SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
tld
tld is on a distinguished road

Default New Appreciation for my Saturn

I just have to say, I have a new appreciation for my Saturn. Until a couple of weeks ago I had a 2000 SL2, then 2 weeks ago bought a 2005 Ion2. I got in a winter weather related accident with my Ion after owning it for 6 days and now am driving a rental car until March 9th.

First I had an '05 Chevy Impala with 1200 miles on it...the car was just a boat compared to my Ion. I am a 5'1" female and had a terrible time driving that car so I brought it back to Enterprise and now have an '05 Chevy Malibu with 12 miles on it, i'm the first driver apparently.
I really dislike this car too. It is CRAZY loud engine wise, the steering is so stiff I am forced to use two hands practically at all times and the gas pedal is also really really stiff. The break pedal is nice though.

I definitely always loved my saturns, although the SL2 was a little on the loud side also but I LOVE the Ion. I guess I just thought "of course it runs great and smooth it is brand new"...but I'm starting to think that isn't just the case.
I've now had 2 other brand new cars this week and really dislike driving them both. The saturn steering is just so SMOOTH and easy and it is farily quiet and the ride is very nice.
Man, I want March 9th to come so I can have my car back!

tld
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE
Default Re: New Appreciation for my Saturn

Go to hear. Nice to hear someone that appreciates their car. Does the '05 Chevy Malibu have electric power steering like the Ion? Ask for a Cobalt maybe if they have one. They have to be as close as you can get to an Ion.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
tld

i'm thinking the malibu does not have the same steering as the Ion.

I don't really think of the Ion as a tiny car, it is perfect for me, all of these other midsize and larger sedans I've been driving feel HUGE! I feel like I'm parking a boat
Old 02-27-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
i'm thinking the malibu does not have the same steering as the Ion.

I don't really think of the Ion as a tiny car, it is perfect for me, all of these other midsize and larger sedans I've been driving feel HUGE! I feel like I'm parking a boat
The ION is about as big a car as I ever want to drive. It seems huge in comparison to the s series.
Nice you found even more to like about your ION. I drove my 95 SL1 5m to work twice last week [it hadn't been run in a couple of weeks] and really looked forward to getting back in the ION, [even as much as I enjoy driving the manual and the SL is so fun to drive]. It's soooo comfortable and sits so tall. It just seems so sturdy, like a tank. Easy to drive and quiet, just the thing for a long commute home from work.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

I think the Ion is as big as I would want to go too until I would have any possible future children. I think the Ion is only six inches shorter than a Grand Am. It's not big, but it isn't small either.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
97_Saturn_SL2
97_Saturn_SL2 is on a distinguished road

I assume this Malibu was one of the "Classic" (old body style) rental specials. That car was ok when it came out in '97, but it is a little behind today.

The new Malibu is nicer than the Ion (IMO), on the other hand. The base version has the same engine that is in the Ion, (actually, so does the "Classic" rental car Malibu). It should not be louder than the Ion in the Malibu (the epsilon mid-size chassis is in a higher price class than the delta small car chassis on which the Ion is based, so it should not have LESS sound-deadener). *shrug*

The Impalas are good sized cars, though, and would feel big to someone who is 5'1"! Have you ever driven a Suburban or Tahoe? I'd be interested in your experience doing that!
Old 02-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

I went through the same thing, when I got into an accident and found myself with a TrailBlazer that Enterprise stuck me with. I can't believe that they felt the need to make a Buick version of this vehicle as the TrailBlazer was soft and numb enough for me! No steering feel whatsoever, and the thing had to be one of the slowest vehicles I've ever driven, it took forever the power to kick in after hitting the throttle! Not to mention, the mushy gas pedal that felt like stepping on a sponge! And I couldn't believe it still the cruise on the stalk, even when GM has gone to great lengths to put it on the steering wheel like everyone else!

I don't think I've ever been so unimpressed with a vehicle in my life!
Old 02-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW2Muck
I went through the same thing, when I got into an accident and found myself with a TrailBlazer that Enterprise stuck me with. I can't believe that they felt the need to make a Buick version of this vehicle as the TrailBlazer was soft and numb enough for me! No steering feel whatsoever, and the thing had to be one of the slowest vehicles I've ever driven, it took forever the power to kick in after hitting the throttle! Not to mention, the mushy gas pedal that felt like stepping on a sponge! And I couldn't believe it still the cruise on the stalk, even when GM has gone to great lengths to put it on the steering wheel like everyone else!

I don't think I've ever been so unimpressed with a vehicle in my life!

Just wait for the Saab version!!

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."
Old 02-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #9
tld

yes, the Malibu is the "classic" I was wondering what that was all about...thanks for the info! hehe
It really is quite loud...maybe there is something wrong with it! Makes me wonder if I should have said something to them since I was the first driver taking it at 12 miles and now it has 200...probably 500 by time I return it, not many but I don't want them to think I did something to it...

I'd be curious to see a new body style malibu now!

Nope, never driven an SUV of any kind...funny though because I think nothing of it when I am a passenger but when I went to buy the Ion I sat in the driver seat of a Vue and was just thinking to myself, "no way in heck could I drive this thing...it is TOO big"...and I know the Vue isn't even that big!

Funny how you get used to something. And I agree with others, the Ion feels bigger than the S series too...I had a 2000 SL2 before the Ion and the Ion looks and feels bigger (I'm told it is actually 6 inches longer than the S so I suppose that is bigger! )

Whoo hoo.l..one week from today I should be back in my comfort zone!

tld
Old 02-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
tld

Oh and as someone said, the malibu classic was "ok in 1997 but is a little behind the times now...I can't agree more. I've been thinking all this past week, everytime I drive the thing...man, this thing just doesn't look like a 2005 brand new car...it looks so....well...old!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #11
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Saturn_SL2
The Impalas are good sized cars, though, and would feel big to someone who is 5'1"! Have you ever driven a Suburban or Tahoe? I'd be interested in your experience doing that!
I'm 5'6" and have driven a Trailblazer - now THAT was an interesting experience, especially considering I'm used to a first gen SC2! I've finally gotten used to the size of the VUE and it doesn't seem quite so big to me anymore, but if it's been awhile since I drove the VUE, it takes me a little while to adjust again.
13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k
Old 02-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #12
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie
I'm 5'6" and have driven a Trailblazer - now THAT was an interesting experience
try driving a F350 turbo diesel quad cab with an 8 foot bed and dualie in the rear. now THAT is a big truck
Old 03-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #13
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Or a 15-passenger van towing a u-haul cross-country.

At least the van was brand new.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #14
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR
Happy Re: New Appreciation for my Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Or a 15-passenger van towing a u-haul cross-country.

At least the van was brand new.
Or maybe this

Images moved to attachment by administrator.

My fire departments new AWD Ford Rescue/Pumper...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg binghamton750_1.jpg (35.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg binghamton750_6.jpg (41.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #15
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie
I'm 5'6" and have driven a Trailblazer - now THAT was an interesting experience, especially considering I'm used to a first gen SC2! I've finally gotten used to the size of the VUE and it doesn't seem quite so big to me anymore, but if it's been awhile since I drove the VUE, it takes me a little while to adjust again.
The hilarious part about my experience with the Trailblazer is that I actually found that it was worse to drive than my mom's old Expedition!

The Expedition, (at least the first gen ones like we had) feels as huge as it is, but at least the Expy didn't feel nearly as ponderous as the smaller Trailblazer. The Expy could at least get out of its own way and didn't feel so sloppy!

My mom, (who is only 5'0"!), now has a F-150 and I honestly like that better than both the Expy and the T.B. I know a lot of people here don't like Fords, but they do make some really nice trucks! I've never cared much for Chevy's trucks!
Closed Thread