SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default How can you detect wheel bearing failure?

Every since I purchased my VUE, I get this whirling noise when I drive. I've taken it in and was told that it was a combo of the tires and road noise. I replaced the tires and still get the noise. The faster I go, the louder and faster it gets. It seems to come from the rear from what I can tell and when I release the gas, even going down hill, the car starts slowing instantly, no coasting like my Cutlass did. I mean, you can actually watch the speedo drop as if it were the tach and the gas was released (and no, I'm not confusing the tach for the speedo). Is this a sign of the wheel bearings going or have bad? I thought I would hear a high pitched noise if they did but maybe I'm wrong. Or is all this normal and the VUE is just one noisy son-of-a- biscuit baker?
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: How can you detect wheel bearing failure?

When I was a technical inspector for my region's SCCA chapter, we would check for bad wheel bearings on every car by grabbing the top of the tire and "shaking" it in and out of the wheel well. Any detectable movement was an indication of a bad wheel bearing (or loose lug nuts). Give it a try. VUE's are known for bad wheel bearings.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
rayzur9
rayzur9 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

My wheel bearing trouble started with an audible drone or whirring noise coming from what I thought was the passenger side. The noise was not loud enough to hear until I hit the 40mph mark, and then I was able to hear the droning noise all the way up until about 65mph. I did not notice any significant change in noise during turns, but a little bit of variation on small highway dips and rises. Grabbing the tire at top and trying to shake it did not produce any noticable movement or play. Jacking the car up, grabbing the strut spring and turning the tire to feel for grittiness being transferred to the spring in the turning of the tire did not produce any noticable noise or feeling.
But changing out both front wheel hub assemblies (where bearings are pre-installed) fixed the noise completely. I have heard people on this forum trying to fart around with pressing the bearings out, etc. which is like trying to change the filter element in an off the shelf filter. Just buy the hub assemblies, rent the flange puller with the centerbolt and claw type jointed arms, and make a day of it.
The hub/bearing assembly that made the noise had no play in it after I took it off the vehicle. Also, when it had the noises, it did not slow the vehicle down when releasing the accelerator pedal.
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I can only assume this is a bad wheel bearing,I found my three bad bearings at different times by raising the vue on a hoist and putting it in drive and holding the coil in the front and the strut in the rear although it was very hard to feel because all wheels are turning, you could also try a stethoscope or piece of hose to listen to each hub.Does the noise change if you turn the steering slightly left and right while driving at that speed? You may also want to check your centre support bearing on your rear prop shaft as they make a great deal of noise and maybe even feel some vibration when they go bad. If you can some how grease these centre support bearings you should because you cannot buy them aftermarket and they are $375.00 Ca. from the dealer.
I was a bit upset when I saw there was a recall on the 02/03 I believe Buick Rondevous for wheel bearingsand not these

Last edited by Someclown; 01-06-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
sl_don
sl_don is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

generally a whirring or dronning sound that gets lowder with speed but is unaffected by how hard you press the gas. sometimezs they get louder in corners but it can be dificult to pin point the bad bearing unless its so bad you can see and feel it by tring to move the hub. but at that point the bearing is so loud you cant hear the radio or have a conversation in the car while driving
If it isn't broken.........Your not trying hard enough

2002 SL first brand new car in my family since the 1981 Pontiac Phoenix (sold)
2004 Vue AWD V6 bought used (current)
sl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
chillin05VUE

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_don View Post
generally a whirring or dronning sound that gets lowder with speed but is unaffected by how hard you press the gas. sometimezs they get louder in corners but it can be dificult to pin point the bad bearing unless its so bad you can see and feel it by tring to move the hub. but at that point the bearing is so loud you cant hear the radio or have a conversation in the car while driving
It's not so loud that we can't talk normally. I haven't noticed in change going around corners but then I'm not going the same speed. I generally will hear it around 35-50mph. Above 60 and I really don't hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someclown View Post
.Does the noise change if you turn the steering slightly left and right while driving at that speed? You may also want to check your centre support bearing on your rear prop shaft as they make a great deal of noise and maybe even feel some vibration when they go bad. If you can some how grease these centre support bearings you should because you cannot buy them aftermarket and they are $375.00 Ca. from the dealer.
I was a bit upset when I saw there was a recall on the 02/03 I believe Buick Rondevous for wheel bearingsand not these
The noise doesn't change if the streering wheel is slightly turned. I had the center carrier bearing checked and it's fine. I was actually under the car with the tech when he checked it. Next time it's in for an oil change, I'll check the hubs by holding the spring and turning the tires. I have an extended warranty that covers bearing and so I want to make sure that if they're bad, that I get them replaced while the warranty is still there.
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I'm wondering if you've got brakes dragging. If you can, try going out for a cruise out on a stretch of road where you won't have to brake at all, to let your brakes cool off completely. After driving for a while, COAST to a stop in Neutral, and once stopped, pull up the ebrake and put it in park, then check the temps of your rotors and drums. If any of them are hot, you'll know they were dragging.

Alternatively, check your pads and shoes for uneven wear. With disc brakes, the pads can drag until you get up to highway speeds and then the rotors basically knock the pads back just enough so that they don't drag any more. This might explain why you hear it a lot more at lower speeds.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
chillin05VUE

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I'm wondering if you've got brakes dragging. If you can, try going out for a cruise out on a stretch of road where you won't have to brake at all, to let your brakes cool off completely. After driving for a while, COAST to a stop in Neutral, and once stopped, pull up the ebrake and put it in park, then check the temps of your rotors and drums. If any of them are hot, you'll know they were dragging.

Alternatively, check your pads and shoes for uneven wear. With disc brakes, the pads can drag until you get up to highway speeds and then the rotors basically knock the pads back just enough so that they don't drag any more. This might explain why you hear it a lot more at lower speeds.
I had the front pads replaced a few weeks ago and they also checked the rear shoes and nothing. I will check the temp of the front brakes and see if they are getting hot.

As for the noise:

I just got back from my Saturn dealer and found out what I didn't want to hear. My RDM is going out. Actually, it's just really, REALLY noisy. I thought it was my wheel bearings because of the noise but the tech said that he could hear the gears inside the diff making noise. He also found out my front stabilizer bar is making noise. The diff is $2000 just for the part alone. But the best part of the whole thing is......I have an extended warranty and the stabilizer bar and rear diff are covered after my $100 deductible. The VUE should be much quieter after the repairs are made.

2005 VUE V6 AWD
Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
chillin05VUE

2005 VUE 3.5L

I dropped the VUE off at Saturn for the inspecter to come look at it (Saturn put me in an Impala) to determine that the RDM is bad. They are also going to look at the T/C after replacing the RDM because of the jerking that it does between 35-55mph. They said that the jerking may be caused by the RDM or by the T/C. They have to fix one first to single out the problem. I'm hoping the T/C is going out as well because I can get it all done in one visit and pay one deductable instead of multiple ones which can get spendy. So, I'm VUEless for now Oh well, best to get it done now while I'm still under the extended.

2005 VUE V6 AWD
Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
chillin05VUE

2005 VUE 3.5L

Update: Saturn has gotten the approval to replace thr RDM. BUT, there's a catch: They have to use a RDM that the extended warranty sends them. Yeah, I'm NOT happy with that. They may be sending a used one that is worse then the one I have now. Should I be worried? I mean, if it goes out again, the extended warranty people will have to replace it.....again. They have me in a rental (2010 Impala) for 8 days. A new unit is $2000 and I paid $1500 for the warranty so I'm assuming they're trying to save money. But they are also paying for the stabalizer bar and possibly a new T/C. I'm not sure how much the labor time is to replace the RDM, stabalizer bar and T/C but the hourly rate is about $75-90 (warranty price) so really, how much money are they actually saving.

2005 VUE V6 AWD
Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I gotta say these Saturns are costly buggers..... I have a feeling my AWD is making noise to. I know what the bearing noise sounds like cause i had that done 2 weeks after buying it, i knew what it was right away. I can see why Saturn is no more and GM for that matter....Their warranties suck! Ive been a Chevy man all my life, I also have a new 2010 Colorado but todays cars dont seem to hold up. They always needing something fixed.
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #12
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someclown View Post
If you can some how grease these centre support bearings you should because you cannot buy them aftermarket and they are $375.00 Ca. from the dealer.
I avoided buying a Rendeveuz because of the bearing eating problem, I never found this complaint on the Vue untill recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbvue View Post
I gotta say these Saturns are costly buggers..... I have a feeling my AWD is making noise to. I know what the bearing noise sounds like cause i had that done 2 weeks after buying it, i knew what it was right away. I can see why Saturn is no more and GM for that matter....Their warranties suck! Ive been a Chevy man all my life, I also have a new 2010 Colorado but todays cars dont seem to hold up. They always needing something fixed.
All these new cars have costly parts & many gadgets to break... If I have to say it again, you folks in the south & out west are lucky, you can still find older cars that aren't falling apart, & eaten by the corrosives they constantly use here.... & you can actually work on these yourself too.

I've never lost a car yet to major mechanical failure, but I see that may be coming soon... I've always lost my cars to the corrosives used here & body & frame rust.... I generally never get to the 100K major maintence services, as the bodies are so far gone it's not worth putting the money into them.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
Update: Saturn has gotten the approval to replace thr RDM. BUT, there's a catch: They have to use a RDM that the extended warranty sends them. Yeah, I'm NOT happy with that. They may be sending a used one that is worse then the one I have now. Should I be worried? I mean, if it goes out again, the extended warranty people will have to replace it.....again. They have me in a rental (2010 Impala) for 8 days. A new unit is $2000 and I paid $1500 for the warranty so I'm assuming they're trying to save money. But they are also paying for the stabalizer bar and possibly a new T/C. I'm not sure how much the labor time is to replace the RDM, stabalizer bar and T/C but the hourly rate is about $75-90 (warranty price) so really, how much money are they actually saving.
Have you ever changed the Versatrak fluid in your RDM? Given that you have the "inferior" 05+ unit, I'm surprised it's going out. On models up through mid-Summer of '04, the original design RDM had a tendency to start moaning and grinding, especially if you actually USED it, especially when making tight turns. I had my original replaced in early Summer, with another of the original designs. After another 5k miles, it started making the wah-wah noise again, but by then Saturn had figured out that their design was eating Versatrak fluid and it's supposed to be a 100k mile change interval, so they just neutered the thing and sent most owners home with a crappy RDM that basically was useless. Yours came that way from the factory.

How many miles are on your original RDM? I'm assuming it's well under 100k since you're still inside your extended warranty.

I've just taken to replacing the (quite pricey) Versatrak fluid every 10k to keep it quiet and working well on my *original spec* RDM. Still works like a champ too. Sorry about your situation, I hope your experience is unique, as the "new" design was supposed to prevent users from killing their rear diffs.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
chillin05VUE

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Have you ever changed the Versatrak fluid in your RDM? Given that you have the "inferior" 05+ unit, I'm surprised it's going out. On models up through mid-Summer of '04, the original design RDM had a tendency to start moaning and grinding, especially if you actually USED it, especially when making tight turns. I had my original replaced in early Summer, with another of the original designs. After another 5k miles, it started making the wah-wah noise again, but by then Saturn had figured out that their design was eating Versatrak fluid and it's supposed to be a 100k mile change interval, so they just neutered the thing and sent most owners home with a crappy RDM that basically was useless. Yours came that way from the factory.

How many miles are on your original RDM? I'm assuming it's well under 100k since you're still inside your extended warranty.

I've just taken to replacing the (quite pricey) Versatrak fluid every 10k to keep it quiet and working well on my *original spec* RDM. Still works like a champ too. Sorry about your situation, I hope your experience is unique, as the "new" design was supposed to prevent users from killing their rear diffs.
My production date was August 2004, so it's possible that I got the POS system. I never changed the fluid. When I got it, it had 30k and now it's around 46K. The system was quick to engage and worked fine. After I used it and got out the car, you could smell something burning. When I would drive it, it would sound like George Jetsons car on take off. The faster I went, the louder it got. Hopefully they fix it the first time just in case they close later down the road. Keeping my fingers crossed and I'll see hopefully next week when (or if) I get it back. But they also have to check the torque converter after they fix the RDM. Maybe I should have kept my Cutlass. At least I knew the history of it.

2005 VUE V6 AWD
Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
My production date was August 2004, so it's possible that I got the POS system. I never changed the fluid. When I got it, it had 30k and now it's around 46K. The system was quick to engage and worked fine. After I used it and got out the car, you could smell something burning. When I would drive it, it would sound like George Jetsons car on take off. The faster I went, the louder it got. Hopefully they fix it the first time just in case they close later down the road. Keeping my fingers crossed and I'll see hopefully next week when (or if) I get it back. But they also have to check the torque converter after they fix the RDM. Maybe I should have kept my Cutlass. At least I knew the history of it.
If your production was Aug 04, you MIGHT have had the original design, hard to say, I don't know the exact date they changed the design. If your AWD every actually worked well, my guess is you had the original design.

I have never gotten more than 25k miles on my Versatrak, and I probably engage my AWD more than most but I've never smelled anything burning coming from the rear diff, or had a sound like the Jetson's jet car. If you had the "wah-wah" noise in tight turns at slow speed at any point, then you likely did have the original design. It's possible that it basically just seized up on you completely. Hopefully they don't have to start replacing parts North of the RDM (i.e. drive shaft bearings and power takeoff in tranny).
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
popkr
popkr is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I just changed the back right hub on front drive vue after wife complained of rear road noise , I jacked up the rear and spun the wheels sure enough one was grinding , a trip to O'reilley's and 169 bucks later new hub ,no road noise , i saw some where you can lift the front an let the car idle to check front hubs .. sounds dangerous.

Good luck buy a hub made in usa Timken . Federal Mogul,
popkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkr View Post
I just changed the back right hub on front drive vue after wife complained of rear road noise , I jacked up the rear and spun the wheels sure enough one was grinding , a trip to O'reilley's and 169 bucks later new hub ,no road noise , i saw some where you can lift the front an let the car idle to check front hubs .. sounds dangerous.

Great for FWD vehicles, not so useful for AWD Vue's.
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #18
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbievueowner View Post
Great for FWD vehicles, not so useful for AWD Vue's.
NBVO ... I hope chillun will forgive the thread-jacking but I just ran across an answer to a question you recently asked (in another thread which I can't locate) regarding torque converter clutch and brake pedal ... here's the extract:

The TCC Brake switch sends a signal to the powertrain control module (PCM) when the brake pedal is depressed. The switch is normally open when the brake pedal is in the released position. When the brake pedal is depressed, the switch is closed. If the torque converter clutch (TCC) is engaged when the brake pedal is depressed, the PCM will disengage the TCC.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
chillin05VUE

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
NBVO ... I hope chillun will forgive the thread-jacking but I just ran across an answer to a question you recently asked (in another thread which I can't locate) regarding torque converter clutch and brake pedal ... here's the extract:
Help, call the police, I've been thread-jacked!!.....lol...j/k

2005 VUE V6 AWD
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkr View Post

I wouldn't get to excited about the Fed Moguls, I Just had to change lt.front do to failure after only 16 months in the vehicle
Lift four wheels off the ground on AWD or the car will take off on you!!!!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote