SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
vstringbassist
vstringbassist is on a distinguished road

Default Problem: Weird no-start-shift lock problem

My daughters Ion won't do anything - the key gets stuck but I can push the button to release - tumbler is ok. We cannot get the car out of park but then again the car won't even chime when the door is open other than some weird beeping. The battery is ok. This is a weird problem and I have not experienced this one before - we have owned 4 Ions to date. I was able to start the car once by trying to move the shift and playing with the ignition. At least we got it from the shopping centre to another location then when we put the car in park with engine running the car shut off and has not started since. Could this be the Neutral Safety Switch?
Any help is appreciated as we will have to tow the car by tomorrow afternoon (it is in a buisness parking lot).
vstringbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Problem: Weird no-start-shift lock problem

Never assume the battery is good. No chime usually means a dead battery. Either get a jump/boost from another car or find out the hard way about troubleshooting with assumptions........................

BTW, without any mention of model year, anyone can guess on the little information given. How old is the car? Battery?
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
vstringbassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Never assume the battery is good. No chime usually means a dead battery. Either get a jump/boost from another car or find out the hard way about troubleshooting with assumptions........................

BTW, without any mention of model year, anyone can guess on the little information given. How old is the car? Battery?
Oops, it is a 2006 Ion Coupe.
When the car was put in park it shut off. When I got it started before that the gear was not locked, moving it I was able to start the car. There was a new stereo installed 2 months ago. I was thinking it could have something to do with the security system. Also, it has a remote car starter. I will have to check the battery - not sure if it had been replaced.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Aftermarket radio and lazy button are the first things to check.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
vstringbassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Aftermarket radio and lazy button are the first things to check.
"lazy button"? Do you mean the remote for door locks?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

No, remote start.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
saturnions
saturnions is on a distinguished road

Yep, I agree. Find out whats going on with the aftermarket crap before anything. No aftermarket crap electronics on my cars. I have no problems.
saturnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
03vuevti2af23
03vuevti2af23 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Had a similar situation to this on a 05 ion recently.

First off, do you have the check engine light illuminated when you turn the key to run?

This may of may not light up but this was the tell-tale I experienced.

Any way check the positive battery lead in the trunk. About six inches from the positive battery terminal you will find that the wire splits and there is an inline fuse, (10 amp), that powers the pcm. Check the fuse AND the wire of corrosion or a split. Water gets in the trunk on these cars and can damage the wire or pop the fuse. This will cause a no crank, no shiftlock release condition.

Another place to look where my most recent issue was is at the fusible link wire from the starter to the alternator. This wire can chafe against the metal bracket for the engine cover or the radiator fan shroud. When is does it loses continuity and will not allow power to pass causing the same issue. The wire is a pain to get at but can be checked for continuity with a multimeter before removal. It is connected to the alternator on one side and stater "fat" wire on the other. It is wrapped in the wiring harness bundle that runs in front of the engine.

Both of the above show a tell. No check engine light, (sometimes), and with key left on, you will get a message for coolant, power steering, and service vehicle in the mileage display area of the gauge cluster.

I am almost positive that this is the issue.

Happy saturning.
03vuevti2af23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I never got the remote start for my ION. I was actually turned away from a few places. I was told it was an electrical nightmare. But then again I know some people who have it with no issues
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote