SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Mac Guy
Mac Guy is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default Chiming and Clicking noise

My son's '93 SC2 always had an intermittent Chime when you took the key out. The previous owner thought it was the ignition switch and told us to just press it to stop it. Chiming has become more frequent and even happens when driving down the road. I watched Richpin's video on how to swap it and it seems simple enough. Am I replacing the correct part???

Second issue is there is a loud clicking/ticking noise coming from the console that I think is the cause of the battery draining itself overnight. My son says it has been doing thing for 2 weeks (why he didn't tell me this sooner I don't know.) When you use the switch to power a window open or close, it stops the noise but then comes right back. His solution was to slam the door shut a few times to stop the noise I would like to track the issue down and fix it properly.

We do have a '92 SC2 for parts, so if I need to swap something I can.

Dave
Mac Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Chiming and Clicking noise

Dave,

To answer your questions:

Quote:
My son's '93 SC2 always had an intermittent Chime when you took the key out. The previous owner thought it was the ignition switch and told us to just press it to stop it. Chiming has become more frequent and even happens when driving down the road. I watched Richpin's video on how to swap it and it seems simple enough. Am I replacing the correct part???
Is the Ignition module okay? Meaning does the key come out and go in proper, without any issues in starting the car? You may be able to simply just pull the chime fuse, or disconnect the lap belt connection that is underneath the Driver seat.

Quote:
Second issue is there is a loud clicking/ticking noise coming from the console that I think is the cause of the battery draining itself overnight. My son says it has been doing thing for 2 weeks (why he didn't tell me this sooner I don't know.) When you use the switch to power a window open or close, it stops the noise but then comes right back. His solution was to slam the door shut a few times to stop the noise I would like to track the issue down and fix it properly.
Is the ticking noise coming from the middle console where the parking brake is located? This is not the battery draining overnight, but rather the signs of the seatbelt motors going bad. Does the seatbelt on either side still retract completely when you start the car? There could also be an issue with the Power Window switch going bad. If you take the Power Window switch out and clean off the contacts, that should solve the ticking issue. My guess is that it is one of these two items that are starting to go bad. Not uncommon either as these cars get older.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Ignition module is on the tranny. Maybe you're thinking ignition switch?

My money's on the door switch. Imagine driving down the street and opening the door. The key is in, so the chime would ring just as it should. I'm thinking the door switch is shorting or closing even when the door is closed. The other clue is the clicking sound. That's the PREST (passive restraint) module kicking in, once again, probably in response to a flaky door switch. The door-slam fix is yet another indicator of this.

First thing to try is to remove the switch. I don't remember, but if the wire terminals aren't insulated, tape them over. You'll have no chime, and PREST module will think the door is always closed, so you'll have to use the manual release for the shoulder harness. But if this makes the intermittent chime and intermittent PREST noise go away, and the battery no longer dies, suspect that switch.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
HaroldJohnson
HaroldJohnson is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
You may be able to simply just pull the chime fuse, or disconnect the lap belt connection that is underneath the Driver seat.
No offense, but that's just a temporary fix. Sounds like Dave wants to fix the problem permanently.
HaroldJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldJohnson View Post
No offense, but that's just a temporary fix. Sounds like Dave wants to fix the problem permanently.
No harm taken. I had the same issue with my 94 SL2 chiming away. I undid the connection underneath the Driver's Seat, although I haven't pulled the Fuse Chime yet.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Pull the CHIME fuse, and you lose, at least, your rear window defogger. I think you also lose your radio memory.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
HaroldJohnson
HaroldJohnson is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
No harm taken. I had the same issue with my 94 SL2 chiming away. I undid the connection underneath the Driver's Seat, although I haven't pulled the Fuse Chime yet.
Sometimes you have to make do with the temporary fix. Particularly if you're strapped for cash. I've got so many fuses out right now it's getting to be ridiculous...
HaroldJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote