SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 05-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
trix2
trix2 is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes 2002 Saturn Vue, not starting

Okay this vehicle has always been dependable for me, always starts, never fails, till now. I was driving down the freeway, and got a sudden loss of power, pulled over and it stalled. I immediately tried to restart it, at first it sounded like it wanted to, but just wouldn't.

So, I found out my valve cover gasket blew, dumping a lot of oil down into my sparkplugs. I have already done the following:

Cleaned all the oil out of the sparkplug chambers
Changed the valve cover gasket
Changed the Cam shaft position sensor
Changed all the sparkplugs (with pretty good ones)
Changed the throttle body gasket
Replaced coil packs with 2 NEW coil packs (v6)

All It does is backfire when trying to start it, but it will not start... Any ideas? Was thinking maybe the ignition module, but not sure at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
trix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2002 Saturn Vue, not starting

Verify the timing chain hasn't slipped or broke. You can visually inspect it for obvious damage, if everything looks OK, then a compression test is in order.

with the valve cover off, see if there is any slop in the chain, it should be tight. On the forward cam sprocket, look down inside and you should see the plastic guide. This guide usually breaks where its held on by a bolt, the chain then rattles and cuts rough the bolt. when this happens, the chain snags the bolt or jumps timing, destroying the valve train.

What causes this? Two items. On first and second year Vues, the chain oiler was to small, so the chain didn't get adaquit lubrication and would stretch easily. The chain tensioner couldn't accommodate for the stretched chain. The chain would start rattling and break off the top of the forward chain guide. The chain would then cut through the chain guide bolt.
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
trix2
trix2 is on a distinguished road

I also just replaced the crankshaft sensor as well.

Here is a pic of the valve cover area without the covers. YOU can't see it with the valve covers off..

https://ibb.co/ZVCgsx6
trix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mileage? Fuel filter replaced at 100k miles? Fuel pressure checked? No ignition module on 3.0L V6 engines. The ecm controls ignition timing and switches each coil to its spark plug. Replacing plugs and coil packs only takes care of ignition. Fuel can be checked four ways; examining plugs after failed starting for raw fuel, plugs smelling of fuel, pressure gauge and depressing the fuel test valve after cycling ignition on. Did you check for a blown fuel injector fuse? Our V6 engines use a timing belt - it should be replaced every 100k miles along with the water pump. While no one has reported a damaged engine from a torn timing belt, there's always an exception. Unfortunately, the worse case scenario of a broken timing belt; when pistons meet valves and the engine seizes. Best case is replacing it every 100k miles. With the engine turning over without loud mechanical sounds, timing may be fine for now. Removing the timing belt cover reveals it.

Another way to separate a fuel from ignition problem would be spraying starting fluid. Supplying fuel directly into throttle would rely on spark to run the engine.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

V6 - OPS, never mind.. My post was targeted at the 4 banger.
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

With the engine backfiring it sounds like the timing is off. How many miles on the engine? Timing belt ever been changed? If the belt is original it may be bad news.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Yep. Iíve seen that view on my 3.0 before. Why is the valve cover in the picture? Is your work bench full? Normally I put cardboard down in the rear hatch area and store all the parts there. Jumped timing? Ya that would bite.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote