SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 09:59 AM   #1
jb12
jb12 is on a distinguished road

Default Warranty America; Saturn Extended Warranty

Has anyone else been ambushed by these people?

Yesterday morning (Saturday) I was roused out of bed by a sales call offering me an extended warranty on my OLD Saturn (98 SL2) which I got rid of a year ago; when I told them that, they offered me a 7-year, 100K plan on my new Saturn (02 SC2, 1yr old, 15K) for about $1400. Having had experience with costly out-of-warranty repairs with my first (non-Saturn) car, extended warranties are something I always consider, but never buy. My 98 SL2 went 80K miles in 4 years with no repairs other than worn brake pad replacement and 2 flat tires. Here's the weird part:

They claimed to provide EXCLUSIVE extended warranties for Saturn (i.e. they are the only "official" warrantor for out-of-factory-warranty Saturn vehicles). Half-asleep and in a rush to leave the house, I told the guy I could not make this decision now and could he please send me something in the mail; to that he replied that they had sent me something months ago, but that I had not replied, which was the reason for the call. I told him I didn't recall receiving any such thing and could he please send me the information so I could consider it when I was better able to do so (i.e., fully awake and not pressed for time).

Why I didn't hang up at that point I don't know; like I said, I was half-asleep. I actually thought it was Saturn, and not a third-party warranty company. Bear with me, here comes the pièce de résistance....

He said he could not send me the contract info in the mail unless I purchased the "trial period" at $200 up front, fully refundable within 30 days. Despite my persistence that I was in no condition or mood to make the decision at that moment and could he please send me the information in the mail, this salesman insisted that I MUST decide NOW or else I would never again have the opportunity to purchase such a comprehensive extended warranty for my car at such a low rate, stressing that the warranty covered parts such as power windows and head gaskets which were not covered by the factory warranty and reassuring me that the trial period was fully refundable. In other words, I would have to pay $200 up front, RIGHT THEN AND THERE if I EVER wanted to even CONSIDER this warranty plan; THEN I could have the 30 days to decide if I wanted to keep it.

Who are these people? Does anyone else have experience with them? I'm sure they send offers to all Saturn owners, but are they really connected to Saturn in any way, as they claim? I think being ambushed on the phone at home at 9 a.m. on a Saturday is reason enough not to do business with them, and I know the topic of extended warranties has been discussed at length in this forum, but I want to do some research on this company for my own edification, and to see if any futher action is called for.

I haven't been able to find any information online or with the Better Business Bureau; I searched through my mail and couldn't find anything, though I now vaguely remember receiving something like this months ago about an exclusive 3rd-party Saturn extended warranty. Any information or experience anyone has about this particular warrantor would be greatly appreciated.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2002, 10:31 AM   #2
DHOOP
DHOOP is on a distinguished road

Default Pests

In NY we can sign on to a register that tells sales people that we don't want to be bothered. One of the better laws that this state has.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:51 AM   #3
tbl01
tbl01 is on a distinguished road

Where is that register? I am getting hit with telemarketing everyday. It is getting out of hand.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I got one of these 2 years ago Telemarketer Stopper . It works great, but they no longer can sell them. Radio Shack sells something the call the telemarketer zapper that works on the same principle..

The cheapest and easiest way to do it is to record a SIT tone at the start of your answering machine message. Here is a SIT tone.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:49 AM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by tbl01
Where is that register? I am getting hit with telemarketing everyday. It is getting out of hand.
We have something like that in Florida - a no telemarketing list - that the dirtball marketers still call. What I did was list my phone in the phone book as a fake name - this way whenever some dodo calls for "Mr. or Mrs Crabgrass" (not really that one, but similar), I know right away that it is a telemarketer. Then, I can have fun with them or just hang up.

You phone company will charge you for a private listing, but won't charge for a listing in another name. Be creative.

My caller-id shows up as "D. Tracy" - just to be silly. This way when I call people and they answer with "who the heck is 'D.Tracy'? I always say "didn't you watch tv as a kid?"

On the warranty thing - that sounds like a complete scam. Call your dealer and complain. They sold your info to someone. Also, don't ever give your real phone number out to anyone if you don't like spam calls. I always give some crisis hotline number or the number to the std clinic. :o:
Old 10-13-2002, 03:09 PM   #6
apatia
apatia is on a distinguished road

Default perhaps...

Those telemarketers might have received your car information from Experian (the credit reporting company).

I pulled a copy of my experian credit report recently and one of the verfication questions was "What model car I owned"? My exact thought when I saw this why the he-ll would a [Experian] a credit reporting company know or even need to know what kind of car I drive. I was seriously creeped out by this.

Also, I read somewhere that 75-90% of the pre-approved credit offers you receive get their information from Experian.

BTW - I didn't finance my car, so it's not as if they received this info from a financial institution.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:36 PM   #7
piney
Master Member

Default Re: perhaps...

Quote:
Originally posted by apatia
Also, I read somewhere that 75-90% of the pre-approved credit offers you receive get their information from Experian.
What I do with the 8 or 10 pre-approved credit apps that I get every week is cut up old magazines (for weight) and mail them back with the offer sheet. I write "take my name off of your list" and send it. I figure that the 60 or so extra cents per time will eventually make them remove me. If this don't work soon, I'll get some 11x14 envelopes and tape theirs to it and mail them a phone book.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 PM   #8
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Most of these callers get your name from DMV records showing who owns what. In many states, your faithful politicians sell your info to anyone who cares to buy it.

Most of these warranty plans are phony and may very well fold before paying claims.

As Jack Benny once said and still applies to these phony warrantees, "My insurance broker's so good that I can only collect if I'm hit by a meteor shower during a Bar Mitzvah in Saudi Arabia".
Old 10-14-2002, 12:37 PM   #9
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Re: perhaps...

Quote:
Originally posted by piney
What I do with the 8 or 10 pre-approved credit apps that I get every week is cut up old magazines (for weight) and mail them back with the offer sheet. I write "take my name off of your list" and send it. I figure that the 60 or so extra cents per time will eventually make them remove me. If this don't work soon, I'll get some 11x14 envelopes and tape theirs to it and mail them a phone book.
Your counteraction approach is quite enlightening...... What if I just mailed them back an empty return-envelope, wonder if this will cost them something for nothing.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:45 PM   #10
RedRockerL300
RedRockerL300 is on a distinguished road

My wife and I got something from them not too long ago offering an extended warranty on our house. We conveniently ripped it up and threw it in the trash.

When telemarketers call us, they'll ask for me, and I'll just say he's not here. Same if they ask for my wife, even when she's sitting right next to me. I knew it's a telemarketer when they ask to speak with me or my wife and include our last name.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:51 PM   #11
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

My wife got a letter to extend the warranty on our Honda .. 1990 with 108,000 miles! Not sure if same company. I kind of laughed. My wife and I get 2 or 3 of the pre-approved credit card letters a day. I don't even open them. Just rip them up throw them out. If you get them from a bank you use or have an account or other finacial group you deal with (I have my car loan via chase and my wife who is the co-signer we get 4 a week from Chase to open a credit card account) and you don't want app's. they have to by law send you a note about provacy and sharing info with subsidaries. You can send a latter that they can't share the info. You must do for each company you deal with. I don't have the time but I just love ripping up those credit card offers. NY has a do not call #. You an 800 number from your phone and tele-marketers don't call. I rarely get a call. Just from realtors wanting to know if I want to sell my house and this Chimmy guy who calls and I tell him to go scratch.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:56 PM   #12
piney
Master Member

Default Re: Re: Re: perhaps...

Quote:
Originally posted by Qlara
Your counteraction approach is quite enlightening...... What if I just mailed them back an empty return-envelope, wonder if this will cost them something for nothing.
It'll still cost them standard postage. What I'm doing lets them know that I don't want their stuff, helps me get rid of old magazines, and, lastly, charges them for my time by way of the extra 50 cents or so postage.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:48 PM   #13
tbl01
tbl01 is on a distinguished road

Ny Web site: www.nynocall.com/index.html
Old 10-14-2002, 04:40 PM   #14
Vuesier
Vuesier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by BobL
Most of these warranty plans are phony and may very well fold before paying claims.

As Jack Benny once said and still applies to these phony warrantees, "My insurance broker's so good that I can only collect if I'm hit by a meteor shower during a Bar Mitzvah in Saudi Arabia".
Good observation. I bought an extended warranty for a motorcycle once from one of these outfits. When I finally had something I could claim, they were out of business.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:28 PM   #15
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread. Thanks, especially to Spork for the sit tone wav file!

The retailer that I bought my SW2 from used to sell aftermarket extended warranties. They had to stop because Saturn got the complaints when the owners could not collect.

Don't EVER agree to anything over the phone. Legit companies don't use those high pressure tactics.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:31 PM   #16
100KSW2
Master Member

One of the ways crooks steal your identity is to go through the trash and steal those pre-approved credit card applications. My wife and I shread them for safety. Somebody got a list of the employees and their addresses, DOB and SS numbers from where my wife works. Numerous folks she works with suffered identity theft and it took years to straighten out. To prevent this we contacted the 3 major credit bureaus and asked them to put a fraud alert in our credit files. This can prevent anyone using a fake ID card from walking into a department store and getting "instant credit" in YOUR name. (This is where you fill out an application on the spot and are handed a credit card.) A little TOO convenient for me!!!

The credit bureaus are:

Equifax 1-800525-6285
Experian (formerly TRW) 1-800-301-7195
Trans Union 1-800-680-7289

The US Social Security Administration also has a fraud line at
1-800-269-0271
Old 10-14-2002, 08:49 PM   #17
piney
Master Member

Default 1-888-5 OPT OUT

Learned of this yesterday and called in. When you call in, option 3 is the one that lets you opt out permanently. They kind of hook you into only doing it for two years, but be patient and hit 3 after the options start.

"Opt Out - Contact all 3 credit reporting agencies and request that they remove your name from all mailing lists. Call 1-888-5 OPT OUT."

http://www.creditcreep.com/optout.html
Old 10-14-2002, 08:54 PM   #18
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

If you live in colorado we have a No Call List located at http://www.coloradonocall.com
Old 10-14-2002, 08:55 PM   #19
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

One creep teller at my bank actually had the balls to steal a customer list before quitting.

Was so stupid she let her idiot hubby call the account holders trying to sell fraudulent business opportunities mentioning the bank's name.

I called the internal audit group at bank HQ, and she brought back her list to avoid a felony charge.

Can't trust anyone any more.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:56 PM   #20
100KSW2
Master Member

Piney

Thanks, that phone number is a recipe for quiet dinners ! :-)

Jim
Closed Thread