SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 09:12 PM   #1
ION3mistake
ION3mistake is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Beware the ION

Bought a ION3 on December 31st, Black cool leather grey int. Rides pretty nice, back seat is useless. Three week ago coolant message came on, then engine light. Brought it to the dealer, Saturn of Carrollwood in Tampa, no codes no problem. Two days late, coolant light, engine light back on and now temp gauge started to rise to overheat. Back to dealer, said it was a water pump, replaced, did not fix. Then said it was a "porous head" replaced, did not fix problem. Been 11 days now, dealer said they were going to "corporate".

Do not buy this dog...just not worth it. Now know why Saturn has going so far down hill on JD Powers.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that one enlightening post.

Maybe they are going to corporate to see if they can get you a new car?

I'm sure if you are a real owner that Saturn will be doing all they can to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. The car is less than a year old and any problem any of us experience will be new to them.

You may very well have a lemon engine, pump, or even the car itself may be a lemon, but how the dealer and service resolves the problem is really what matters. It may even be a bad PCM or control module tossing out BS codes.

The random problem or failure has to be expected, regardless of make or model. It's when there is a defect or problem affecting all the cars, that is when you need to be worried.

I'm sorry if this is true and wish you didn't have to go through the hassle, but I also don't give much credit to someone who just registered to post one negative message.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #3
raistlynne
raistlynne is on a distinguished road

I'm a little weary after reading your post Ion3, but I think Jase has a point... You could very well have driven away with just a bad car, plain and simple. I hope the dealership gets you taken care of soon - car problems are such a pain in the...
Old 06-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #4
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Hmm. My dog's been worth it. I just took it for a walk, and it was as happy as can be. Maybe yours just doesn't like you? I'd suggest Castrol GTX brand dog biscuits. Wash it and brush it weekly, and it will be healthy and happy for many dog years.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #5
ION3mistake
ION3mistake is on a distinguished road

Default Last Point

Amazing, thought this was a forum to post issues, not just oh gee what a wonderful car. Don't really have time for that.

As for the dealer..tbd
Old 06-02-2003, 09:30 PM   #6
filamqc
filamqc is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jaseball, I have had my Ion for 8-months now and it is performing well with just a minor mishap: an intermittent non-working AC fan speed - so the dealership simply just ordered and installed a new A/C fan switch in a reasonable amount of time. No more problems for now! The dealership service department has shown good customer service too.

Sorry to hear your negative experience but it does not mean that Saturn is a "dog". I'ved had my share of domestic and imports over the years and Saturn so far has been just as reliable as my other current imports (Mazda, Audi). I've had more problems with my previous cars (Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Toyota, and Chevrolet to name a few). So hopefully the 'corporate' Saturn fix can help your situation. Give it a chance and hope that Saturn's good customer service can get you out of your frustrations. Good Luck... keep us informed on the outcome if you don't mind.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #7
zborgerd

Default Re: Last Point

Quote:
Originally posted by ION3mistake
Amazing, thought this was a forum to post issues, not just oh gee what a wonderful car. Don't really have time for that.

As for the dealer..tbd
I understand your concerns for your issues, and I really feel sympathetic (really, I do.) But seeing as more than 40k people have purchased ION sedans in the last few months, with relatively few *major* problems, I'm not sure that dubbing the ION a "dog" is exactly warranted. Obviously, you don't intend to spend more than a day or two in the ION forums, talking about your poor experience, with a handle like "ION3mistake." I can see how many would view you a little less than seriously.

I hope that you get you issues resolved though.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:34 PM   #8
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

You register a troll name like that, post one time in a Saturn ION forum, and receive what I believe was a slightly sarcastic, but helpful reply, and you're upset? What exactly were you expecting?
Old 06-02-2003, 09:34 PM   #9
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: Last Point

Quote:
Originally posted by zborgerd
I understand your concerns for your issues, and I really feel sympathetic (really, I do.) But seeing as more than 40k people have purchased ION sedans in the last few months, with relatively few *major* problems, I'm not sure that dubbing the ION a "dog" is exactly warranted.

Good point about the lack of problems.

I've seen very little about problem and build quality issues on the ION. Unline the first year L's! You happen to have something wrong. So what, every make and model may eventually have something wrong. It's how the company takes care of it that matters. And Saturn will take care of it, I guarantee it.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:55 PM   #10
Greeneyedgrrrl
Greeneyedgrrrl is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Re: Last Point

Quote:
Originally posted by zborgerd
I understand your concerns for your issues, and I really feel sympathetic (really, I do.) But seeing as more than 40k people have purchased ION sedans in the last few months, with relatively few *major* problems, I'm not sure that dubbing the ION a "dog" is exactly warranted. Obviously, you don't intend to spend more than a day or two in the ION forums, talking about your poor experience, with a handle like "ION3mistake." I can see how many would view you a little less than seriously.

Well, I have to agree. If I had gotten to this posting sooner I would have said my fill about the chosen name handle.

And with chosing a name as you did, you wonder why you bought a lemon??? Surround your thoughts and life with negativity and it will keep coming back to you.

And it's definately true that ALL makes of cars have a few that may be bad. There's no way that you can tell me, for example, that Honda puts out millions of perfectly mechanically sound cars every year without having a few that will have major problems shortly after retail purchase.

Hope all goes well and your car issues are resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:20 PM   #11
Miso
Miso is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Beware the Saturn

Please be patient with Saturn. I've had my share of problems
with my '01 L200 and Saturn has done and continues to do
everything they can to resolve my car's issues.
They will do the same for you and your Ion.
Keep us posted.

Last edited by Miso; 06-02-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:37 PM   #12
DiabloVerde
DiabloVerde is on a distinguished road

Hey I can post again...

Well, bad apples, or lemons, are made by EVERY car manufacturer in the world. It does seem that so far the ION is doing quite well. I get this perception from the fact that most people tend to post only when something goes wrong. So far I have seen far more positive reviews from owners than posts about lemons. Also, it does seem that your dealer is doing everything they can for your one problem. At least you did not get a Hyundai Tib and are having to fight over the failing clutch(becoming a big issue for standard, V6 owners)

But the truth is that most people's opinions are formed by their experience, so I doubt IONmistake will see our point of view. Even if everyone elses car is great, if YOU own the lemon you will not trust that car again..
Old 06-03-2003, 02:35 AM   #13
IONicSaturn
Advanced Member
IONicSaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Re: Re: Last Point

ION3Mistake, I'm about 98% sure your post was originally thought to be done by a "troll" because you began by referring to all IONs as being "dogs." None of the forums here are to just simply post issues, but to also have civilized conversations about our cars, other people's cars, cars we want, and just about anything about anything. Most of us like our cars, hence the name SaturnFANS. I really do hope that everything works out for you, and I am sure Saturn and your retailer will do EVERYTHING in their power to resolve your car's issues. As you mentioned, your retailer is voluntarily "going corporate" with the issues. Sounds like a good sign and a good retailer to me.

I have to say, that considering how new the ION is (totally new platform, new transmissions, new computer systems, etc.), it is doing excellently in the "issues" area. Of course there were going to be some issues with it, it's a completely new model, but from what I've seen and read (mostly here), MOST issues are very minor. I think that the car's debut has been and continues to be far better than anticipated. I would bet a lot of money that by next year ALL of the kinks in the ION will be worked out.
Mike

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
2005 Saturn L300
1999 Dodge Durango SLT
Old 06-03-2003, 07:57 AM   #14
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

This happened to my Ion 3 at 1200 miles, bad water pump. Dealer replaced in less than a day, have 8700 miles now with no other issues. If you think your water pump is an issue, do a search on this forum from me regarding my VWs....
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
Old 06-03-2003, 08:18 AM   #15
OldGeezer
OldGeezer is on a distinguished road

Default I knew I could not be the only one

Someone with a similar problem to mine? I have been fighting this darn coolant loss problem for 4 weeks now out of a total of owning the car for 6 weeks. Some of you may have read my posts. I was back at the dealer AGAIN yesterday and they switched the radiator cap and added MORE coolant. This is two fillups in the past two weeks. They claim the car is just "burping" air pockets out of the system. If that's the case than this car has one heck of a problem. It's is so bad I went out and bought some Dex Cool and now keep a batch at home in case I have to top the thing off. The dealer told me not to so they can keep an eye on it. I see they replaced ION3Mistake's head and it is still loosing coolant. Like I said in my original post when my problems started, I really believe the block is warped. Around town my car seems ok. The minute I take it out on the road say, for 2-4 hours, then I loose coolant. That can mean only one thing, it is blowing by the head and/or block under high pressure. Nice. My car is six weeks old with 2K miles on it with a possible shot engine. My wife told me to take it back under the one month deal. At first I liked the car too much to bring it back. Looks like she had the right idea. Right now I am STILL weighing my options. I still like driving the car but the constant dealer visits are maddening. If this keeps up, I may just take a HUGE depreciation loss and trade it. Sleepless nights, high blood pressure, and the stress from all this just may not be worth it. I'll see what happens.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:26 AM   #16
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

uh, like dude, what's wrong with back seat?
don't ya think ya could have figgered it out that it was uselesss on your test dryve?

you did take a test drive diddent ya?
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:55 AM   #17
csdibiase
csdibiase is on a distinguished road

Wow, sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with the car, but I have to disagree, the Ion is no dog, and by the sounds of it the dealer is no schmuck. Be a little patient with them, eventually their either fix the car or completely replace the car. If you're in a state with a good lemon law (like Ohio) you can always use that if nessisary, however from the sound of it the dealer is trying to be as proactive as possible in dealing with the problem.

You know though I wonder if it's not a bad engine block, arn't the Ecotec blocks all aluminium? I would suppose those would warp easier.

(btw It's a terrible idea to register on a fan site for anything with a username that sounds moderatly down on the topic of the site and have your first post be a borderline troll that insults the topic of that forum. You won't may any friends going to a Saturn site and ripping on saturns, nor would you going to a honda site and posting "powered by hamsters" in your sig)
Old 06-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #18
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by csdibiase
You know though I wonder if it's not a bad engine block, arn't the Ecotec blocks all aluminium? I would suppose those would warp easier.
The Ecotec block and head are cast aluminum alloy, but the cylinder liners are cast iron (as are many other parts.)

Most engines these days are made with modern aluminum alloys. They've perfected the process of making aluminum engines over the last 20 years. That's why warping doesn't occur very frequently.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:21 AM   #19
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

You have your right to your opinion. However, I have MANY customers sicne October who have IONs and no problems and love them.

You are in the minority.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:22 AM   #20
LynnF
LynnF is on a distinguished road

Default Re: I knew I could not be the only one

Quote:
Originally posted by OldGeezer
Someone with a similar problem to mine? I have been fighting this darn coolant loss problem for 4 weeks now out of a total of owning the car for 6 weeks. Some of you may have read my posts. I was back at the dealer AGAIN yesterday and they switched the radiator cap and added MORE coolant. This is two fillups in the past two weeks. They claim the car is just "burping" air pockets out of the system. If that's the case than this car has one heck of a problem. It's is so bad I went out and bought some Dex Cool and now keep a batch at home in case I have to top the thing off. The dealer told me not to so they can keep an eye on it. I see they replaced ION3Mistake's head and it is still loosing coolant. Like I said in my original post when my problems started, I really believe the block is warped. Around town my car seems ok. The minute I take it out on the road say, for 2-4 hours, then I loose coolant. That can mean only one thing, it is blowing by the head and/or block under high pressure. Nice. My car is six weeks old with 2K miles on it with a possible shot engine. My wife told me to take it back under the one month deal. At first I liked the car too much to bring it back. Looks like she had the right idea. Right now I am STILL weighing my options. I still like driving the car but the constant dealer visits are maddening. If this keeps up, I may just take a HUGE depreciation loss and trade it. Sleepless nights, high blood pressure, and the stress from all this just may not be worth it. I'll see what happens.
That does sound like a real drag! Even if it is a warped block, you're still well inside the bumper to bumper warranty, right? If it is somethign like a block, they should replace it, free of charge. Same goes for Ion3mistake.

But I agree, what a pain to have to keep shlepping in to the dealer and not get fixed the first time! I've only got about 700 miles on my 1 and still keeping my fingers crossed.
Closed Thread