SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
98dingo
98dingo is on a distinguished road

Default Irratic temp guage problem & CC problem

My wife drives a 96 Saturn SL2 and just recently started having a few problems with it...
1.) The temp gauge will start reading fine, then suddenly it will drop below the "C" bounce up and down between there and normal operating temp. It will do this for about 30-60 seconds and then will go back to normal. When this happens it effects the engine RPMS and the SES light come on. I got the codes read and it comes back with codes for the O2 sensor and one for a tranny temp sensor reading outside of spec. Nothing related to the temp guage problem. Anyone have any ideas about this one?

2.) Her cruise control only works intermitently. When it doesn't work you can feel it "sucking the pedal down" like it wants to activate then it release. It keeps trying to do this a few times. Other times it will work then it will randomly just release the pedal.
Please help my wife drives 30+ miles one way to work everyday and she complains about it everyday Thanks in Advance!
98dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
strongboy2005
strongboy2005 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Irratic temp guage problem & CC problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98dingo View Post
My wife drives a 96 Saturn SL2 and just recently started having a few problems with it...
1.) The temp gauge will start reading fine, then suddenly it will drop below the "C" bounce up and down between there and normal operating temp. It will do this for about 30-60 seconds and then will go back to normal. When this happens it effects the engine RPMS and the SES light come on. I got the codes read and it comes back with codes for the O2 sensor and one for a tranny temp sensor reading outside of spec. Nothing related to the temp guage problem. Anyone have any ideas about this one?
Has the coolant temperature sensor been replaced? If not this could be causing your problems, look in the "how-to" section and it is stickied right on top (labeled "ECTS" for Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor)
strongboy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
p-ROCK
p-ROCK is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I know this does not help you at all my man, but has this ECTS issue ever actually been official with GM & Saturn or what? Seems like this thing breaks for ALOT of people.
p-ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

luckily if you have to replace the 02 sensor and ECTS (which is probably causing your Tranny Fluid Temp Sensor code....it's on the same circuit for the pcm I believe) they are fairly easy to replace, You'd be well served to buy the electrical connector and wiring for the ECTS(from a Saturn Dealer) at the same time as more often than not it will be corroded. I replaced my 02 sensor with the Bosch universal one(you have to splice the wire into the existing connector) and haven't had any trouble with it and saving 40bucks didn't hurt my feelings either.
The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Look into repairing the ECTS issue first. Once the PCM gets consistent input it will allow the car to operate in closed loop.

Check the transmission temperature sensor connector right next to the transmission fluid filter. It may have just come loose. It will set a code if not operating properly. That sensor and connector is the same as for the ECTS.

Don't believe the cruise control will operate in open loop. Correct the above and the cruise may operate consistently.
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

As said above, replace the ECTS (a modest cost part), and then see wjhow it behaves. Replace the connector if it is corroded. Lots of details on the Hiow-to Library forum. That often corrects many issues. A bad ECTS can eventually induce O2 sensor issues, but if you have the time, do the ECTS first and see if that clears other issues.

Also, once the ECTS is behaving, see if the car operates at normal temperatures (about 3/8 to 1/2 scale on the open road).

Quote:
... but has this ECTS issue ever actually been official with GM & Saturn or what? Seems like this thing breaks for ALOT of people.
The ECTS failure appears to be some thing that tends to happen after around 8-10 or so years, does not happen to everyone, at least not yet, just to a lot of people. The part "wears out." The problem was addressed by a part design change back about 7 years ago after it was detected.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
stang50
stang50 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

I bet it also floods and is hard to crank sometimes when hot also, huh? Probably the ects or the connector.
stang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
98dingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang50 View Post
I bet it also floods and is hard to crank sometimes when hot also, huh? Probably the ects or the connector.
It never starts hard. It fires right up. hot or cold.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
98dingo

Read all the how tos, I called the dealer ship and the price for the ECTS there is $19.63. Not a big expense, but is there any reason not to buy the one from Autozone for $11.99? Either way I hope this fixes the old ladies car otherwise she will be naggin' till we get a new one. LOL!
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
2013 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6L
1997 Saturn Sc1 1.9L

Former-1996 Saturn SL2
Old 06-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
stang50
stang50 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

I think the cheap one is 8.99 and the msd is 10.99, but you have to wait 3-5 days special order on the msd. I was thinking about getting the msd or a factory saturn sensor. One forum I read had that a aftermarket one wasn't recommended. Read my forum on speedo/odometer hesitation before you buy. The sensor I bought might have been a 1 in a million.
stang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:20 AM   #11
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

There have been a lot more problems reported with aftermarket temp sensors than OEM. That's not to say that they're all bad though.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #12
98dingo

Ok, update. I replaced the ECTS (saturn brand) a few weeks ago and car ran amazing. I also changed the tranny fluid and did and MMO soak. Anyways, The other day the wife calls and says the car is acting up again. So, when she gets home. I look and see the temp guage below the "C" evene after she just got home from a 40 mile trip. So i wiggle and adjust the connector on the ECTS and the guage shoots up to the half mark. I leave it. I got to start the car in the A.M. And it is still on the half mark, So i am thinking the connector is bad seeings as there is a little corrosion in it. So I go to pull it off and and the wires fall out. Ok no big deal it needed to be replaced. SO I leave it disconnected and start the car and the guage still reads at half. Shouldn't the guage read at zero seeings as there is currently no signal from ECTS? Thats my big concern that even after I change the connector tommorow that I will have to hunt down another problem as to why the guage stays at half.
The fans come on as well so the computer is telling the car its getting hot so I think that eliminates a faulty gauge. Some one tell me all will be ok change the connector and all will be well !
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
1997 Saturn Sc1 1.9L

Former-1996 Saturn SL2
Old 07-19-2007, 01:55 AM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Yup, the gauge will "peg" to the center position when the PCM can't get a reading from the sensor. A new connector will put your entire universe in order.

What ever happened with the cruise control?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #14
98dingo

It seems if I wiggle the wires on the CC module it wil work for a little bit. I am thinking it must be a dirty connnections or something. I haven't been brave enough to remove the computer and check yet. I don't want to brake the plastic thing connecting it to the pedal.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
1997 Saturn Sc1 1.9L

Former-1996 Saturn SL2
Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
sdasilva
sdasilva is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if this matters or not but my 93 SC2 had an irratic temp gauge. At about 145k miles, it started this fluttering thing. It did it randomly, there was no pattern to it whatsoever, the needle would flutter around for awhile and then stop. It would flutter for minutes, days or weeks then stop for any amount of time. We had everything checked and nothing at all was wrong. I had 3 mechanics tell me I didn't need the gauge replaced. I was going to replace it anyways but ended up trading the car in.
sdasilva is offline   Reply With Quote