SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech

Old 05-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
seadub2
seadub2 is on a distinguished road

Default Service Anti Theft system

Got this indication on the DIC of my 2005 Relay, accompanied by the steady red light on the speedo:

"Service Anti Theft System"

The system still sets with the key fob, the horn chirps and the resident red LEDs on the dash and radio blink.

All else is normal.

Has anyone had this, and if so, what was the cause and fix?

Thanx...

C.W.
seadub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Service Anti Theft system

Have you tried referring to your owner's manual for information? There may be a little more info in your manual before troubleshooting the problem. Some of the problems may be; BCM related like the Passlock sensor in the ignition switch, the BCM, possible re-synching needed between the keyfobs and the BCM, etc..
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

try using a different key. maybe something goofy with the key immobilizor
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
seadub2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Have you tried referring to your owner's manual for information? There may be a little more info in your manual before troubleshooting the problem. Some of the problems may be; BCM related like the Passlock sensor in the ignition switch, the BCM, possible re-synching needed between the keyfobs and the BCM, etc..
I checked the manual; nothing except very generic info. No fuse labled security system or anything like it.

Question - What's a BCM?

C.W.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some of our more sophisticated models like yours, mine, Ions, Vues, have more than one computer that isn't managing the engine. The body control module (BCM) is one of them that handles cruise control, coordinates the diagnostic troubles among the computers, Passlock vehicle anti-theft system, headlights, brake lights, DRL's, instrument lighting, etc.. The anti-theft system is part of the BCM and remote key functions/synching.
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
seadub2

Thanks for that....BTW my wife's key provides the same message.

I did some research and it appears the GM BCM contains a battery backup to hold the passkey and fob data in the event the main vehicle battery poops out; something like the lithium battery on a motherboard that retains the user settings in the CMOS. This makes sense given that the system still appears to work normally, i.e., the little LED on the dash flashes and the one on the radio also flashes once the system is armed, and the horn toots as it should. This is the case whether arming the system by the fob or by pre-locking with the power door lock button upon exiting the vehicle.

Does this sound plausible? If so, where is the BCM located, and what exactly am I looking at as far as modules, dashboard, etc. necessary to remove to replace the battery?

Thanks again for your help and input.

C.W.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
seadub2

Problem found - the code, "Transponder Modulation - No Modulation" was caused by a passive door security fob on our key chains used to open the door at our kid's day care. Apparently when the ignition key reader sent its request to the PassKey, the door fob also responded, confusing the BCM and setting the code.

We moved the door fobs to the other end of our key chains. Code disappeared, problem solved.

C.W.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i have actually heard where you need to be careful what is on your keychain. even with more than one key so close to the transponder reader the car can pick up 2 dsifferent signals when it decides if it wants the car to start.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Evan
Evan is on a distinguished road

My mother's Relay flashed the same message today about the theft system needing serviced. She did have the access key for her gym on it so I removed it and the message still remains with both keys. Are there any other possibilities or should I wait a little while longer to see if it clears itself? All the functions are still working fine.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

id at least try a different key, maybe it doesnt like that immobilizer key.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Evan
Evan is on a distinguished road

Well I went back out later and the message was cleared and no light came on so maybe it was the key card.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
jbracefan1977
jbracefan1977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Well I went back out later and the message was cleared and no light came on so maybe it was the key card.
Ive been trying to figure out this problem. thanks for post.
jbracefan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote