Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Negativity?

I forget who the guy was who was railing on people for "being negative."

OK...so if I see a bear scooping a salmon out of the river am I "negative" when I say...Gee, it looks like that salmon is going to get eaten?

I'm just calling 'em like I see 'em. I take no joy in seeing Saturn flame out. It's not unexpected, but not something I relish seeing either. For those that can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen or learn how to ignore the smoke alarm.

Cheers,
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Negativity?

People just don't want to see the obvious truths because they like their Saturns. Incidentally, those Saturns are largely unrelated to the current crop of Saturns. Those who have a newer Saturn could do just as well by the same car at a different division. Except Sky owners, the Sky is more personal roadster whereas the Solstice is more sports roadster.
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: Negativity?

I posted a variation of the following message in another post, but it applies here as well. I think the "troll" and "negativity" accusations come as a result of the same set of folks posting the same general "boo-hiss" messages about the future of Saturn over and over and over again. If there's new information about Saturn's demise, then let's discuss it... but until then spreading rumors/misinformation/opinion as fact should stop. I've yet to see an official statement from GM management that says they are closing or selling Saturn. They've said they're looking at options and looking for new ways of running the business. For some reason some media outlets equate GM's statement about "exploring options" with selling or closing the brand. I understand that with the company evaluating "all options," the latter is possible, but there are also 18 other options that are possible as well. I tend not to put a lot of stock in all the conspiracy theories about Saturn's premature closure.

Incidentally, its interesting that the same 20 or so folks post the same "negative" posts about Saturn over and over again, while several thousand SF visitors have signed the "SAVE SATURN" petition asking GM to keep Saturn around. They seem to have chosen not to get involved with all of the bickering...

Charlie
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
I forget who the guy was who was railing on people for "being negative."

OK...so if I see a bear scooping a salmon out of the river am I "negative" when I say...Gee, it looks like that salmon is going to get eaten?

I'm just calling 'em like I see 'em. I take no joy in seeing Saturn flame out. It's not unexpected, but not something I relish seeing either. For those that can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen or learn how to ignore the smoke alarm.

Cheers,
No, but it makes no sense poison the river then say "the salmon were going to die anyways". There's nothing wrong with discussing the Saturn issue both good and bad, but when it starts turning into negative posts aimed at provoking others against Saturn that is something completely different and unhealthy. Today brought out good news for Saturn owners. We should all take a breather, look back and realize how fortunate we are to have this camaraderie we have. Hopefully, we are all on the same side and want Saturn to succeed.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Its hard to trust GM, given how they did nothing but try to kill the division since it started. I remember vividly an older gentleman(who had worked for GM before retiring) coming up to me shortly after I bought my SC telling me how Saturn was bleeding the other brands dry, and a whole lotta other completely wrong stuff(non union, made in Japan, etc..) about the car. Wow, 1 car did all that, eh?

I believe that when you polarize peoples opinions, you gotta be doing something right. Perhaps its a generational thing. I don't believe I'm being negative when I say I don't have faith in GM to not screw it up. I would like nothing more for the company to survive...but lets be realistic...if they change so much of what we like, or used to like, what's the point?
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Incidentally, its interesting that the same 20 or so folks post the same "negative" posts about Saturn over and over again, while several thousand SF visitors have signed the "SAVE SATURN" petition asking GM to keep Saturn around. They seem to have chosen not to get involved with all of the bickering...

Charlie
I'll gladly sign a "Bring back the American built Saturns with dent resistant bodies" petition, but I choose not to sign the "Save Saturn" petition, as I feel that GM has already abandoned everything that made Saturn what it was, and I don't really care for the current Opels regardless of what logo is on the badge.
Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I'll gladly sign a "Bring back the American built Saturns with dent resistant bodies" petition, but I choose not to sign the "Save Saturn" petition, as I feel that GM has already abandoned everything that made Saturn what it was, and I don't really care for the current Opels regardless of what logo is on the badge.
Took the words right out of my mouth....'cept the Opel part. Some of the Opels are nice...they should just bring them over here and call them OPEL since people associate that brand with Europe. Maybe THEN they can sell that product up market. Food for thought.

Anyway, I've been a Saturn customer since almost the beginning (1993) and I also frequently help owners in the forums with their car troubles and questions. I also was one of the "defenders of the faith" on the saturn usenet group for years. I guess I've come full circle now that GM has gutted the brand. If some folks can't deal with my brutal honesty and my "negativity" it is really easy to put me on ignore. I won't mind at all. Ignoring the world around us and hoping that happy thoughts will carry the day is not my style and isn't a very useful strategy in this crazy world of ours.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ritz; 01-27-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Took the words right out of my mouth....'cept the Opel part. Some of the Opels are nice...they should just bring them over here and call them OPEL since people associate that brand with Europe. Maybe THEN they can sell that product up market. Food for thought.

Anyway, I've been a Saturn customer since almost the beginning (1993) and I also frequently help owners in the forums with their car troubles and questions. I also was one of the "defenders of the faith" on the saturn usenet group for years. I guess I've come full circle now that GM has gutted the brand. If some folks can't deal with my brutal honesty and my "negativity" it is really easy to put me on ignore. I won't mind at all. Ignoring the world around us and hoping that happy thoughts will carry the day is not my style and isn't a very useful strategy in this crazy world of ours.

Cheers,
+1 Speaking as someone who both worked for the "original" or if you prefer, "real" Saturn in the 90's, and also owned a real Opel back in the 70's. There was nothing wrong with either, which of course is why GM.... oh. never mind there I go again.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Been a Saturn owner/driver since 92-93. Drove an AMC before that, so buying American, supporting domestic car makers, etc., are things I am proud to do, but I'm not going to close my eyes and pretend that GM isn't in serious trouble.

Heck, I bought GM shares at $10, thinking it was a bargain and I was putting my money where my mouth was and showing support.

I'll still buy a GM car or a used Saturn, but I've said that all along. I am just open to German and Japanese cars now as well and will still go for the best bang for the buck.

Still plan on keeping my Ion for as long as possible and I still like my Ion far more than my SL2, but both are great cars.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #10
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

I'd buy American(probably not another GM-nothing that interests me), German, Swedish, Italian, or 1 or 2 of the Infinitis and Lexuses.

My next car will like be an Audi.
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
There's nothing wrong with discussing the Saturn issue both good and bad, but when it starts turning into negative posts aimed at provoking others against Saturn that is something completely different and unhealthy.
That is pretty much how I feel, too, which is why I do not post in those discussions and usually do not even bother to read them anymore. It has gone beyond just beating a dead horse - the horse is now ground meat. Like Charlie keeps trying to tell people - nothing is written in stone, yet, and everything else is just speculation.

BTW, I still love my (third) Saturn.
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=FGCA_XRL;1389832 My next car will like be an Audi.[/QUOTE]

Be prepared for horrendous costs, both for service and parts.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Be prepared for horrendous costs, both for service and parts.
Not any worse than most other European cars. German cars are built with the expectation that they will be maintained per the recommendations of the manufacturer. Skimp on this, and you'll get bitten in the fanny. I've owned a number of Porsche/Audi/VW cars and haven't yet been bitten by anything that wouldn't be classified as routine maintenance. I wish I could say the same for my VUE (passed 36k yesterday...sigh).

Cheers,
Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
bigbird

[QUOTE=Ritz;1389909]Not any worse than most other European cars.
QUOTE]

You're right. They're all horrendously expensive to maintain outside of warranty.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

[QUOTE=bigbird;1389988]
Quote:
Not any worse than most other European cars.
QUOTE]

You're right. They're all horrendously expensive to maintain outside of warranty.
Again, that hasn't been my experience. But I religiously maintain all my vehicles.

Cheers,
Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Can we have a new negativity forum so some of us can ignore it?

This fotovue btw, posting as my wife.
13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Not any worse than most other European cars. German cars are built with the expectation that they will be maintained per the recommendations of the manufacturer. Skimp on this, and you'll get bitten in the fanny. I've owned a number of Porsche/Audi/VW cars and haven't yet been bitten by anything that wouldn't be classified as routine maintenance. I wish I could say the same for my VUE (passed 36k yesterday...sigh).

Cheers,
Plus do it yourself or find a decent private mechanic and you'll save even more. I've owned both an Audi and an Acura and parts for the Audi cost less. Especially on the minor stuff like air/oil filters and brake pads.
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post
Can we have a new negativity forum so some of us can ignore it?

This fotovue btw, posting as my wife.
Are we being negative about negativity?
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

My oh my, look at what this thread has also become.
-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
bigbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
My oh my, look at what this thread has also become.
Not from me. I'm thinking positively. Saturn will be going back to its roots and manufacturing inexpensive small vehicles with polymer cladding in Springhill TN. Just like the old days. Wishful thinking.