Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
GQROD
GQROD is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default 97 SW2 code p0134

Hi

97 sw2,107,000 miles

Don't know if fuel filter or pump had been changed recently, filter still has factory decals showing not to kink fuel lines.

Wires have not been changed

Work done

Replaced ects with brass from AZ

Flushed coolant

Replaced Thermostat from AZ

New NGK plugs

Runs great except for this fault code popping up.

I got this code, replaced both o2 sensors from AZ bosch, disconnected battery for a few minutes to clear codes.

Drove car two days then code came back

The connectors looked clean, this is the third time i'm getting this code.

Page 6-8 of Haynes manual shows code to be "niether rich nor lean conition is detected upstream of oxygen sensor ouput"

I used dielectric grease on connectors when i installed them, could this be why i keep getting the same code or is the PCM fualty?

Filled up tank with 87 and had slightly erradic idle at stop light. Felt like it was going to shut off but stayed running.
GQROD is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 97 SW2 code p0134

That is an insufficient activity code from the first O2 sensor. As you have a wiring problem that very well could be O2 sensor grounds that are not attached I would suggest getting the wiring straightened out first. The fix for a real P0134 is a new O2 sensor. Do not try a Bosch Universal, they do not work. The Denso or NGK direct fit unit does work well though. RockAuto sells the Denso sensor. http://www.rockauto.com/

Quote:
I used dielectric grease on connectors when i installed them, could this be why i keep getting the same code or is the PCM fualty?
That alone has ruined the sensors. Do not grease these connectors. Only grease the rubber seal if you just can not resist greasing something. O2 sensors are referenced to outside o2 through the connectors.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
GQROD

1997 SW2

Wow thank you for your advice, i didn't know greasing the connectors could damage the sensor.

I'll replace the exhaust manifold sensor with the correct one you describe.
Should i get it at the dealer? or is there a part number i can reference?

I have corrected the ground wire issue,and am clearing out the pcm now, i'll drive it like this and if the service light shoots the same code i'll replace the 02 sensor, another member on my other post had mentioned on his earlier model that these wires gave him an o2 issue also.

Though on the wiring diagram i did not see how they were related. But i'm willing to be a good listener and apply all advice possible.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
GQROD

1997 SW2

After connecting the ground wires that were loose on the rear of the transmission (2 tan on one eyelet connector, one tan/wht stripe, one black/wht stripe)

The car now runs bad! it has a high idle code 0507 and a p0131 code.

I cleaned the 02 sensor connector and had disconected the battery to clear the old code of p0134

Filled up the tank with 87 octane and it has gone through a 1/4 tank in 15 miles of around town driving. It was not this bad when the wires were loose.

This is how the car ran before i put in the new ects brass temp sensor from AZ, it had been running great until today.

Temp guage shows 3/8 but my low level and temp light were flashing while driving.

I ordered the NTK brand 02 sensor from Rock Auto as had been advised, can just the 02 sensor be wrecking all this havoc? (its a bosch )
Old 06-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I am not sure what you are using for a wiring diagram. The rear O2 sensor is part number 21538 for the NGK sensor. That one is not in the RockAuto stock so use the Denso part, its 2344618.

Right under the #4 cylinder runner on the back of the block is a set of wires, these are the front and rear O2 sensor grounds and the PCM grounds. Check and see if they are there.

Have you checked for a vacuum leak yet? P507 is usually an intake manifold vacuum leak or a jammed IAC valve. You can gently spray brake cleaner on the head/manifold joint and all of the attached hoses and if you find it the idle will drop. The P0131 is a dead front O2 sensor. Before installing a new expensive O2 sensor you are going to have to clean out the wiring connector very good. Use CRC Electrical Connector cleaner as a final rinse after cleaning it several times with brake cleaner. Keep the new O2 sensor away from all chemical sprays and be certain the connector is clean and dry before installing it and connecting it up. If you bought one of the NTK/NGK sensors it comes with a nice instruction sheet that tells you of all the ways to kill it.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
GQROD

1997 SW2

Thanks again for the help i ordered the front 02 sensor since that is what came up on the code.

I'll clean up the connector again and make sure it's dry.

The wiring diagram is in the haynes manual.

I had loose wires on the back of the head that did not seem related to the 02 sensor but maybe i'm wrong, in the haynes manual it states these wires are for the low brake fluid light and the fuel level sender unit.

Again maybe i'm looking at the wrong diagram? it's page 12-56 in the haynes manual.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I don't have a Haynes. Using ALLdata and the paper FSM. The grounds that go on the back of the block are 2 tan wires connected to 1 ring terminal and 2 black with white tracer wires connected to 1 ring terminal. These 2 ring terminals are attached to the back of the block right below the #4 intake runner. You can feel them with your hand from the left side and actually see them if you have a light.

As you are aware the wiring and grounding is critical. Some of your problems could be caused by fouled up wiring.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
GQROD

1997 SW2

Yes these are back there however there is only the tan/white and only one black/wht stripe on this one eyelet, the other two wires are tan on one eyelet.

Do these come from the sensor to ground or from the pcm to ground?

I checked the continuity of the tan and there is no continuity, i checked the continuity of the bl/wht,tan/wht stripe and it has continuity.

Is it possible the 02 is shot and this is why there is no continuity on the tan?

The pcv valve was not pushed in all the way, i pushed it in but it still has erradic idle, high idle to 3000 rpm when put in park.

Is it possible it's the ects again?, i got it at auto zone rather than the dealer.

Just replaced it a few days ago.

I'll check the wiring and see what i come up with thank you very much!

Last edited by GQROD; 06-26-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That should be OK on those block wires. You willnot read any continuity on tehPCM reference. Did you check the ECTS connector for any signs of corrosion? It is very sensitive to corrosion.

You probably have a vacuum leak and are going to have to use teh brake cleaner squirt all of the intefaces to find it.

Have you done anything with teh throttle body?

Go back and look at the picture richpin posted in your other thread. That is what is supposed to be on the ground point on the back of the block. Someone has been playing in teh wiring of the car and it will never run right until its fixed right.

Last edited by OldNuc; 06-26-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
GQROD

1997 SW2

Thank you for responding so quickly,

OK i looked at the pic and on one eyelet i only have the one black/wht stripe not two

Basicly it's tan/wht stripe and black/wht stripe on one eyelet, the other set of wires are both tan on one eyelet.

So then it should be two black/wht stripe on one eyelet? correct?

I'll see if a wire was cut. But the eyelet looked fine so it's puzzling me.

Before connecting the wires to ground it ran great when i replaced the ects mileage was much better. Ran great,idled great.

Now the engine without a/c on is heating up until little past half then the fan kicks on.

I'll start checking everything and report back thank you for being so helpful i appreciate it!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Be careful with this. look at the bolts on the upper transmission mounts as there are some wires on there also. Before moving or cutting it would be a real good idea to find out what is going on.

Is that car a manual or automatic?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
GQROD

1997 SW2

Ok i checked to see if there were any wires that were cut, there were no cut wires.

I won't be cutting wiere or anything unless i pass by this forum first !

Is it possible that for the 97 model year that this wire color is correct and for 98 and later there may have been a color change from a tan/wht stripe and black/whtstripe to two black wires with a white stripe?

Also just to settle my curiousity, i unplugged 02 sensor at the exhaust manifold, the car started right away and idled at 3000 rpm then settled down to under 1000 rpm.

Let it warm up until the fan kicked in and took it for a test ride.

Surprisingly it rode perfectly, i was amazed! it idled great, did not shut off, the idle was steady while in gear and with or without the a/c on it performed extremely well.

So all i can deduce is that the 02 sensor is shot, why ? not sure it's a brand new bosch unit.

I can only imagine it was the di electric grease and the lack of a grounding point ( since i installed it before i connected the ground wires to the head )

Thank you for pointing out the error i made on this !! it helped a lot.

I figure with the 02 sensor disconnected it had to re learn to run the engine, or utilized a default mode or limp home mode to operate correctly.

I'm hoping that the problem lies only with the 02 sensor and not any wiring issues.

So my next move is to leave the 02 sensor disconnected and ride it this way until i get the new NGK sensor then clear the codes and test it.

Thank you for all the help and i'll report back as i make progress, i did hear a hissing sound coming from underneath the battery, unless this is normal i think the a/c hose may be leaking. But that's another project for another day.

Last edited by GQROD; 06-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
GQROD

1997 SW2

Forgot to mention it's an automatic, i changed the filter and fluid dex 3 castrol

Changed the engine oil 5w 30 quaker state

Thermostat changed,ects changed brass, coolant flushed

NGK spark plugs

Did not change wires yet.

Have not changed fuel filter yet.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, the Bosch sensor does seem to be causing you some grief. This will take some doing to get all straight and running right though.

Yes, its entirely possible that the number of wires changed a bit. someone with a 97 manual might be nice and look it up for you though. Its the wires on the O2S and PCM engine ground point that you are interested in.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
GQROD

1997 SW2

I do have a stupid question

Is it possible that the bosch sensor was fried due to a short ?

Or is it just the di electric grease that is giving the false reading of a shot sensor?

Ordered the NGK front one it's on it's way from fed ex.

I ask becasue i don't want to put in the new one as you warned me about without cleaning the connector thouroughly,

But also if there is a short then the extra current may have fried the bosch sensor.

How can i check this? should i do a resistance test on each wire to see if it's shorted or not? what resistance values am i looking for?

Thanks again
Old 06-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is only one wire in the front O2 sensor connector and there is no continuity to it as it goes straight into the PCM. There is a 450mv bias voltage but that is only there so the PCM knows what its doing. The grease poisons the sensor and it just goes dead. The PCM will still try and control the fuel with a dead sensor to some degree. Just clean the connector. Now is a good time to do it as you have the connection apart so clean teh one that is attached to the car. be sure that you use the CRC Electrical Connection cleaner as your last cleaning solution. Giving it a couple of days to air out is a very good idea.

The only stupid question is the one you do not ask.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #17
GQROD

1997 SW2

Thank you for all your help i sincerely appreciate it!

I found the ground connections on the wiring diagram it was however listed for models up to 1995 which is why i did not find it the first time. These wires are factory color coded like this ( at least through 1995 on the diagram ).

I'll clean it out the connector per your instructions and let it dry out for a couple days.

Without the a/c on is it normal for the temp needle to go to a little over half, fan kicks in, then starts this cycle over again?

When the a/c is on it's always at 3/8 on the guage.

I'll be checking for vacuum leaks per your instructions as well just to make sure everything is working.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The fan runs when the A/C is on and that usually keeps the temp in the 3/8 range. With the A/C off then the car will warm up to a bit over 1/2, about 5/8 and the fan comes on and cools off to just above 3/8 and shuts off. that is the way it is supposed to work. If you drive at 35 to 40 with teh A/C off on a reasonably cool day the gauge will sit at just above 3/8 and never move.

Sounds like its working normally.

Just drizzle the brake cleaner on the joint between the head and manifold. The #1 cylinder runner is under the power steering pump. And the underside is well hidden over the alternator. There is always the outside chance that you have a different problem.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #19
GQROD

1997 SW2

Great it does exactly what you describe, i'll spray the cleaner just to make sure as you suggest!

Thanks again, hopefully the new 02 sensor will be here before the end of next week and i can solve that problem.

Started the car this morning and it shot up to 2000 rpm then settled down to 1000 and idles fine in gear so it's gotta be the 02 sensor messing everything up but i'm still checking everything else. Sensor plug still disconnected, ground wires are still attached.