SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

Default Extended Warranty / Warranty by net?

Hello all

As I picked up my 2003 L300 in April, I am already past 9,000 miles and am considering an extended warranty purchase ... A friend of mine suggested a site called www.warrantybynet.com , that offers warranties on all sorts of things including automobiles since 1994... The company is covered by an insurance company of sorts to guarantee the consumers warranty should the company have future difficulties... The warranty coverage is much , much cheaper than what Saturn offered me...

According to my Saturn retailer, a 6 year 75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with a 100.00 deductable costs near $ 1600.00..

The same plan with Warrantybynet. cost $ 853.00...

Has anyone else heard of this company? Or, has anyone purchased a non saturn warranty ? Any info or advice is appreciated...
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2003, 05:12 PM   #2
PLANOSATURN
PLANOSATURN is on a distinguished road

You are probably better off purchasing an extended warranty from your Retailer, whether it is a Saturn warranty or other company. Here in Plano, we don't honor most aftermarket warranties simply because it is a pain in the *ss to get our mony from them. Saturn's warranty is an "exclusionary" warranty, while most aftermarket are "inclusionary" warranties. That means that with the Saturn warranty tells you what is NOT covered. The aftermarket warranties tell you what IS covered. In other words, you could end up spending $853 for naught. BE CAREFUL.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:30 PM   #3
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I bought my Ford ESP warranty from a Ford dealer in Indiana - on line! They apparently make their money in volume - and undercut the local dealers by about 50%. Do a web search for factory Saturn extended warranties and see if you can find one. I saved $1400 and did not have to pay sales tax, which was another hundred and twenty.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Don't touch extended warranties from third parties.

Please see www.consumeraffairs.com for a list of the warranty companies recently folding.

Only buy the Saturn warranty. dealers will negotiate on it.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:00 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know if you can buy a Saturn warranty from another GM delaer? If so, you could likely find a good deal on the net from a Chebbie dealer or something.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:31 PM   #6
PLANOSATURN
PLANOSATURN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by piney
Does anyone know if you can buy a Saturn warranty from another GM delaer? If so, you could likely find a good deal on the net from a Chebbie dealer or something.
No, you can't. Unlike other GM divisions, Saturn's ESP is unique to Saturn. If you buy a Chevy, you can go to a GMC dealer and buy a GMPP.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

Unless you are having issues with the car now, most extended warrnties aren't worth the cost especially with the 100 dollar deductable all the companies have gone to.

I now have my flame suit on but I don't know anybody who has come out ahead with that deal........
1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive
Old 10-27-2003, 02:01 PM   #8
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

I am not a fan of extended warranties,but if you do get one,the Saturn one is one of the best. You should never pay the asking price however. If you are buying it from the dealer who sold you the car,make sure you insist on a discount and/or a return of a good portion of the purchase price if you don't use it before it expires.
Personally,I take cost of extended warranty when I buy a car and put it into an easily accessible invesment to cover any major repair costs. In last 12 years that I have been doing this,I have never taken a cent out of it. Either the cars have been better or I have been lucky.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:58 PM   #9
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

My dealer dosen't sell Saturn warranties. They did sell me an API warranty. I got 5 years and 60,000 miles. If not used get money back. Companies been around for 20 years so not fly by night.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:52 PM   #10
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Hope it works out, Rick.

Kmart's been around for how many years?, and what about Eastern Airlines?

Better chance GM will be there if you need them and, as mentioned, before, the Saturn warranty folks are easy to deal with when you have a claim.
Closed Thread