SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
mudnsoccerguy
mudnsoccerguy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Awful vibration at idle

I have a 96 SL2 with 100,000 miles that I bought used almost a year ago. The car had been running great, even drove it from FL for vacation this past winter. The only problem I have had with the car is the valve cover gasket is obviously begining to go as the spark plug well on the first cylinder is taking on oil. Very recently however, the car has started to horribly shake at idle, especially after start up. Also when taking right hand turns the car shakes worse and almost feels like the tire is loose. At first I thought the vibrations at idle were due to low oil, but the oil is fine and the vibrations have been getting worse. I'm still able to drive the car and the symptoms actually disappear after the car has warmed up. Where should I start at looking to fix this, ECTS, Wheel Bearings, maybe my spark plug spark interupting from oil corrupting the boot, etc??? I really need to keep this car for awhile so I'd like to get on top of this and get her back to running normally. Thanks as always this forum is incredible with the help and advice everyone gives.
1996 Saturn SL2 90k miles, 3rd owner
mudnsoccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Awful vibration at idle

Upper engine mount is likely collapsed. A search of the board for upper engine mount or torque axis mount or TAM should get you a lot of info. My gallery has some diagrams for measuring the mount for collapse but basicly f you can get a fat finger between the rubber of the mount and the upper metal then it is shot.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
PACT Man
PACT Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

I got beat to it...

Same answer from me, the same thing happened to me and i thought my exhaust had come off of a hanger and would hit the underside when turning and make the vibration but it wasn't. I basically had no rubber left on mine though and the little that was there had no connection between the 2 components.
I want to go fast!!!
PACT Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
mudnsoccerguy
mudnsoccerguy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Thanks alot for the quick responses. My first inclination was an engine mount, after reading this I checked it and it looks pretty disinegrated (i'll take some photos tommorrow evening and post them up for some conformation). Looks like I'll order the mount and a new valve cover gasket in the next few days so I can make some much needed repairs.
1996 Saturn SL2 90k miles, 3rd owner
mudnsoccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
944obscene
944obscene is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

I had the SAME problem. Bad vibration at idle and when taking certain turns. Like they said though. As soon as I got the new mount in, the problem dissapeared. This is a good time to invest in polyurethane if you like performance... unless that only goes well with suspension parts for us. I would have done it, but I originaly started out rebuilding my car with OEM parts.
944obscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Norseman
Norseman is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I replaced the top engine mount yesterday. Easy job. It's amazing how smooth the car is now at idle and when it's cold. Before the replacement, my dashboard was rattling like crazy...now it's very quiet.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote