SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
bates
bates is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1
Dizzy i got trans code 23 on my 93 sl1 auto help

i got a 93 sl1 it runs good till it gets warmed up then trans likes to hang in second i think but if i stop and go agin it does fine for a bit then hangs agin. if you wind it up it will shift but thats not correct for normal driving conditions. it only does this at 2lane speeds if i hit the highway it does fine. it likes to down shift too soon when it hangs as well. never got a code till today and i got trans code 23 which says no 3rd gear but it will hit 3rd and 4th. do i have a big problem? can anyone help me?
Bates
bates is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: i got trans code 23 on my 93 sl1 auto help

First step is to check the fuses in the UHJB.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
jaekl
jaekl is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
1995 SL1

Except that the solenoids disengage the gears so a symptom of a blown fuse would be multiple gears. You will probably have to check the operation of the 3rd clutch. Either there is not enough pressure directed to it, the seals are leaking, or the clutch pack is worn.
jaekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
bates

1993 SL1

ill check fuses maby ill get lucky if not guess its off to the tranny shop.
Bates
Old 10-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
bates

1993 SL1

just checked fuses they are good but did notice a cracked auto trans relay could that b the prob? cause i really dont trust the trans shops around here. guess if i have to go i will though.
Bates
Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

This is the drawing you need to check the solenoid. Nominal resistance is 4.5 ohms. You measure resistance between pins A and B. This is the 3rd gear solenoid.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
bates

1993 SL1

ok thanks its starting to get dark on me so ill wait till tomorrow and check my resistance on the 3rd solenoid. ill post my findings tomorrow when done. wish me luck.
Bates
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
bates

1993 SL1

ok i took the ohm meter to the a and b terminal and got a ohm reading of 5.0 does the test work the same for the other gear solenoids such as 4th if so is there a different ohm reading or is it the same as 3rd just wondering cause if the test works for 4th and the ohm reading is the same i could compare my readings. im using a digital meter with multi settings such as 20m, 2m, 200k, 2k, 200. i used the 200 setting was that the correct setting to use? if its supposed to b 4.5 and i got 5.0 is my solenoid bad?
Bates
Old 10-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The actual ohm reading is a function of the ambient temperature. 68F should be 4.5 and 122F should be 5.0. They should all read very close to the same resistance.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
bates

1993 SL1

it was about 69f-70f when i checked it and got 5.0 the last 6 digits of the vin is 119205 and 4th reads the same
Bates
Old 10-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That would imply that the solenoid is good. Clean out the socket on the transmission and the plug real good with CRC Electrical Connector cleaner, you get it at he parts store, put it all back together and then clear the code. Remove the PCM 2 fuse for a couple of minutes and put it back. Now go for a test drive and take it easy on the transmission. Leave the Performance switch in the normal setting, not performance. If the solenoid is good, then if it comes up with a "no 3rd gear" that usually points at a internal problem. Jaekl made reference to that possibility in the post above.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
bates

1993 SL1

ok thanks ill test drive it and see what happens ill c what happens. if i get it out tonight ill post my findings a bit later if not ill post them tomorrow. and i got GRC brand QD electronic cleaner. thats what i used on my ects sensor.
Bates
Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That will work. Get all the oil and dirt out of both the plug and socket. A bad connection at that plug will drop a solenoid.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
bates

1993 SL1

ok no more code 23 for trans. it still hangs in 2nd or 3rd when driving around at about 30mph. it don't do it at highway speeds 50mph+ and don't do it at 30mph unless car has reached normal operating temp. i think i got code 23 cause it hung and didn't shift for a bit. it will shift agin if i stop and start agin or floor it and wind it out as if im on the highway. it does go through all gears. just hangs at 2nd or 3rd not sure. if i do get it to shift past point where it hangs it will down shift back to that gear and hang agin if i let up on it. when it down shifts back to gear where it hangs without hitting the gas the tach jumps up(to about 3 grand) as if im free reving but trans is not slipping hit gas and car goes but is hung agin unless u wind it out or stop. fluid is full and looks good.
Bates
Old 10-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You will have to change the ATF a couple of times along with the filter and drive it using part throttle. It will not shift like you are used to until its warm anyway. Be absolutely certain that you use an ATF the is Dexron-3 compatible. Do not use anything that is Dexron-6. The PCM will take time to learn when to shift. Leave it out of teh performance mode until it gets squared away. The thing is 16 years old and a bit worn.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #16
bates

1993 SL1

ok ill change fluid. it shifts great till it gets warm then the problem starts its like it dont want to hit 3rd or 4th when tryin to take it easy. when it does finally shift at about 45mph to next gear soon as speed drops back to 40mph it down shifts and the rpm's go to 3 to 4 grand. its like it dont want to stay in 3rd or 4th after it gets warm unless its on the highway. ill try the fluid change and try it but i fear it wont help i fear i have bigger issues but i don't know. is there a down shift or passing gear sensor or solenoid that could b going bad? one more thing a faulty egr wouldn't cause this prob would it?
Bates
Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
bates

1993 SL1

changed fluid and drove it about 60 miles it done good till i hit a back road for last 2 miles of trip and was doing speeds of about 30-40 mph. then it lost 2nd 3rd and 4th gear any ideas
Bates
Old 10-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #18
jaekl
jaekl is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
1995 SL1

Have had any coolant loss lately? (Old Nuc, I had to ask)

I did and the coolant proceeded to destroy the friction material on the clutch plates. Would work when cold but would soon drop down to just first gear.
What color was the fluid that you drained out? A bit brown? Take the valve body cover off and check for a white foam. The steam must condense there. It could also be blown seals or the line pressure is too low, which could be a bad solenoid??? How many miles on the trans and regular fluid changes?
jaekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Missing coolant or a stuck pressure control solenoid will do it along with a well worn valve body.

This is how you test for coolant in the ATF. Change the fluid and collect it in a clean dry container. You are going to only need a very small bit of of teh bottom of what is in your collection pan. Go to kitchen and heat up an old cast iron skillet to 300F or so. This temperature is the point where a drop of cold water sizzles in the pan but does not bounce and skate around. After you get it hot but not too hot put 1 drop of your ATF into the pan. If it sizzles its coolant. If it just spreads out and smokes its dry.

It is recommended that this test be preformed when your wife/mother/GF is out of the house and will be for a while.

Last edited by OldNuc; 10-07-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
bates

1993 SL1

ok thanks for the test tip ill make sure the woman is gone first
Bates