SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
armymike03
armymike03 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Stumped, please help

I have a 2004 saturn Ion 2.2L with 180,000 miles.
Orginal code P0302 #2 misfire.
What I have done step 1; spark plugs, spark plug boots, ignition coil ( from auto zone), lucus fuel injector cleaner, dry compression test on all four cylinders 120-125psi, swapped # 2 fuel injector with #4 fuel injector with new o-rings to see if the code would switch, cleaned the throttle body, new gas cap,and Conducted a 2 drive cycle with compenent that I replaced. Still came back as a #2 misfire. All connectors and wires are in good condition.

Step #2;
I warranty the ignition coil( from auto zone) and replaced it. CODE: P0304- # 4 misfire.
I swapped # 1 and # 4 spark plugs to see if the code would change. Still code P0304 . I swapped #1 and # 4 spark plug boots. Still P0304.

Step #3; I warranty the ignition coil ( from auto zone) and replaced it. CODE P0302- # 2 MISFIRE

Step # 4; New OEM ICM ( ignition control module). conducted a 2 drive cycle; CODE P0302

STEP # 5; I warranty the ignition coil from auto zone and bought one from O'Rielly. Installed and conducted a 2 drive cycle. Still code P0302.

There is no hesatation when starting nor when accelarting. No vacuum leaks. The vehicle has never ran hot. You can clearly hear the misfire in the exhaust system. At Idle, it runs rough and at times it feels like the vehicle is going to die.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong and what I could try next? Thank you for your time too look.
armymike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Stumped, please help

Those compression figures are really low. The acceptable range for the 2.2L Ecotec engine is 185-225 psi. I'd say that's where your problem lies. Your next step should be to perform a wet compression test to determine if the problem is the piston rings or the valves.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 48K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
armymike03

Thank you for your help. I conducted another Dry compression test and each cylinder came back with 148-150PSI (I didnt notice a small leak in the hose from the 1st compression test, bought a new compression tester)
ALLDATA states for the specs for the compression test: No cylinder should be less than 100 PSI and the lowest cylinder shouldnt be less than 70% of the heightest.
I also conducted a resistance test on the fuel injectors while they were cold. Each fuel injector came back between 11-15 ohms. The fuel injectors are within specs.
Any other suggestions that I could try?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unfortunately, your '04 Ion 2.2L with 180,000 miles, a P0302 misfire with compression averaging no higher than 120 psi (dry) is well below the minimum 180 psi mentioned in service manuals. You're driving a well worn engine.

All cylinders with compression close to each other would indicate nothing unusual like a burned exhaust valve, blown head gasket, one cylinder with stuck piston rings or injector fault. You can try experimenting to see if compression comes up with oil in each cylinder and another compression test. If compression rises on all cylinders (evenly with none less than others), another test can be done; adding one or two quarts of cheap 40 weight oil to thicken oil and raise compression. This may help determine once and for all a tired engine that's a candidate for rebuilding and possibly turn off the error light. With no mention of the area you live in, thick oil (higher than recommended viscosity) may strain engine starting on cool mornings.
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #5
armymike03

Okay, thank you. I'll give it a try.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
ZKdawg
ZKdawg is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

seeing as u have changed the coils and go dif. misses, have u checked the connector to the coils and see if its dirty or there is a bent terminal.
also check the wires for chaffing and exposed wires.
ZKdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Inside the rubber boots connecting the coil pack to the spark plug, theres a spring. the spring can be pulled out of the boot. try to extend that spring to make it longer. it may not be making good enough contact.
03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
armymike03

Thank you everyone for your advise. I recently installed a Noid light set up. All four injectors worked correctly and I rechecked the resistance on the injectors, they were all within specs. I checked the spring inside the boots and they werent clogged with any debre. I have basically replaced everything new involing the injectors, besides the ECM. I also switched #2 injector with #3 injector (including new gaskets), reset the code, conducted a 2 drive cycle, and the MIL came back on. The vehicle has never had any over heating issues.
Any other suggestions on what it could be or what I could test??
Old 11-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The injector solenoids are opening, but the one thing you can't test for at home is if the injectors ate spraying the fuel and atomizing it right. You either have a bad/plugged injector or low compression. You know you have low compression, so you need to rebuild the engine.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote