SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
jonnycube
jonnycube is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Exhaust pipe hitting frame

My wife's 95 SC2 got rear-ended, and since then the exhaust pipe has been rattling against the frame of the car, where it goes around a bend right before reaching the muffler. The car looks perfect - there is no visible damage at all. Nothing appears to be bent.

The problem is that I can't push or bend anything back into place, because the entire exhaust system is suspended on those rubbery things that allow for movement. It's designed to allow movement, so I don't know how to put it back in place.

Alternatively, I thought of wrapping something padded around the frame where the pipe is hitting. My only concern would be finding something soft that isn't likely to catch fire.

Any ideas, anyone? She's due back from Rome on Thursday and she'll be thrilled if I have it fixed.
jonnycube is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Exhaust pipe hitting frame

Something is out of position. Either one or more of the exhaust hangers is bent, or the spaceframe is bent or out of alignment. Have you had the spaceframe checked at a collision shop?

Is the pipe hitting the spaceframe, or some part of the rear suspension?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
emesnarf
emesnarf is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1

Maybe its just the.rear most strap let go of the muffler letting it is bounce off the bottom of the car. The strap is known to rot with the rear ender speeding it along.
emesnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Sounds like when the rear of the car got hit, it hit the muffler. That probably put a bend in the exhaust pipe and now its hitting the floor of the car. Most likely where it goes over the rear cross member. Wouldnt take much force to bend it out of shape. But it would take a lot more to put back into the correct shape.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote