SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 07:58 PM   #1
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Comments on the Vue & Sky

Well, I'm always giving my opinion on things, so I thought I'd share someone else's vue this time. My parents' newspaper had an article today on the VUE in the weekly "Wheels" section, and also a brief article on the Sky. I showed it to my brother Scott, who really dislikes SUV's in general, and he actually said it looks pretty nice. He said that's how all SUV's should be (reasonably sized, fuel efficient, etc.). He asked me why they chose the spelling that they did for the name, and all I could do was shrug my shoulders. He agrees with me that the name is pretty stupid, but he said "View" would have been okay. I agree that it would at least be a little better with the proper spelling.

As for the Sky, the article stated that it was geared toward youth. He said, and I quote, "It might appeal more to girls. It looks too cute and bubbly, like a Barbie car or something." Haha! I knew I wasn't alone in that opinion!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2001, 04:00 PM   #2
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Post Re: Comments on the Vue & Sky

Quote:
Originally posted by VTHOKIE97SL2

As for the Sky, the article stated that it was geared toward youth. He said, and I quote, "It might appeal more to girls. It looks too cute and bubbly, like a Barbie car or something." Haha! I knew I wasn't alone in that opinion!
I posted this several months ago and took some grief for it but I believe that the reason the Sky prototype looked like it might appeal to a girl was its sky blue color. When I visualize the same car shown, painted traditional racing colors like Ferarri red, British racing green or German silver I see a very retro looking roadster. To each his (or her) own but I understand where your brother is coming from.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:55 PM   #3
Plastic Gravity

Default Re: Re: Comments on the Vue & Sky

Quote:
Originally posted by John6

I posted this several months ago and took some grief for it but I believe that the reason the Sky prototype looked like it might appeal to a girl was its sky blue color. When I visualize the same car shown, painted traditional racing colors like Ferarri red, British racing green or German silver I see a very retro looking roadster. To each his (or her) own but I understand where your brother is coming from.
I actually thought the color was part of the whole image, being the car is a converible named SKY. I can see Saturn taking this a little further, making the car only available in sky colors....blue, silvers, gray, whites, maybe an early morning orange, eh? Very VWesque. The color didn't bug me. The name was clearly aimed at women. Other things about the car really bug me. Namely the weak front end styling, the center mounted pod, and the fact that its an Oldsmobile handme down. It kinda mocks what Saturn is, or was, anyway.

My wife and I stopped to look at a TT Quattro Coupe today, wow, what a looker. If Saturn keeps shooting itself in the foot, I think this may be my next car.

Old 11-25-2001, 01:35 AM   #4
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
>>and the fact that its an Oldsmobile handme down. It kinda mocks what Saturn is, or was, anyway.<<

Interesting comment, because I have always believed that Saturn would not have existed if Olds had not discontinued its small car line. The Saturn classic SC seemed somewhat original but the first SL models clearly inherited design lines from other GM prototypes.
I wish you luck with moving to a Quatro if you can afford it. Sorry to see you leave Saturn but given the theme of most of your comments I think you will be far happier moving in that direction. There are several other makes that already produce a product closer to the profile that you show as desirable and I really don't think that is the future in which Saturn is headed.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:23 AM   #5
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by John6
The Saturn classic SC seemed somewhat original but the first SL models clearly inherited design lines from other GM prototypes.
I wish you luck with moving to a Quatro if you can afford it. Sorry to see you leave Saturn but given the theme of most of your comments I think you will be far happier moving in that direction.
My SC has served me very well. Its still a beautiful car. I'd just like some more power, nicer interior materials, and some measure of backbone in the company making it... I love having the polymer panels, you can park anywhere. The TT is doable. That's another example of GM/Saturns screwing up...I started out with Saturn, now that I can afford something much nicer and more expensive they not only don't have something to offer me, Ive grown to hate GM's management along the way. I've just always been hopeful Saturn would get its ***** together. I'd really miss the banter around here too

I have to disagree with your olds assesment, even though I agree that the rear window of the original SLs was nearly identical to the cutlass supreme 4 doors. Olds still had there small cars at that time too! Remember the Acheiva SCX Coupe? I always thought that was such a great little car. Olds and GM did absolutely nothing to promote it! Clean styling, good performance, nice interior. Only problem was the loud engine and a lack of respect from both GM and the automotive press.

Old 11-25-2001, 11:02 AM   #6
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Plastic Gravity
[B]
>>I'd really miss the banter around here too<<
Don't worry, owning a Saturn has never been a condition for participating here.

>>I have to disagree with your olds assesment, even though I agree that the rear window of the original SLs was nearly identical to the cutlass supreme 4 doors. Olds still had there small cars at that time too! Remember the Acheiva SCX Coupe? <<

Actually the front end of the first SL's also reminded me somewhat of Olds. Do you remember the abandoned Olds Starfires from the late 1970's? Some where I have stored away some old GM card photos of prototypes and I often thought how both Olds and the early Saturns used some of those shape design ideas from many years earlier. Of course the internal engineering and design of both cars was far different.
Old 11-25-2001, 04:54 PM   #7
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

I would aslo suggest you look at a new Toyota MR2 Spyder, while not that powerful, they are very nice cars. My mom fell in love with it when we were shopping for her new car after I got the Saturn. Even though she drives something completely different now, she was almost ready to buy it.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:24 PM   #8
SATURNFAN13185-2
SATURNFAN13185-2 is on a distinguished road

Plastic G--I bought a Dodge seven months ago, and I still post here. No problems there. I agree that Saturn needs to "grow up" in its product lines.

And to the others, I think the original SL's did look like an Oldsmobile Cutlass, especially with that back window that wrapped around the back of the cabin. Very original ;-)

Ed
Old 11-26-2001, 12:26 AM   #9
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

The name may be stupid, to you, but you cant trademark "View", like they did with "VUE".
Old 11-26-2001, 02:07 AM   #10
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by saturncanuck
The name may be stupid, to you, but you cant trademark "View", like they did with "VUE".
Last time I checked, "SKY" was still public domain.

Re: Vue...Its clever. Its cute. Its also hard to say without wondering if somethings amiss. And I don't think the name would have bothered me, until the SKY and ION names came out in all thier 3 lettered glory.

Old 11-26-2001, 12:34 PM   #11
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Well, names aside, I think the VUE should do pretty well. I've heard mostly positive things about it. I'll enjoy seeing Saturn embarrass the other automakers the next time there's an SUV bumper test! The 5 mph car height bumpers, along with the polymer panels, should give the VUE the ruggedness it needs to survive where it'll be driven most - to the supermarket parking lot!

(I'll never get used to that stupid name, though! )
Old 11-26-2001, 12:42 PM   #12
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saturncanuck
Maybe, but plenty of cars use legitimate English words.

Incidentally, I suspect the trademark issue is what led to Amtrak naming its revamped northeast rail service "Acela". "Accela" would have been a little closer to the word acceleration, from which they claim it's derived, but Accela was already taken by another business. So, they chose a name that sounds even more stupid!

Speaking of trains, look at what a friend of mine posted on one of the railroad related message boards! LOL! He knew I'd be reading that thread, so he wrote this...

"I'd like to see General Motors get involved in the locomotive industry and design a new engine based on their Saturn models. The slogan can be "a different kind of train." The new models can be named after Saturn's modern naming system. Instead of the Amtrak Acela Express you will see the SatTrak VUE/XPRS. The ticketing on the trains will also work out like Saturn, where the tickets will be somewhat overpriced but you won't have to haggle with the conductors. The commercials can be vague, without meaning, or more oriented to the female clientele - which is an important sector of the population. And of course, every SatTrak will come with dent resistant polymer side panels."
Old 11-26-2001, 06:45 PM   #13
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Given the linkage of the name Saturn to space and science, I think ION is the only one of the three 3 letter words that remains true to the original Saturn theme. The word "ion" relates to physics, charged particles and a propulsion system envisioned for deep space exploration. Independent of the other two three letter names it actually makes sense on its own.
Closed Thread