SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Front/rear bumper cover for 97SL ?

Hi all,

Just looking at bumper covers for my SL. All black with no undercoating and called my friendly Saturn dealership. Over $600! Found aftermarket on Fleabay for around $150 (delivered) but am leery of the quality. Anyone have any info on good/new bumper covers, possibly in the southern California area but not required? (Not looking for used, I have that and may end up going to Rock Auto) Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited by JerryHughes; 09-16-2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Additional info
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: Front/rear bumper cover for 97SL ?

Aftermarket fitment isnt all that great.

Why are you agianst used? I see black textured bumpers at the junkyard all the time that are in great shape.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Rockauto doesn't have 'em for 2nd gen. I've tried. Maybe they just suck and don't carry SCx bumper's... I dunno. I've seen all the bumpers for my '93 SL2 though, even though it doesn't need any
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Aftermarket fitment isnt all that great.

Why are you agianst used? I see black textured bumpers at the junkyard all the time that are in great shape.
I wrote Rock Auto, asking about their bumpers and was advised that their CAPA bumpers were the closest to OEM in fit and finish. Now, that implys to me that there is a problem with fit and finish with the less expensive or aftermarket bumpers. But I can't afford the dealer's price. My bumpers aren't all that bad and if it weren't for the shipping costs, I'd quickly risk the fit and finish problem, just to see if they look okay. Undecided what to do but the total for the Rock Auto bumpers would be about $260+. Not bad.

And I also see many used bumpers at the junkyard. All are faded out, like mine. Currently, I use Mother's "Back To Black" conditioner to bring them back to life and that really helps but it leaves an heavy oil on the bumpers. Every time I use my car cover, I transfer some of that oil to the paint and windshield of the car so having new bumpers that wouldn't do that would be nice, not to mention the better appearance. You must have seen many Saturns going down the road with sun-bleached gray bumpers? Nice bumpers would help a lot in the appearance and again, get rid of my "oil" problem.

Jerry
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Rockauto doesn't have 'em for 2nd gen. I've tried. Maybe they just suck and don't carry SCx bumper's... I dunno. I've seen all the bumpers for my '93 SL2 though, even though it doesn't need any
I just checked Rock Auto for 97 SC series and they do offer bumpers. Don't know if they are what you want but there are some listed. Try FleaBay!

Jerry
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
I wrote Rock Auto, asking about their bumpers and was advised that their CAPA bumpers were the closest to OEM in fit and finish. Now, that implys to me that there is a problem with fit and finish with the less expensive or aftermarket bumpers.
No no no, that just implys that their POS is better than other POS that don't fit. So this one will almost work perfect, but you'll still find that it doesn't line up right or that there is still another imperfection. Go to a JY like LowSaturn said, you can normally find one that is completely fine. Might even find one in your color.
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
No no no, that just implys that their POS is better than other POS that don't fit. So this one will almost work perfect, but you'll still find that it doesn't line up right or that there is still another imperfection. Go to a JY like LowSaturn said, you can normally find one that is completely fine. Might even find one in your color.
I can live with minor imperfections but if the bumper doesn't line up correctly or doesn't seat flush to the fender, etc., that I wouldn't want. Junk yard is still a no go because, again, I have one of those already. It's not that I couldn't find one that isn't all marked up at the junk yard---I'm more concerned about the black color "fade". (again, I need an unpainted, black) If it weren't for that then yes, I'd get one from my favorite junk yard. God knows I'm in there often enough. Thanks for your info.

Jerry
Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There are chemical rejuvenators that will bring back the nice black color. They do work.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There are chemical rejuvenators that will bring back the nice black color. They do work.
Do you have a brand name? I've searched and as mentioned, all I can find is Mother's "Back To Black" but that leaves an oil residue. Thanks,

Jerry
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

for some reason I find that pigs smile frustrating...
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
for some reason I find that pigs smile frustrating...
Well, take it from me---that pig's the best. Never let you down in a pinch and as faithful as can be. Don't let the smile throw you!

Jerry
Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

What about aftermarket fascia/bumper cover for the Gen 1 front end?

That one is a 2 piece right? I'm goning to need the top portion replaced.

I was leaning toward getting an aftermarket one just because I figured after being on one car for 14 years, a "donor car's" top portion might have taken a certain way to the bottom part it was fixed to just enough so it may not fit exactly to a different lower portion.

Do you think I might have more problems with an aftermarket one than a salvaged one?
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND_SC1 View Post
What about aftermarket fascia/bumper cover for the Gen 1 front end?
Gen 1 wouldn't come close to fitting. There's not a single exterior panel that's the same between Gen 1 and gen 2. Some gen 2 and gen 3 parts will interchange, bolt-up-wise, but won't match visually.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND_SC1 View Post
Do you think I might have more problems with an aftermarket one than a salvaged one?
Just my opinion but the problem could work both ways. If you buy a "new" upper bumper cover, possibly it wouldn't fit well on the old lower bumper cover you have on the car now. But since the old upper bumper cover has been "fixed" in place all these years, and supported by the lower bumper cover, hopefully the size hasn't changed all that much. And I don't think it has. I don't think there would be a really big problem with fit.

But when you think of buying one from the junk yard, at least that one should have "shrunk" or "stretched" over the years, possibly fitting your old lower bumper better. And unless you are replacing the entire bumper cover, I'd, personally, go with the junk yard bumper just because you should be able to pick one that would color match the lower cover that's currently on your car. Good luck.

Jerry
Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Gen 1 wouldn't come close to fitting. There's not a single exterior panel that's the same between Gen 1 and gen 2..
LOL I know. Sorry for not clarifying. In my case I was talking about swapping a Gen 1 with another Gen 1, only from a different car.
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote