Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
etbardensc2
etbardensc2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Question speaking of coolant...

I have a 2001 SC2. The car is pretty cool n such but I filled my coolant in November and already the low coolant sensor lit and I have to fill my coolant with "quick fill". I bought the car used in Oct. and which it listed on papers saying it was filled, it wasn't. Is the coolant not mixed properly orginally, or is it normal in the winter months to fill more than normal? It was checked in November for leaks and the guy said he didn't find any. Btw its the DOHC engine. Any ideas?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

DOHC engines of your vintage were somewhat prone to intake manifold gasket leakage - check the driver's side rear of the cylinder head / intake manifold for signs of leakage. There is an updated gasket that solves the problem.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
etbardensc2

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Okay ... I'm a little concerned. Would that wreck the engine. I am getting it checked tomorrow, but if the car is under a limited "powertrain" warranty would they cover the cost for having it looked at and possibly the pistons n stuff for it? If not, how much would this cost on average?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
etbardensc2

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Okay ... I'm a little concerned. Would that wreck the engine. I am getting it checked tomorrow, but if the car is under a limited "powertrain" warranty would they cover the cost for having it looked at and possibly the pistons n stuff for it? If not, how much would this cost on average?
Old 01-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Provided the coolant level was not allowed to drop to the point of overheating, (that would be low coolant light on, temp. gauge all the way over on HOT, HOT light on, and despite all this, driver kept right on driving anyway) NO. The gasket leak is EXTERNAL and will not cause any internal engine damage on it's own.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 01-26-2004, 12:59 PM   #6
etbardensc2

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

but if gasket isn't sealing right wouldn't coolant leak into the engine? I don't think its really leaking on the outside of it. What if coolant did leak into the engine? I'm getting an oil change. I'll see if there is any visable problems.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #7
SliverXZennon
SliverXZennon is on a distinguished road

Check your tanks on your radiator, could be a crack, that's what mine was it was going through 2 litres a day..

Sliver
Old 01-26-2004, 03:16 PM   #8
SLVR_Saturn
SLVR_Saturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by etbardensc2
but if gasket isn't sealing right wouldn't coolant leak into the engine? I don't think its really leaking on the outside of it. What if coolant did leak into the engine? I'm getting an oil change. I'll see if there is any visable problems.
Two visual checks you can do to see if the antifreeze is getting into your engine, check the antifreez in the fill tank and see if it looks milkshake-esque (the oil will slightly discolor the AF, not exactly what color it will look like with dex-cool, my experience has been with standard green AF mixing with oil). The other thing you can check is the oil dip stick. If AF is getting into the oil: 1. you will have more fluid in the pan than you should (assuming you don't have a massive oil consumer) 2. it will look "soupy" and definately NOT like regular oil. and you may even see some white chalky stuff on the top of the dip stick (that would be the vaporized AF recondensing onto the stick. 3. ALOT (more than just your typical: 'its cold out' water condensation of white exhaust. Unlike the water condensation "white smoke" this stuff with hang around and create a very nice smoke screen. If you don't see any of that either 1. none is getting in at all and you are safe. or 2. very little is getting in, not exactly safe but better off than a complete gasket/head failure, get if fixed, ASAP.

Hope that makes some semblance of sense, good luck to you!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:37 PM   #9
avanwest
avanwest is on a distinguished road

2. very little is getting in, not exactly safe but better off than a complete gasket/head failure, get if fixed, ASAP.

Has anyone else had this problem with the head gasket partially failed and coolent slowly leaking into the engine? What did you do to fix it? Do you think a little radiator stop leak would work?
Old 01-27-2004, 12:35 PM   #10
SLVR_Saturn

Quote:
Originally posted by avanwest
2. very little is getting in, not exactly safe but better off than a complete gasket/head failure, get if fixed, ASAP.

Has anyone else had this problem with the head gasket partially failed and coolent slowly leaking into the engine? What did you do to fix it? Do you think a little radiator stop leak would work?
Here's the whole story:

The second time the gasket went it was a partial leak at first that went unnoticed for about a week, when I did notice it and brought it in they could not find the problem. On my way home on that day the engine began to run hot (never overheated fortunately, heat tab was still there) so I took right back, they still couldn't find the issue and then at that point, in their parking lot the gasket completely failed again (whole truck was enveloped in a white sickly sweet smelling smoke). I got a new head (on the house, they fubared the first repair leading to the second repair).

Bars leak is NOT GOOD, it can actually gum up the system and make it worse, further, when you have it repaired right it (Bars Leak and the like are a band-aid that only slow down the failure, if that) causes all sorts of headaches for the mechanic. Basically, get the gasket replaced, its the only way to do it right and prevent future failure and damage.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:28 PM   #11
etbardensc2

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default heres the scoop...

I got my oil changed and they said there is no coolant visible. So I took it back to the dealer where I bought it from (GM certified) and gave me the run around about why I took it to a different dealership back in November to take a look at it. But anyways they said they didn't find anything. So they injected some dye in my coolant that can be read under infrared light or something and I have to come back in a week for a check up. I just don't know whats going on... and evidently I'm actually 7 says late of the warranty... so if anything is wrong I probably will have to pay. They even tried telling me my car didn't come with a powertrain warranty. I don't like whats going on. I want to take it to Saturn of Appleton but they will probably charge me big time.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
etbardensc2

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default found the leak

ok.. so this morning i moved my car... i was kinda awed to see that sure enough my coolant is leaking. I think it all spurged out from the rough start. So yeah its the intake manifold gasket. its cool cause they put a flouresent dye in the coolant and you can see it everywhere its leaking. So yeah here comes a $500 problem. Good thing is the dealer knows that the coolant light was on when I bought the car and they said they would help out with the cost of it. thanks for the advice n stuff
Old 01-30-2004, 02:14 PM   #13
jm0397
jm0397 is on a distinguished road

If it was still under warranty then, and you're not far over now, you should pitch a ***** until they foot the entire bill.

It's not the dealer that pays for it, it's Saturn, so don't fall for the "it's all on us to pay for it" bit they might give you. If you don't like the answer they give you, contact Saturn Corp directly - there's gotta be some sort of warranty or po'ed customer 800 number.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #14
jthj
jthj is on a distinguished road

Looks like my car has the infamous intake coolant leak. I noticed some pinkish spots in the snow on my driveway comming home today. Swung by my local Saturn dealer he checked my fluid levels all is good however I pointed out some pinkish fluid sitting in a nook on the driver side kinda by the ignition module and he said it was coolant that's probably leaking from the intake and running down. I have an appointment for them to do a better inspection/repair on friday. Luckily it's not leaking very fast and my low coolant light hasn't come on. I guess it's a good thing I opted for the extended warranty.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #15
SLVR_Saturn

Default Re: found the leak

Quote:
Originally posted by etbardensc2
ok.. so this morning i moved my car... i was kinda awed to see that sure enough my coolant is leaking. I think it all spurged out from the rough start. So yeah its the intake manifold gasket. its cool cause they put a flouresent dye in the coolant and you can see it everywhere its leaking. So yeah here comes a $500 problem. Good thing is the dealer knows that the coolant light was on when I bought the car and they said they would help out with the cost of it. thanks for the advice n stuff
That's good to hear, hopefully it won't be too painful

Small world, I actually got my SL1 from Satty of Appleton, who was your sales person?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:00 PM   #16
etbardensc2

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I actually got mine from Bergstrom GM in Oshkosh, where I live. To tell you the truth, I think they knew something was wrong with it, they just didn't want to take the time to figure it out. But I think I drove the people in the parts dept at Saturn of Appleton nuts cause I always ask them questions. Oh well.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:44 PM   #17
SLVR_Saturn

ugh, infamous Bergstrom customer service... gotta love it. I know quite a few people who got burned by it

always better to ask questions and learn something new
Closed Thread