saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
bdobraj
Advanced Member
bdobraj is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default oil consumption/burn

i noticed that my car burns oil like all s-series, im not positive but i would say about 1/2 quart for 650 miles or so. anyway, i hear that doing a pisition soak or something like that will reduce the oil burning? any details on that?
bdobraj is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really nice

1994 SC1
Default Re: oil consumption/burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdobraj View Post
i noticed that my car burns oil like all s-series, im not positive but i would say about 1/2 quart for 650 miles or so. anyway, i hear that doing a pisition soak or something like that will reduce the oil burning? any details on that?
Search function is your friend.
Baron5867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Here is one:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80118

Wolfman also has a nice write up in the How-To library.
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Yes, the search is great.

I have to search for front coil replacement - just found out my front spring is broken on my 1st ever Saturn I just bought last week!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
bdobraj
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

alright, i did Wolfmans procedure for the MMO piston soak, except i didnt get any white smoke on start up like wolfman said would happen, also he said you might find difficulty starting up but my car went right up. did i do something wrong?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
did i do something wrong?
Kinda hard to tell... since we weren't watching you

It might help if you told us what you actually did. However, the best way to test what happened is just to drive through a normal tank of gas or two and check your oil consumption every couple of hundred miles.

If your soak didn't work, as an alternative to the MMO soak - search for a post by cboss with 'seafoam' in it. He mixed some kind of oil (CDC?) with Seafoam to get a certain conistency (50/50, IIRC) and did the piston soak... seemed to have helped him.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
rlhdghhmh
rlhdghhmh is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

I checked tigers page and seen the pics and instructions but can anyone tell me if the filter will work for the SOHC or is there a different size in the same brand.
2002 SL1 GO BIG OR GO HOME
rlhdghhmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

A quart every 1300 miles is not too bad. You might consider a couple AutoRx treatment cycles as well. It provides gradual, gentle, cleaning and might help consumption.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
alright, i did Wolfmans procedure for the MMO piston soak, except i didnt get any white smoke on start up like wolfman said would happen, also he said you might find difficulty starting up but my car went right up. did i do something wrong?
Did you happen to peer into the chamber to see if there was any MMO left on the piston tops? It's possible that most of it leaked down into the crankcase, and you managed to expel the rest before starting it, meaning minimal/no smoke. I've read here that it's actually a _good_ sign if the MMO drains down, that means it's unlikely there's consumption-causing buildup on the oil rings.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhdghhmh View Post
I checked tigers page and seen the pics and instructions but can anyone tell me if the filter will work for the SOHC or is there a different size in the same brand.
Yes, the filter will work. Motorcraft FL-400S is just an oversized filter. I have been using oversized filters for years. For example, I bought Adavance Auto Total grip filters. They are AA3600 for oversized. Saturns use a AA3614 according to a reference. Same with SuperTech at Walmart. A ST3600 is oversized. ST3614 is the one they list for a S-Series. It gives you more filter area and you can load it up with more crud before going into the bypass mode. As long as the bypass pressure is correct, and the diameter is correct, the size does not matter (unless there is no space for length). More examples of oversized filters are Wix 51516, Mobil 1 M1-209, and Purolator PureOne PL20195. The last 3 were high quality with better filtration. The Mobil 1 filter is very expensive. The Motorcraft FL-400S is comparable to the Purolator PureOne. It is a good bang for the buck quality overized filter. The neat thing is I can use any one of these filters on my parents Briggs and Stratton motor on their rider. A briggs filter is over $12.00, so I saved $9 installing a SuperTech ST3614.
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
bdobraj
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

well, i let the car sit overnight when i did it, and when i cranked it over in the morning, i saw the rags fly out, but no spitting MMO... if that was supposed to happen... i put about 5 oz in the gas tank as well. i had filled about 15-20 miles prior so i figured there was no harm.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
well, i let the car sit overnight when i did it, and when i cranked it over in the morning, i saw the rags fly out, but no spitting MMO... if that was supposed to happen...
No. You're only supposed to use one rag, draped over all four holes. If you stuff anything into the holes, the air pushed up by the piston will just blow it out like a pop-gun cork. The idea is to have a single rag, heavy enough to stay in place when the MMO comes flying out, _draped_ across all four holes.

But if you don't have a mess of MMO on your hood pad, or the front end, or the engine compartment, and there was no smoke, it certainly sounds like it all drained into the crankcase.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
bdobraj
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

alright well then i will take it as a good sign then lol.