SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
berny
berny is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission options for my Vue 2003 FWD

Hi, I'm just new here, I recently own a Saturn but the transmission doesnt work, I would like to know if I can find some transmission that fit on Vue, maybe from another more comercial (easy to find) car
berny is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Transmission options for my Vue 2003 FWD

What engine do you have? AWD?

If you have a V6, I think you're very limited on options.

If you have a FWD 4 cylinder, then you have the dreaded VTi transmission. You can replace it with either a 5 speed manual transmission or a properly geared automatic transmission from 2005-2007 VUEs.

The 5 speed manual is shared between dozens of 2.2L ecotec (that's the name of the engine) equipped cars- the Ion, Cobalt, Sun Fire, Cavalier..... There is a slight difference in gear ratios between the lighter weight cars and the heavier VUE, but it should still work.

You can't just swap the transmissions and be done though. No matter which swap you do (automatic or manual), then you'll have to swap BCM (body control module) and potentially wiring.

Unless you like projects, you'll probably find yourself asking if all of the above is really worth it.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
berny

Hi Tom, thanks for your time, I have 2.2L V4 ecotec FWD, actually I have a Cavalier with the same motor, but I went with some transmission dealers and some called transmission as VT25-E or something like that.

Where can I get the body control module and what easy or hard is to swap it? what about wiring? I was asking for a used transmission but its so hard to find it, I'm live in the border with Mexico in a small town so its harder!

Thanks again and sorry if I dont write very well english!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
berny

I'm trying to get a new transmission but is really hard to find one. If I get one from 2005-2007 VUE's, does it fit just like that? or I need swap the BCM?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Two Shoes
Two Shoes is on a distinguished road

berny,

If I may chime in....

I'd recommend you do a search of the forums for "VTi" then read as many threads as you can about this tranny.

Here are 3 random threads about the VTi tranny that I read/contributed to.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139984

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142234

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143125

Good luck. --Two Shoes
2004 VUE 2.2L VTi AWD - ditched, Fall '09
2008 RAV4 2.4L I4 FWD - been driving ever since
A pat on the back, though only a few vertebrae separate from a kick in the pants, is miles ahead in results.
Two Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
berny

Thanks Two Shoes, I'm not sure if I understand all those threads (acuse I dont speak english very well) but it look that is a lot of work and a GOOD Mechanic knowledge, I live in a really small town, so I is hard to get all that parts. If you will fix this car, what would you do? I'm looking for a cheap and "easy" way cause is a small town and there is not to many mechanical guys that know how to swap all those parts.

I went to a dealer and they sad that Saturn will pay 50% to replace the transmission with a new one, so the total cost with labor work is $2,237, What do you recommend?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Two Shoes
Two Shoes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by berny View Post
Thanks Two Shoes, I'm not sure if I understand all those threads (acuse I dont speak english very well) but it look that is a lot of work and a GOOD Mechanic knowledge, I live in a really small town, so I is hard to get all that parts.
I have not done the work myself. I have only read about what is involved. But it is a LOT of work. I chose to get rid of my VUE before it's VTi tranny failed because I did not want to deal with the work or the large cost.

Quote:
If you will fix this car, what would you do? I'm looking for a cheap and "easy" way cause is a small town and there is not to many mechanical guys that know how to swap all those parts.
What would I do? Good question. I don't think I would try to fix the VUE. I think I would just sell it at an "as-is" vehicle auction, and get rid of it at a loss. That is, get rid of it even though I knew I will not be able to sell the VUE for the money that I paid into it.

Quote:
I went to a dealer and they sad that Saturn will pay 50% to replace the transmission with a new one, so the total cost with labor work is $2,237, What do you recommend?
It is my opinion that the replacement tranny will fail in the future. And no one can tell you when. It could fail after as little as 10,000 miles. Or it could last for 90,000 miles. It's a gamble.

So, the question is, will you lose more money by selling the VUE now, as-is, or will you lose more money by spending the $2,237 to fix it? That, my friend, only you can answer.

If I spent the $2,237 to fix it, I would immediately trade it in on something else. The VTi tranny is just a piece of garbage. Period. It will let you down.

And finally, because the work and cost of having a very good mechanic swap out the VTi automatic tranny for a 5-speed manual tranny is so incredibly expensive (it will probably cost more than your VUE is worth), that is simply not a realistic option.

There just is no cheap and easy way to deal with your VUE. Sorry, but that's the bottom line.

Cheers. --Two Shoes
2004 VUE 2.2L VTi AWD - ditched, Fall '09
2008 RAV4 2.4L I4 FWD - been driving ever since
A pat on the back, though only a few vertebrae separate from a kick in the pants, is miles ahead in results.
Two Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
berny

Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
berny

I find it... well I find a 2003 VUE 2.2L Manual transmission, and I'm changing all to fit the new transmission, I get thc clutch, hidraulic pump, and everithing, I'll take some pics from all to post it here...
Old 12-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #10
sithscott1
sithscott1 is on a distinguished road

Based on my research since I own a 2004 saturn vue 5 speed with the 2.2L ecotec, mine has the f23 getrag transmission. Which is the same as the cavalier so in theory you should be able to just replace the transmission from the cavalier. Both cavalier and vue use the same flywheel so everything should in theory work. The CVT-VTi transmission is only in the automatic version of the I4 ecotec version of the saturn vue. Hope this helps.
sithscott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithscott1 View Post
Based on my research since I own a 2004 saturn vue 5 speed with the 2.2L ecotec, mine has the f23 getrag transmission. Which is the same as the cavalier so in theory you should be able to just replace the transmission from the cavalier. Both cavalier and vue use the same flywheel so everything should in theory work. The CVT-VTi transmission is only in the automatic version of the I4 ecotec version of the saturn vue. Hope this helps.
Congrats, you posted in an 8 year old thread.
Also, the Cavaliers transmission is not the same as has a numerically lower differential ratio which would hurt the little acceleration performance the Vue already has.
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote