SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
tico1177
tico1177 is on a distinguished road

Default 1999 Saturn SL1 - Faulty Anti-Theft system

So here is my dilemma... My Saturn has been having a problem starting. I am not 100% sure of the issue but I will go over the symptoms and my theory of possible cause.

This happens randomly, but basically how I know it won't start is with a couple of key symptoms. First when I go out to my car and use the remote to unlock the doors, it doesn't work. I unlock with the key and the overhead lamp doesn't turn on. When I place the key in the ignition, the chime will not work.

What I have found is that I wiggle the group of wires behind the fuse panel under the radio and everything turns on. I then have to cycle my locks to tell the car it is not being stolen and the car starts up.

Now today during lunch I go out and find the car having the same problem... I do my song and dance but the anti-theft system is not deactivating to allow me a clean start. (Basically I turn the key and nothing happens but the light above me is flashing.)

The horn is not going off because I replaced it 6 months ago with an old fashion Ooga horn.

So now I wonder if this horn replacement may be the cause? The plug has 3 prongs, but I have the horn hooked up to only 2 of them. If this is the problem, then why did it not start 6 months ago?

This all started when I recently replaced the fan motor for the radiator. I had to test it so there was a disconnection with the relay module, but everything is connected properly.

The thing that makes me question so much right now is the fuse panel and why I have to jiggle the wires. That could be a faulty connection, but then the anti-theft now won't let me disarm.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
tico1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
tico1177

Default Re: 1999 Saturn SL1 - Faulty Anti-Theft system

Someone posted the below quote at another site. Will this work too?

Quote:
ok, lets make this simple, disconnect your battery removing the hot cable first while your your key should be in the accessary possition with locks in the locked position and tour radio on,wait ten or so minutes for accessory memmory to return to factory settings,working for ford i know that a number of things can disrupt your computer,even a loose terminal,but back to the problem at hand,after following these steps in the order ive mentioned you can return your battery to the terminals and making sure you have tightened them completely you will turn key off then back on and you will notice that your problem wasnt much of a big deal after all! glad to help, good luck!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
tico1177

Still hoping for an answer to this question.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/search.php
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
tico1177

I found the answer to my problem on another site. I had to hold the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons on the remote for 7 seconds while the doors were closed.

Ultimately the issue is the red lead wire from the "Chime" fuse. It seems to be grounding itself.

Thank you and have a great day.