SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Default Door skin repair

I took the door skin off my son's to track down some rattles, and found both latch bars were not seated in their retainer. That was good, and easily fixed.

I also found one of the mounting tabs on the skin to be broken, with only a small part of the circle that the U-nut clips onto remaining.

Is there any chance Saturn has a repair item for this, like for the clips on the A pillar grnish?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry no. But depending on which one is broken, it is probably not an issue. (Outer door skin) If you are referring to the INNER door PANEL, the "L" shaped retaining TABS can break off if at some point the panel was not properly removed. This will result in a rattle when the door is closed (CLACK!) but probably little else. I you wish, a decorative stainless steel screw can be put close to the broken clip through both the panel and underlying steel door inner panel in a predrilled hole. Use the shortest screw that will work.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

It's the outer skin, and in accorance with the first corollary to Murphy's law, it is the one with the largest "open space" next to it. It's on the front passenger's foor, leading edge, top retainer. So, there's a long unretained expanse, and it's the edge that has to stay close to the door frame as the door is opened, or else rub into the fender.

It's back together, and seems OK (though awfully close to rubbing), but I may try to build it out with some fiberglass matting and resin. I'm also considering a "plan C", adding a fastener further out toward the edge, and wonder if, by experience, anyone knows if this is viable.

Last edited by TedL; 04-24-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Closed Thread