SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 04-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Raethorm
Raethorm is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Dizzy Door Chiming That Wont Stop

My 02' LW300 Wagon stared to chime about a year ago intermittently but here recently it has been non-stop. The chiming is coming from a squat black cylinder attached to the circuit board of my "BCM." (I'm not a 100% on the terms sorry) It's my circuit board attached to the back of my glove box, and the chiming does not come out of the speakers at all.

It chimes about 80%+ of the time now, but does go off sometimes when we make turns in either direction. It leads me to believe that something is loose somewhere and when we turn it either opens or closes a circuit but I wouldn't know where to look or what it could be.

I do have an after market alarm on the car and have had it looked at in the last few weeks; but as far as they could tell it was not related to the alarm. I have had the alarm on the car for over five years but do remember them having serious problems installing the alarm on the car due to "passkey?" issues. Again though, it didn't start chiming until last year so I don't really know.

Has anyone had this problem before or have any suggestions on how to fix it? I am currently at a loss on what to do, and with a 12 hour road trip in two weeks, I would really love to fix it before then.
Raethorm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
elocinx671
elocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Door Chiming That Wont Stop

Did this happen before you put in the aftermarket system? or how long after?

It could be the BCM failing, mine was doing that like crazy. I quieted it down by taping the hole for the speaker shut. I used electrical tape.
If you're good with electronics you could de-solder the speaker from the BCM's circuit board.
If not then you can just quiet it down by taping the hole on the BCM plastic housing, or the speaker itself.

The speaker is the large black circular thing in this photo.

elocinx671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Raethorm

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocinx671 View Post
Did this happen before you put in the aftermarket system? or how long after?

It could be the BCM failing, mine was doing that like crazy. I quieted it down by taping the hole for the speaker shut. I used electrical tape.
If you're good with electronics you could de-solder the speaker from the BCM's circuit board.
If not then you can just quiet it down by taping the hole on the BCM plastic housing, or the speaker itself.

The speaker is the large black circular thing in this photo.
I have had the aftermarket alarm system in the car for going on five years now, and the chiming didn't start until about a year ago. Although I'm not 100% convinced it has nothing to do with the alarm either, I was hoping someone else had this issue and I could go from there.

Did you eventually have to replace your BCM?

Would de-soldering the speaker from the board leave me with an open circuit on the board? Would that effect anything else? I could de-solder it, but I don't know what else is on that circuit.

Is it ok to unplug the BCM from the car or is there something more to it?

Thanks for providing the image and the quick reply.

Last edited by Raethorm; 04-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
elocinx671
elocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to allelocinx671 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My BCM finally went completely haywire on Friday, so I scored a new one and im having it installed tomorrow morning at a Chevy dealer.

Its been on its way out since '07 when the door locks first stopped working.
Then other weird things started happening with the electrical system.

If you remove the speaker it will leave the circuit open, I also dont know if anything else is tied in. Thats why I just taped it up, cant hear it anymore.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Think about what you are doing; removing the chime function from the body control module. Disabling this speaker will forever silence any other warning tones related to; key in the ignition, headlights left on when the ignition key is removed, low fuel alert, door ajar, OLM announcemet, etc.. Once you meddle with the bcm you may cause more harm than good. Disconnecting the bcm may render your car disabled too as all electronics in this car communicates to each other as part of the Passlock theft deterrent system. I wouldn't disconnect anything in the bcm as its a several hundred dollar replacement if it fails. Your choice.

The alarm installer that had difficulty with their installation apparently doesn't know GM electronics very well. Passlock queries all the mini-computers via the bcm to ensure all's well otherwise any security issues results in the electronics disabling the fuel pump and injectors; a dead engine never able to run. This feature of theft deterrent is not parroted much but it is adopted from the early version of Corvettes resistor-in-the-key idea. The system in you car is a very good one with only one minor weakness (not worth mentioning on open boards) that's obvious to most except for the street thief. The only change to this theft deterrent system is when GM and most vehicle manufacturers went to true rfid keys exactly like EZ-PASS or Mobil's Speedpass transponder system. The basic electronics remains the same but the transponders used are the upgraded versions to make security tighter. All aftermarket security systems that cannot work with any vehicle's built in security system can interfere and cause grief to car owners not aware of incorrect installation. Early Saturns with these problems were simply adressed at the dealer; they told the owner to have the aftermarket system removed or they wouldn't work on the car while under warranty. Most aftermarket systems catch up so they add bypass modules that in effect bypass the factory alarm system but automatically revert back if something goes wrong so the security system still operates as designed. These bypass modules are used in remote start systems. I have one that works perfectly to allow remote starting while still affording theft deterrent coverage if anyone tries to move my car without a key. The car dies immediately and the factory security system locks out the engine from running as described above. Guess How I know.........

The problem with a near constant chime alert may be from a rusty/corroded door switch, trunk switch, worn ignition lock switch, etc., that's grounded. If you cannot find out what switch is faulty you can mask the speaker or isolate the bcm with soft foam to cut down on the noise until later when more time allows you to think of what switch may be causing the alert to sound.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Raethorm

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

By chance does anyone have a cheap(er) resource for a new BCM?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
elocinx671

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The cheapest place I have found New BCM's is at http://www.saturnparts.com
They are the Harnish Auto Family dealership based in Puyallup, WA (253) 840-6300.

I would first get your part number form your original BCM, then go to http://www.saturnparts.net (different site)
Plug in your original part number, and see if they have a superceeded one. You want the new part number.

Plug that part number in http://www.saturnparts.com and get your price.
Or search the OEM parts catalog and go to ELECTRICAL;GUAGES & INSTRUMENTS;CONTROL.

I would call up Harnish Auto Family and see if they have it in stock first, if not ask how long it would take.
Then tell them you'll just order it online for the discount.

If you're looking for a used BCM, go to http://www.car-part.com/.
It should be under computer box;non-engine. When you call the junk yard nearest you, just ask if you could get the part number.
You want the newer/superceeded one, better chance of it not flaking out on you.
Your vehicle will keep the mileage off of the used BCM, so you may run into issues if you sell the vehicle.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

was the door switch ever checked out??? i mean its not pinging like the headlights are on all the time even when the cars off?
mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x