SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #101
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: GM moves Saturn closing date !

there was a bulletin we got last year about saturn can now do warranty work on other vehicles and gm on saturn and also saturn can sell gm certified used cars and gm can sell saturn. it all happened at the same time last year. people dont like change and im sure that includes some gm service managers. no reason at all to not take saturn warranty work. they get paid for it. saturm will most likly sell aura, astra, vue and outlook thru 2011. they will buy cars from gm at msrp less 39 percent. saturn will have to pay for there own advertising, rebates etc.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #102
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Caveat Emptor on buying anything that is end of life and end of company.
I've been in those shoes before. When Fiat America retreated back to Italy and dealers closed down, service and parts were getting more and more difficult to obtain. Eventually, it go so bad I had to get rid of the cars.

Having lived through it, I can't see it happening to domestic makes such as Saturn because of the sheer number of Saturns out on the road today vs the number of Fiats & Alfas out on the road in the '70s. Plus the fact that there are far more GM trained factory mechanics out there vs the number of Fiat mechanics out there. Those people need to make a living and they do it by fixing cars.

When Fiat retreated, they designated a number of service centres as factory authorized service ctrs where warranty service can be obtained. I can't see any reason a corporation the size of GM with its massive client base can't do this.

With all the GM dealership shutdowns over the next few years, I expect a good number of GM trained mechanics to be looking for work. They can be operators of warranty service centres and paid by warranty administration office for warranty work. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be more GM warranty service centres than there are Toyota dealerships. It's simply strength in numbers.

Last edited by eelfliw; 04-29-2009 at 10:20 AM.
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #103
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by L55 View Post
GM will continue to provide inventory to stores until the end of 2009 or they will risk tremendous legal exposure.
GM itself has already said it will not be doing that:

http://www.saturnfans.com//node/3026

"Secondly, production of GM-built Saturn vehicles will end sooner than originally thought. Production is currently not slated to end of this calendar year, but instead after the 2009 model year later this summer or fall. A final timeline for the build-out of the 2009 models has not yet been set."
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #104
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
You're actually wrong about that. It is the end of the MODEL YEAR. From the home page of this very site:

http://www.saturnfans.com//node/3026

"Secondly, production of GM-built Saturn vehicles will end sooner than originally thought. Production is currently not slated to end of this calendar year, but instead after the 2009 model year later this summer or fall. A final timeline for the build-out of the 2009 models has not yet been set."
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/

Watch the video at 30:48. Nothing really stated at the end of the model year
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #105
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post

I'll go out on a limb and say that they will not be producing cars that do not create a PROFIT. The smaller Saturns have always sold at a loss. They needed Saturn sales to boost the CAFE in order to sell gas hogs. They are shutting many plants for the whole summer. There ain't any way in heck they'll resume production after that as a new model year will be under way.

piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #106
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
They have more interesting cars that Saturn right now. The Corvette, Camaro, Malibu, and 2010 Equinox
Coming from the old GM hierarchy. I always like Buick's and Oldsmobile's because of their better upscale interiors and exteriors in comparison to a Chevrolet. Even a Saturn was unique and a more satisfying car than your typical Chevrolet.

Chevrolet has definitely gone more upscale, but there's still a bit of a stigma there.

I'm not certain that GM deserves anybody's future loyalty after this ride we're still riding on. Not knowing if tomorrow your dealer will be shut down. A really great ownership experience...

I and many others would like a middle ground choice between Cadillac and Chevrolet. If Buick survives this may be the ticket. There's a lot of "if's" at this moment... When I buy my next car I'm not sure Buick will even have a car, or crossover I'd be inrterested in. Or if Buick will even be in business.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #107
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
I'll go out on a limb and say that they will not be producing cars that do not create a PROFIT. The smaller Saturns have always sold at a loss. They needed Saturn sales to boost the CAFE in order to sell gas hogs. They are shutting many plants for the whole summer. There ain't any way in heck they'll resume production after that as a new model year will be under way.

The Kansas plant that builds the Aura and Lansing that builds the Outlook are of the 7 plants that will not going on extended shutdown. So these may continue on as unchanged for a short run 2010s until GM tells them to quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I and many others would like a middle ground choice between Cadillac and Chevrolet. If Buick survives this may be the ticket. There's a lot of "if's" at this moment... When I buy my next car I'm not sure Buick will even have a car, or crossover I'd be inrterested in. Or if Buick will even be in business.
I seriously doubt Buick is going anywhere. GM is relying on the brand in its global markets where it seems to do better than others.

If the Opel Insignia OPC comes here in a Buick Regal model, I could look past the old person image of the brand for one
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #108
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I quoted their (GM's) Press conference linked right from this very site...what more proof do you need?
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #109
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I'm not certain that GM deserves anybody's future loyalty after this ride we're still riding on. Not knowing if tomorrow your dealer will be shut down. A really great ownership experience...
I would not want to have a new GM product due to the unknown of how much of a hassle it would be to get warranty work. I had an extended warranty on my Saturn initially and the dealer was 300 yards from work. You cannot get much more convenient then that.

I understand GM has about half the market share they used to have. They were going to need to close some of the extra dealerships, especially the under performing ones to remain competitive.
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #110
wolfman

Quote:

I quoted their (GM's) Press conference linked right from this very site...what more proof do you need?

And again from here:
"Charles Murray from Design News: The demise of Pontiac has grabbed auto industry headlines over the past few days, but little has been said about GM's abrupt change in plans for its Saturn. Yesterday, the giant automaker said it no longer plans to build Saturns through the end of 2011. Instead, it will phase out Saturn at the end of the 2009 model year"