SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
gordong11
gordong11 is on a distinguished road

Default Just bought my 1st Saturn...love it!

Well I just bought my 1st Saturn, a 2008 Vue XE AWD V6, w/ convienence pkg and luggage rack, for 15200! (18000miles)as pre-owned from a Saturn dealership in NJ.

I was not expecting to buy this, but I loved the car so much I couldn't resist!I owned 2 different Jetta's over the last 11 years.

I am concerned about GM phasing out the brand however. Should I purchase an extended warranty? I don't want to lose my factory warranty. will I? what should I do?

Thanks for the help, glad to join the club!

Gordo
gordong11 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2
Default Re: Just bought my 1st Saturn...love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordong11 View Post
Well I just bought my 1st Saturn, a 2008 Vue XE AWD V6, w/ convienence pkg and luggage rack, for 15200! (18000miles)as pre-owned from a Saturn dealership in NJ.

I was not expecting to buy this, but I loved the car so much I couldn't resist!I owned 2 different Jetta's over the last 11 years.

I am concerned about GM phasing out the brand however. Should I purchase an extended warranty? I don't want to lose my factory warranty. will I? what should I do?

Thanks for the help, glad to join the club!

Gordo
Welcome to Saturn Fans, and great choice in your Vue,we love ours As to your warranty ANY GM dealership will honor it. So no worries on that. If you do buy an extended warranty make sure is a GM major guard Warranty,there also know as gmpp(GM protection plan). This way it can and will be used at any GM dealer. Enjoy your new Purchase
Saturn Saved The Best For Last
Live for Nothing...Or Die For Something

2008 Vue XR 3.6
1997 SL2 Auto 110K miles as of 12-14-13
<-----2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
gordong11

Thank you for the answer. I love the car so much, it drives so great. All my friends are impressed with the car too and they are Acura & BMW drivers for the most part. The 2008 Vue is a winner.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCitySaturn View Post
Welcome to Saturn Fans, and great choice in your Vue,we love ours As to your warranty ANY GM dealership will honor it. So no worries on that. If you do buy an extended warranty make sure is a GM major guard Warranty,there also know as gmpp(GM protection plan). This way it can and will be used at any GM dealer. Enjoy your new Purchase
this warranty issue keeps coming up again and again. Yes, all GM dealers can do warranty work on Saturn. Key word here is "can" not "are required to."
Unfortunately, it seems that many if not most of them choose not to do warranty work on Saturns, as many members on this forum can corroborate.
Hopefully this will change.
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
gordong11

So based on this "can" but "not required", I should buy the GM protection plan? or go with another form of this? I'm scared if I do buy the GM protection plan, that if GM goes into bankruptcy they will no longer honor the protection plan either. Any advice?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to the Saturn community.
-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
Unfortunately, it seems that many if not most of them choose not to do warranty work on Saturns, as many members on this forum can corroborate.
Since Saturn dealers are very scarce in my area I called 2 Chevy dealers to ask about warranty work - they won't touch my VUE.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
gordong11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Since Saturn dealers are very scarce in my area I called 2 Chevy dealers to ask about warranty work - they won't touch my VUE.
Do you have the GM protection plan or standard warranty?

I Love my car and have dealer close to home for now.....but for who knows how long?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Do you have the GM protection plan or standard warranty?
I'll have to dig out my paperwork and see.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
gordong11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
I'll have to dig out my paperwork and see.

It's probably the standard as GM Pro Plan costs money. I wonder if since Saturn is officially still around, you are being shut out, but if Saturn goes complete bye bye, maybe then chevy will service. It'd an interesting scenario. I still love my car!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

gordong, As the plans are to share the VUE platform as the new Equinox, if this does occur, parts and service will be easily available at any Chevy dealer, no problem. I am personally for extended warranties and in this scenario, a good idea, just make sure that wherever you get it is usable anywhere you go.
You got a great deal on that VUE. Don't Worry, Drive Happy!
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
gordong11

It really bothers me that in this economic climate, and American companies especially GM/Saturn are producing such high quality that people don't even test drive an American car. 100,000's of jobs are at stake and major part of the US economy, it only benefits everyone to buy American. At least a test drive.

My "08 Vue is the 1st American car I ever bought and I am very pleased. I test drove a VW Passat and Tiguan, Honda CRV, Nissan Altima, Suzuki Vitara, Mitsubishi Lancer and a Toyota Camry...and Vue was the best driver by far. I felt compelled to try an American Car and am so glad for it. Not to mention I got 10k off the original MSRP, and top trade value.

I wish GM would subtly mention the economic benefit in their ads and offer some kind of chapter 11 proof warranty. People need to be informed on economics and the quality of today's cars.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
gordong11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
gordong, As the plans are to share the VUE platform as the new Equinox, if this does occur, parts and service will be easily available at any Chevy dealer, no problem. I am personally for extended warranties and in this scenario, a good idea, just make sure that wherever you get it is usable anywhere you go.
OH I'm not worried, but I do have a 72 month finance to consider.......I wouldn't trade my Vue for anything. I knew about all this when I purchased and still was well worth it. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My "08 Vue is the 1st American car I ever bought....
Your '08 VUE is an Opel that was assembled in Mexico. "American" is a meaningless term in the auto industry these days.
Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My "08 Vue is the 1st American car I ever bought and I am very pleased. I test drove a VW Passat and Tiguan, Honda CRV, Nissan Altima, Suzuki Vitara, Mitsubishi Lancer and a Toyota Camry...and Vue was the best driver by far. I felt compelled to try an American Car and am so glad for it. Not to mention I got 10k off the original MSRP, and top trade value.

I wish GM would subtly mention the economic benefit in their ads and offer some kind of chapter 11 proof warranty. People need to be informed on economics and the quality of today's cars.
Economic benefit? I think no one told you your Vue was made in Mexico with many parts sourced from China. A Camry is more American than your Vue. Enjoy your Vue and find yourself a decent local mechanic. After the warranty is up you are better off getting work done by an independant shop and not a dealer. As GM cuts 40% of it's dealer network over the next year I would expect the remaining GM service departments to take over warranty work on your Vue.
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #16
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Not really much shared -

different; engines, transmissions, chassis wheelbase, steering assist, HVAC, IP

Extended warranties are a cash-cow for those who sell them, I wouldn't recommend unless you can write it off as a business expense, or just simply can't sleep at night otherwise.
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
gordong11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealvue View Post
Economic benefit? I think no one told you your Vue was made in Mexico with many parts sourced from China. A Camry is more American than your Vue. Enjoy your Vue and find yourself a decent local mechanic. After the warranty is up you are better off getting work done by an independant shop and not a dealer. As GM cuts 40% of it's dealer network over the next year I would expect the remaining GM service departments to take over warranty work on your Vue.
I know exactly where the stuff was made on my car. All parts non-engine china, final assembly mexico, engine and parts USA. Assembly and non-engine parts only make up 1/3 cost of the car. If GM alone goes completely under the US will lose over 250,000 jobs, which includes subcontractors. some say upwards of 500,000...plus consider the communities in Michigan where 75% of the workforce would go unemployed and as a result all community business effected. I'm not saying buy American for the sake of saving the US economy just at least look and then make a decision. I have said my peace on this.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2

Quote:
I know exactly where the stuff was made on my car. All parts non-engine china, final assembly mexico, engine and parts USA. Assembly and non-engine parts only make up 1/3 cost of the car. If GM alone goes completely under the US will lose over 250,000 jobs, which includes subcontractors. some say upwards of 500,000...plus consider the communities in Michigan where 75% of the workforce would go unemployed and as a result all community business effected. I'm not saying buy American for the sake of saving the US economy just at least look and then make a decision. I have said my peace on this.
Gordong,

Don't let some "members" here bring you down. I supported and bought our Vue not because where it was assembled (Big Whoop Mexico) but for how nice it is and that any profits when it was sold went to help GM We owned a 04 Vue and the 08/09s are light years nicer. I don't really care if some don't like that.Enough said,enjoy your Vue!
Saturn Saved The Best For Last
Live for Nothing...Or Die For Something

2008 Vue XR 3.6
1997 SL2 Auto 110K miles as of 12-14-13
<-----2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
It's probably the standard as GM Pro Plan costs money.
Found my paperwork. Hopefully it's the "Pro Plan" b/c it cost me $1,340 for 75k mi. of extended coverage.