise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:41 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Interesting reply! Thanks, Russet!
Quote:
And here we go again people not reading what I said but thinking for what I said. Did you see 'AFAIK" was saying it could be something else?
You are correct about how you used "AFAIK" as a qualifying element in the second sentence I quoted. I was wrong regarding that concern. On the other hand, the first sentence quoted was framed quite differently by you and that is why I referred to it as a hasty repair recommendation.

Quote:
So STOP speaking for me when you don't know what I said ok.
I have no idea how what I wrote came close to suggesting that I was speaking for you. I wrote for myself as an observer of your comments.

Quote:
And here we go again trying to talk people down if doing so floats your boat go to another place would this isn't what we need here.
If you found anything condescending in my post where I asked how you knew something then perhaps you misunderstood me. My attempt was to be as clear as possible as to what it was that I was seeking an answer to. I'm wanting to understand your reasoning. If it's well thought out then there's no way that the question I posed should trouble you.

Quote:
Since sounds like you don't like my opinions and experiences
Wrong. We all have experiences and they are valuable to us - you and me. However, experiences alone form an inadequate basis of an opinion on any subject, whether it's an opinion I share or one shared by someone else - and all the more so when referring to automotive electronic repairs like the one this thread is concerned with. I would never say that someone is not entitled to hold an opinion merely because they have only experience to rely upon. However, neither I, nor anyone else, should be expecting to have their opinions to go unscrutinized or unchallenged.

Quote:
I could care less-do more and I -will report this as problem poster.
Thank you for the warning. If you think it justified then submit a problem post report. I can handle the criticism. If the administrator agrees with you then so be it.

Quote:
And when you quote posts one should not change how it is posted as that goes to show one true color that they resent another poster.
I truncate quoted segments to save space within the post and also because the other elements don't relate to the item I'm concerned with. Additionally, any reader can scroll upwards in the thread to see where the quote segments which I'd used were origianlly taken from and compare my use of them. A careful reader will recognize if I have taken a quote out of context or not. To the best of my knowledge, I resent no poster within SaturnFans. In truth, there are things which I genuinely do resent. SaturnFans members who create posts are not among them.

Quote:
Got problem with my opinions and experiences posting don't bother to post reply to it then.
It's a public free forum where people voluntarily sign up to be a part of it. No one is forced to post a single word here if they don't want to and that goes for both of us. Do I have a problem with your opinions and experiences? That was answered above.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-14-2017 at 03:48 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!