SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 04-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Squid4395
Squid4395 is on a distinguished road

Default Anti theft system problems 2006 Vue

It's a dash board light. It's a car with a lock on it. When it comes on, the car wont start. It cuts off the gas supply. I've had my 2006 V6 Vue for about 6 weeks now. I've had this problem 4 times.
You have to reset the Key. It takes about 10 to 15min for this to work.
My sister has the same car but a V4. She had the same problem also.

I was wondering if any other 2006 Vue owners have or had the same thing happen to them.

Robdelvalle@verizon.net
Squid4395 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
UForgotten
UForgotten is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Anti theft system problems 2006 Vue

Pardon me for asking, but are you unlocking the door with the key after it had been locked electronically? Have you been having problems with your keyfob?
If you lock it with the keyfob, and do not unlock it with the keyfob, this will happen, it's designed to do so.
UForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #3
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by UForgotten
If you lock it with the keyfob, and do not unlock it with the keyfob, this will happen, it's designed to do so.
Actually, it is not. Turning the proper key in the ignition will disarm the Content Theft Deterrent and Passlock systems... regardless of how the car was locked.

Take it to the dealer - you probably have a bad passlock sensor.

~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

I agree with DJ, sounds like a passlock sensor unless you had a aftermarket remote start installed. If you did, its most likely the passlock module for the remote start.
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
UForgotten

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR

That's not what I was told by the dealer. They told me the key reset is only if you lose the keyfob or it stops working, because you have to arm and disarm it from the keyfob.
I'll be consulting my owner's manual tonight and will try it myself.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by UForgotten
That's not what I was told by the dealer. They told me the key reset is only if you lose the keyfob or it stops working, because you have to arm and disarm it from the keyfob.
I'll be consulting my owner's manual tonight and will try it myself.
Your dealer needs to consult the manual
~D.J.~
Old 04-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
Squid4395
Squid4395 is on a distinguished road

I've been using the remote to unlock the doors...
As far as the Remote Starter... It's an after market unit, but it's offered by Saturn and they installed it too....
I looked at the manual and I couldn't find anything that would explain what the deal is...
I'll be taking it back to the dealer again anyway. Lets see what they find...
Thanks
Squid4395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I bet it's a problem with the remote starter and/or its installation.

I'm sure the dealer will take care of it for you.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
RicksVue
RicksVue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
I bet it's a problem with the remote starter and/or its installation.

I'm sure the dealer will take care of it for you.
Yeah, that's sounds like it's the likely cause. You mention in the original post that your sister has the same problem. Did she get the same remote starter installed?
-Rick
RicksVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #10
UForgotten

2006 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
Your dealer needs to consult the manual
Yeah, they do. They even made it a point to explain to always use the keyfob during the delivery. It wouldn't be the first time they've been wrong about something...
Which is why I love coming to these forums and proving them wrong!
Old 04-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #11
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

You can bet its the passlock bypass module that was installed with your aftermarket car starter that is causing the problem.
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

IF I lock the doors with the RKE fob and then open them with the KEY on my VUE (2005) It WILL set off the alarm

(Read your owner's manual)

This depends of course on how the RKE/Security system options are set

Which can be changed by the OWNER without a trip to the dealer.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
IF I lock the doors with the RKE fob and then open them with the KEY on my VUE (2005) It WILL set off the alarm

This depends of course on how the RKE/Security system options are set

Which can be changed by the OWNER without a trip to the dealer.

Yes, it will set off the alarm, after a delay, which can be set in the tech-II or turned off (15 seconds is default)... You can still stick your key in the ignition and turn it on and the alarm will disarm and the car will start, though.
~D.J.~
Old 04-13-2006, 01:56 AM   #14
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

As a simple expirement, after unlocking the doors with the OEM remote (not the remote starter remote) use the remote starter to start the car. Then insert the key (as you usually would) and turn it to run. Do this consistantly for a few days. If the problem does NOT occur whne using this method, the problem is with the remote starter's bypass module and/or how it was installed.

(NOTE: The odds of TWO Vues, owned by members of the same family, BOTH with remote starters having the SAME problem and it NOT being related to the aftermarket remote starter/bypass module are very slim.)
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #15
wolfman

Putting the key in the ignition and turning it WON'T disarm the system (passlock NOT passkey) you MUST use the remote here is the skinny right from the owner's manual: (note text highlighted in RED)

Remote Keyless Entry System Operation
With this feature, you can lock and unlock the doors from about 32 feet (10 m) away using the remote keyless entry transmitter supplied with your vehicle.

(Lock): Press this button on the remote keyless entry transmitter to lock the doors. This also arms the theft-deterrent system. See "Theft-Deterrent System" following for information on arming the theft-deterrent system.

Your vehicle can be programmed so that the parking lamps or Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) will flash and/or the horn will sound when you lock the doors with the remote keyless entry transmitter. See your retailer for more information on programming this feature.

(Unlock)
Press this button on the remote keyless entry transmitter to unlock the driver's door. This also disarms the theft-deterrent system. See "Theft-Deterrent System" following for information on disarming the theft-deterrent system. Press the button again within 5 seconds to unlock the rest of the doors.

Your vehicle can be programmed so that the parking lamps or DRL will flash and/or the horn will sound when you unlock the doors with the remote keyless entry transmitter. See your retailer for more information on programming this feature.

(Panic Alarm)
Press the button with the horn symbol when the ignition is turned off. The horn will sound and the parking lamps or DRL and dome lamp will flash for up to two minutes. To stop the panic alarm, press this button again.

Theft-Deterrent System
The remote keyless entry transmitter is used to arm/disarm the theft-deterrent system. Your vehicle's theft-deterrent system can be programmed to three different modes.

Active Arming
The system will arm when the lock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed. The system will disarm when the unlock button is pressed.

Passive Arming
The system will arm itself one minute after the ignition is turned off and the driver's door has been opened and closed. If the lock button on the transmitter is pressed before the minute has passed, the system will arm immediately. The system will disarm when the unlock button is pressed.

Security System Disable
The system will not arm.

To change the mode that your vehicle is programmed to, do the following:

Turn the ignition to RUN or ACC.
Press the panic alarm button on the transmitter slowly four times within five seconds.
You must complete one of the following within three seconds to change the mode.
To select the active arming mode, press the lock button on the transmitter.
To select the passive arming mode, press the lock button on the transmitter twice within 3 seconds.
To select the security system disable mode, press the unlock button on the transmitter.
A chime will sound once the mode has been selected.

If you accidentally set off the alarm when entering/exiting the vehicle, you can shut it off by pressing any button on the remote keyless entry transmitter other than the panic alarm button.

If you hear three horn chirps when you press the unlock button on the transmitter, that means the vehicle's alarm was triggered while you were away.

Matching Transmitter(s) to Your Vehicle
Each remote keyless entry transmitter is coded to prevent another transmitter from unlocking your vehicle. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased through your retailer. Remember to bring any remaining transmitters with you when you go to your retailer. When the retailer matches the replacement transmitter to your vehicle, any remaining transmitters must also be matched. Once your retailer has coded the new transmitter, the lost transmitter will not unlock your vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmitters matched to it.

Battery Replacement
Under normal use, the battery in your remote keyless entry transmitter should last about four years.

You can tell the battery is weak if the transmitter will not work at the normal range in any location. If you have to get close to your vehicle before the transmitter works, it is probably time to change the battery.

Notice
When replacing the battery, use care not to touch any of the circuitry. Static from your body transferred to these surfaces may damage the transmitter.

Use a flat thin object to pry open the transmitter.

Once the transmitter is separated, use a pencil or similar object to remove the old battery. Do not use a metal object.
Insert the new battery as the instructions under the cover indicate.
Snap the transmitter back together tightly to be sure no moisture can enter.
Check the operation of the transmitter.
If the transmitter does not work, try synchronizing your transmitter with your receiver. See "Resynchronization" for more information.

Resynchronization
This is used to keep the transmitter of the vehicle communicating with the receiver of the vehicle. Resynchronization may be required due to the security method used by this system.

Your vehicle has an automatic resynchronization function built into the system. If your transmitter is not working properly and you have to manually resynchronize, press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for seven seconds while you are near your vehicle. The doors will lock or unlock, depending on their starting position. If they do not, contact your retailer for service.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #16
wolfman

MORE (Again NOTE TEXT IN RED)

Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) Description and Operation
The Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) System, when armed, is designed to deter vehicle content theft by pulsing the horns and exterior lamps for approximately 2 minutes when an unauthorized vehicle entry is detected. However, the CTD System does not affect engine starting.

An unauthorized entry can be any of the following with the CTD System armed:

When any door is opened without being unlocked by using the keyless entry transmitter to unlock the doors.
When opening a door or the trunk with the correct key without disarming the CTD System.
The components of the system are:

Body control module
Door ajar switches
Arming the CTD System

Important
The content theft deterrent (CTD) System can be armed with the windows or sunroof open.

Use the following procedure in order to arm the system:

Place the shift lever in P (park).
Turn OFF the ignition.
Open any door.

Important
The system is not armed if the doors are locked manually, the remote keyless entry transmitter must be used to arm the CTD System.

Lock the doors with the LOCK button on the transmitter. The system is in arm pending mode and will not start the arming timer until all doors are closed. The security indicator will remain OFF, until the CTD System is armed. The CTD System will arm after the last door is closed.
The system will arm approximately 30 seconds from the time that the last door is closed. During this delay the THEFT SYSTEM indicator will be OFF. When the indicator transitions to FLASHING, the system is armed.
Locking The Vehicle Without Arming The CTD System
Locking the vehicle may be accomplished without arming the Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) System. Use of the manual door locks or using the key to lock the doors will lock the vehicle but will not arm the CTD System.

Disarming an Armed System/Silencing an Alarm
If system arming has been requested by the keyless entry transmitter, it must be disarmed.

Important
Using the power door unlock switch or manually unlocking the doors does not disable the Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) armed mode. Also, disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses does not disable the armed mode, since the body control module (BCM) stores the CTD mode status in memory.

To disarm the CTD System in arm pending mode, SECURITY indicator flashing and doors open, perform one of the following:
Press the UNLOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter.
Insert a valid key into the ignition and start the vehicle.
To disarm the CTD System in the armed mode:
To disarm the CTD System when activated, alarming mode.
CTD Circuit Description
The following is a description of each component used in the Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) System:

Body Control Module (BCM)
The CTD system is an internal function of the body control module (BCM) which utilizes class 2 serial data and various switch input information to perform CTD functions. When the BCM detects an unauthorized entry, it activates the horns and exterior lamps.

When the BCM detects an unauthorized entry, the BCM enters the alarm mode. The BCM activates the horns and exterior lamps for 2 minutes. This is followed by a three minute time-out with the horn no longer active. If no new intrusions are detected after the time-out, the horn is not active. The system must be disarmed or the intrusion condition removed after the time-out for the system to exit alarm mode.

Door Ajar Switches
The CTD system uses the door ajar switches in the door jambs as one method to activate the alarm. The BCM monitors all door ajar switches via a discrete input from each door ajar switch, including the rear compartment. If the BCM receives a ground signal from a door ajar switch when the CTD system is armed, the BCM activates the alarm.

Inputs
The BCM monitors the following inputs:

Driver and passenger door ajar switches
Rear compartment ajar switch
Transmitter LOCK/UNLOCK buttons, internal function of the BCM
Passlock™ Status-the BCM uses the passlock™ status for disarming the system or silencing and alarm when the correct key is used.
Outputs
The BCM controls the following:

The horn relay
The exterior lights
Old 04-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #17
wolfman

Theft deterrant system is NOT part of the Content theft system:

Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) Description and Operation
Passlock™ System
The theft deterrent system has been incorporated into the body control module (BCM). The theft deterrent is provided in order to prevent the vehicle operation if the correct key is not used in order to start the vehicle. The ignition key turns the lock cylinder. The cylinder rotation produces an analog voltage code in the Passlock™ sensor. This voltage code is received by the BCM. The BCM compares the voltage code to the previously learned voltage code. If the codes match, a class 2 message is sent from the BCM to the powertrain control module (PCM)/vehicle control module (VCM). The message enables the fuel injectors.The design of the Passlock™ system is to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless the ignition lock cylinder rotates properly by engaging the correct ignition key. The system is similar in concept to the PASS-Key® system. However, the Passlock™ system eliminates the need for a key mounted resistor pellet. The components of the Passlock™ system are as follows:

The ignition lock cylinder
The ignition switch
The Passlock™ sensor
The BCM
The security telltale
The VCM/PCM
Ignition Lock Cylinder and Housing
The ignition lock cylinder is located at the upper right side of the steering column. The Passlock™ sensor is in the steering column. The Passlock™ sensor is separate from the key and lock cylinder. The key and the lock cylinder work together in order to determine if the proper ignition key was used to start the vehicle.

In the event of an open class 2 serial data line between the body control module (BCM) and the vehicle control module (VCM)/powertrain control module (PCM), the vehicle will become fail-enabled if the VCM/PCM has already received the password from the BCM for that ignition cycle, the engine is running. In this event, the following conditions occur:

The security telltale will be ON continuously.
The VCM/PCM will become fail-enabled for future ignition cycles.
If a failure in the class 2 serial data line occurs before the ignition cycle, when the VCM/PCM is not fail-enabled, the following conditions occur:

The VCM/PCM will never receive a valid password in order to enable the fuel injectors.
The vehicle will not start.

Ignition Switch
The lock cylinder and the visible key insert portion of the ignition switch are located at the upper right side of the steering column. The electrical switching portion of the assembly is separate from the key and lock cylinder. The electrical switch portion is hidden inside the steering column. The electrical switch portion and the key and lock cylinder synchronize and work in conjunction through the action of the mechanical assembly between the 2 parts.

Passlock™ Sensor
The Passlock™ sensor is inside the ignition cylinder lock housing. The Passlock™ sensor contains 2 hall effect sensors. The tamper hall effect sensor is on the top. The security hall effect sensor is under the tamper hall effect sensor. Both of the hall effect sensors monitor the magnet of the lock cylinder through an opening. The tamper hall effect sensor is physically placed on top of the security hall effect sensor. This arrangement enables the tamper hall effect sensor to engage first if an intruder attempts to bypass the Passlock™ sensor by placing a large magnet around that area of the steering column. There is a tamper resistor inside the Passlock™ sensor in order to help prevent tamper to the system. Passlock™ equipped vehicles have a selection of 10 different security resistors ranging from 0.5K ohms up to 13.6K ohms. Installing one of the security resistors inside the Passlock™ sensor will generate a unique Passlock™ code. All 10 combinations of the Passlock™ sensor have the same part number. However, you cannot simply replace the Passlock™ sensor and expect the system to operate properly. Always start by performing the Diagnostic System Check first and following the instructions.

Body Control Module
The body control module (BCM) contains the theft deterrent system logic. The BCM reads the Passlock™ data from the Passlock™ sensor. If the Passlock™ data is correct, the BCM will pass theft. The BCM will then transmit the fuel continue password to the vehicle control module (VCM)/powertrain control module (PCM).

During the tamper mode the vehicle may start. The vehicle will then stall. If the BCM receives the wrong Passlock™ data, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) will immediately go into the tamper mode. The tamper mode will lock-out the vehicle fuel injectors for 10 minutes. The SECURITY indicator will flash while the VTD is in the tamper mode.
If the Passlock™ sensor sends a correct password to the BCM when the ignition is in the ON position, the BCM will send a fuel enable signal to the VCM/PCM. The VCM/PCM will not disable the fuel due to any BCM message for the remainder of the ignition cycle.

SECURITY Telltale
The SECURITY telltale appears on the message center inside the instrument cluster. If the SECURITY telltale flashes or if the SECURITY telltale lights continuously during the vehicle operation, refer to the system diagnosis.

Vehicle/Powertrain Control Module
The vehicle control module (VCM)/powertrain control module (PCM) communicates with the body control module (BCM) over the class 2 serial data line. When the BCM determines a no start condition, it sends a class 2 serial data password to the VCM/PCM in order to disable the fuel injection system. If the BCM receives the expected voltage from the Passlock™ sensor, the BCM sends a class 2 serial data password to the VCM/PCM in order to enable the fuel injection system. The VCM/PCM then allows the vehicle to start correctly. If the class 2 serial data password from the BCM to the VCM/PCM is not within the Vehicle Security Status Message, the fuel injectors will shut OFF during a start attempt. The SECURITY telltale will be illuminated for 10 minutes. If the VCM/PCM does not receive the same password from the BCM as the last learned one, the vehicle will start and then stalls due to the Fuel Lockout.

Fuel Lockout Cycle
The Passlock™ system has a lockout cycle of approximately 10 minutes. Once the vehicle is in the lockout cycle, the vehicle remains in the lockout cycle for 10 minutes, even if the ignition switch is turned from the RUN position to the OFF position.

The Passlock™ system uses the lockout cycle in order to synchronize all of the Passlock™ components when any Passlock™ related part is changed. The Passlock™ system requires 3 consecutive lockout cycles in order to complete the 30 minute learn procedure for a changed component.

Changing the Passlock™ Components
The design of the Passlock™ system is to prevent theft even if the various theft deterrent parts change. The parts that can no longer be changed without the possibility of going into a tamper mode are:

The Passlock™ sensor
The body control module (BCM)
The vehicle control module (VCM)/powertrain control module (PCM)
If you replace any of these parts the vehicle may start and stall for 10 minutes. This is the long tamper mode. If this occurs, the system must go through a long tamper mode cycle. During this time the SECURITY telltale will be flashing for the full 10 minutes and the DTC B3031 will be set. The BCM and the VCM/PCM require the full 10 minutes in order to complete a learn cycle. The ignition switch must remain in the RUN position until the SECURITY telltale stops flashing. You will need to repeat the cycle if the ignition switch does not remain in the RUN position. When replacing any of the above parts it is recommended to perform the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components procedure.

The design of the Passlock™ system is to prevent the vehicle operation if the proper ignition key is not used in order to start the vehicle. The mechanical key, in normal operation, will turn the ignition lock cylinder. The Passlock™ sensor monitoring the position of the lock cylinder will relay the Passlock™ data to the BCM. The BCM will determine the validity of the Passlock™ data. The BCM will send a fuel continue password to the VCM/PCM. When the VCM/PCM receives the correct password the VCM/PCM allows the fuel injectors to operate normally. The Passlock™ system requires the VCM/PCM and the BCM to communicate the various functions in order to operate. These functions transmit over the class 2 serial data line. For an explanation of the class 2 serial data description and operation, refer to Data Link Communications Description and Operation in Computer/Integrating Systems.