SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
jeepdad
jeepdad is on a distinguished road

Default Haynes manual?

First post, new member. I just ordered a Haynes manual from Ebay, it is a 1991-1999 edition, but I own a 2002 SL1. Is there much difference between a 99-and a 2002 that the manual won't be much help?
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Haynes manual?

Anything to do with Passlock it won't help with. Anything you can't do with a dollar store tool kit it won't help with either but that's just the quality of the S-Series Haynes manual. I found it tears easy and makes great kindling.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may want to return it. '91-'95 are first generation, '96-'99 are second generation. '00 and up are third generation. What separates third generation Saturns from the first two was integrating body control modules (BCM). Some added features with bcm's; GM's Passlock theft deterrent system, controlling instrument panel lighting and warning indicators (except abs and airbag), interior and exterior lighting, providing gateway communications of error messages from all modules to the OBD II system for output to the diagnostic port, and more.

Subscribing to alldata or Mitchell online may be more useful as well as becoming familiar with Saturnfans covering almost every problem brought up by members. The wealth of free info here is second to none and more so compared to dealers giving any info on technical problems. Alldata/Mitchell provide service manual info.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
jeepdad

Thanks guys! I figured this site has the majority of info i need but i always liked the capacity info from Haynes. And without the internet Haynes could be fairly helpful. I'm still a total newby with Saturns, I've mostly been a ford and Jeep guy. But back in the day I had Chevelles and a camaro and a cutlass when they weren't worth much and they were cheap to own. LOL! I miss those days!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post
Is there much difference between a 99-and a 2002 that the manual won't be much help?
Not really. Aside from what was mentioned - the PCM got moved from behind the instrument cluster to behind the battery... the steering wheel in your car does not have threaded holes for a puller, it needs a "J" hook-type puller. some slight differences in how the dashboard attaches. Otherwise, your 3rd gen is very similar mechanically to 2nd gen so far as how things are attached

How useful a Haynes is, is a completely different question

There are links to differentracing.com, the How To library, and richpin's videos in the sticky thread for new owners, which should cover just about everything.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is edge bound toilet paper.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

There's not a ton of difference really. All the components are in the same places. Haynes manual not going to give you a lot of in depth tech info anyways, it's more of a here's some occasional pictures and torque specs. Everything that's critical is mostly in there, the rest you can find easily with google.
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
And without the internet Haynes could be fairly helpful.
From my experience, Haynes is not especially useful if you intend to do much beyond oil and filter changes.

Quote:
It is edge bound toilet paper.
But at least the ink does not smear too bad if used as such

AllDataDIY and the FSM are infinitely better, with the FSM providing something you can readily take into the garage with you, use with greasy hands, and more importantly - make notes in.

FWIW: As an illustration of the difference in detail, The 1995 FSM runs about 3488 pages of text and diagrams, the current Haynes S-series manual covering 12 years and 3 generations is only about 250 pages
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
it's more of a here's some occasional pictures and torque specs.
...and some of those critical torque specs were misprinted....
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

I haven't used a Haynes as anything more than a door stop or table leveler in years anyways.
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
jeepdad

LOL! Lots of hate out there for Haynes I see! LOL! In the past I always liked them for the wiring diagrams and the electrical help with my ford trucks and jeeps. But I can probably get any info I need about my Saturn from you guys on this forum.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #12
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really nice

2001 SL2

As of this writing, in the S Series section of this forum there are:
92,366 threads

948,049 posts
My money is on the forum over the Haynes manual!

2001 SL2 manual - original owner - remanufactured engine at 228k miles, December 2015
1992 SL1 - bought used in '93, totaled in '00 at 170k miles, drove it cross-country a lot!
Upstate Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #13
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I've found the Haynes manuals to be useful for maintenance things like brakes, fluid changes, engine/transmission troubleshooting (never had to either apart, so far!), suspension work, etc. I suspect if you are rebuilding an engine or something, Haynes is going to be pretty skimpy on details you need. It's good to have a ready listing of torque specs, fluid capacities, etc. I've usually bought the Haynes book for each vehicle, and just leave it in the vehicle.
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:57 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Critical torquing procedures and specifications tend to be flat out wrong randomly depending on the edition. All torque specs must be checked against the generic torque tables readily available.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #15
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

What I would really like is a scanned FSM.

Mitchell/AllData are all right, but require Internet access in the garage or a device with enough memory to hold at least a DVD's worth of data and the right OS to run the AllData program. Plus I find these third-party compilations leave out a lot of information about how various systems are supposed to work.

The OEMs' HTML-ized FSMs are unwieldy even when complete: there is a lot of clicking from one page to another for the information you get, and I suspect the OEMs love them (Toyota abandoned PDF in favor of HTML in 2006, for example) because they force shadetree mechanics to maintain an ongoing subscription when they don't have the scripting know-how to extract local copies.

A complete scanned Saturn FSM wouldn't run to more than 1 GB at useful resolution and could easily be loaded onto an old smartphone for consultation in the garage with greasy fingers. (The FSM for the family 2005 Toyota Camry runs to almost 4000 pages but takes only 90 MB as a single file on my phone--convenient.) It's a shame there is no such thing as a home book scanner.
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:02 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When GM put all their data up on the company network it was in an odd format that has never been converted and leaked. No hot copies of the current iteration either. Scanning of a paper copy is a huge undertaking and will destroy the original paper copy as the binding must be sheared off so it can go through a document feeder. Most newer smartphones will drive an external keyboard and monitor so a computer in the garage is doable but can be a pain to setup. Or that old laptop or desktop machine can have a new home. Might as well as getting rid of old computers is near impossible without getting hit with some "disposal fee".
Old 02-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #17
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

For capacities, torque specs etc.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198051
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote