SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
GorillaG
GorillaG is on a distinguished road

Question 2000 sw2 sputters and struggles to accelerate

My 2000 sw2 sputters and struggles to accelerate after ive driven it for an hour or two on my mail route (its a RHD postal wagon version) It did this a couple weeks ago so bad it would only idle. I idled in to a service station and replaced the fuel filter, at first it still didnt seem to accelerate properly (it bucked and stalled) but by the next day it was running strong. Now its been 2 weeks and it runs great cold but after awhile it begins to falter when i accelerate, i can get it to go fast but i have to "creep up" on the accelerator, as the day goes on it gets worse and worse. If i turn it off and restart it, it will run better for a bit then get worse quickly. The mechanic checked the fuel line pressure and its fine at idle. He thinks its the fuel pump going out but i thought they usually just go out all at once. Someone else said if the coil pack is cracked it would act up as the car warmed up. When I was searching for the computer test port under the dash I found two grounds coming out of the wiring harness that were not grounded, im going to anchor those but i dont know if that could be a factor. any advice will be appreciated.
GorillaG is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 sw2 sputters and struggles to accelerate

Check for the infamous engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) crack in the How-to section to compare the original resin tipped one with the replacement brass one, including pictures. There should be a thread by someone 'aux_mike' with excellent pictures on removal/replacement. This coolant sensor either fails with the resulting constant rich mixture and high idle or lean mixture with occasional backfiring.

If its not the coolant sensor we'll go to the EGR valve next................................
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote