SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #21
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

They must have filled yours up some like they did mine because that sounds higher than mine. Here's how I check mine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I turn the wheel all the way to the right and then to the left a few times and then I take the dipstick out and look at the hot or cold line (depending on when I check it) and it never changes.
Andy
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #22
JoshuaTree
JoshuaTree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by mastertech
if the dealer your going to refuses to do repair i'd suggest going to another dealer. any saturn tech that hears that noise will deffinitley find the source. if they didn't then your dealing with the wrong shop.
all techs will tell you that they'de love to do that rack job. so i'm sure they wouldn't hesitate on calling the rack .go somwhere else.
you probably got some lazy tech or a manager that thinks he's the ruler(king)
come to are shop we'll fix it.(canada)long trip. maybe not eh!
I don't know where you work, but techs around here wouldn't love to do the rack. Especially if its under warranty. Just call it the rack. That's not proper diag. If the service dept. Says "Its working as designed" or "characteristic of vehicle" Then either live with it or sell it.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:58 AM   #23
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There is a big difference between a tech SAYING "It's working as designed" or "characteristic of vehicle" and that being correct. Just because they may say that, it doesn't make it true. If it is true that this is working as designed, then fine but from what I'm reading, too many guys have had this corrected for it to be a normal trait that doesn't call for a fix.
Andy
Old 03-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #24
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

If its working as designed, why are they able to temporarly fix it for a day or two & then the problem comes back? If I told all my clients its working as designed I wouldn't last to long.
- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin
Old 03-22-2004, 09:50 AM   #25
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

What they mean is "it's designed like junk, so when it's working like junk, it's working as designed".

GM logic, don't you follow it?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #26
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

LOL! Those very thoughts crossed my mind several times. I wanted to wait to see how long it would take for someone to post it. I knew someone would.

Andy
Old 03-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #27
JoshuaTree
JoshuaTree is on a distinguished road

Default Why Do you own a Saturn...

Why Do you own a Saturn if you think it's junk?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:46 PM   #28
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I never really said the car is junk. I think what Bob and are were being, is sarcastic regarding the findings of the techs. It is possible that the rack and gear may be junk though. I DEFINITELY think the way Saturn is treating this situation is junky! I'm pretty sure that they know there is a problem with this system and they are reluctant to address it for some reason. Maybe they don't know how to or are unable to which would be sad.
Andy
Old 03-24-2004, 10:50 PM   #29
xFan
xFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What they mean is "it's designed like junk, so when it's working like junk, it's working as designed".

GM logic, don't you follow it?
And the truth...shall set you free! That's what we lost when the S-Series was discontinued...not the S-Series, but cars that weren't just GM's products wearing a Saturn badge, which is all that's left.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:18 AM   #30
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

There have been quite a few posts regarding rack failures. My 2000 LS was just starting to whistle on left turns when it was traded at 21K miles.

Son's 2000 SL1 had two racks replaced on warranty for noise.

Could this indicate that the rack supplier is producing a "junk" product?
Old 03-25-2004, 10:14 AM   #31
R4V3N SP33D
R4V3N SP33D is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1997 SW2

I am definitely going to attest to the "junk" factor. My '93 seemed to be bullet proof for as long as I drove it. As soon as I leased the '99 I had minor problems but liveable ones. Now with my 2002 I am already plotting what to do next. Don't get me wrong, I love the Saturn product and the Saturn tradition but I am afraid the Saturn I love is the Saturn of old and the new Saturn brought into the GM flock is turning for the worse. I have always been a big GM fan (being raised in Flint and Detroit can do that to you! ) and it is a let down that this different kind of company isn't so different any more
ud503j's fangirl :)
Old 03-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #32
trustman
trustman is on a distinguished road

Default Jaseball and R4V3N SP33D

It's not the dealer. I took my car to three different dealers hoping that one of them would fix the problems.

My car had 3,000 miles on it when the brakes started grinding. The rotors were found to be defective and were replaced. The problem still happened. I was also told that it was normal and that the noise would go away.

I could go on and on, but when it's not worth the upset for you to deal with anymore, you'll do something. I'd sue GM and get them to buy back the car. Anything that affects the safety, value and operation of your car constitutes a Lemon according to California law. I'd go for it if I were you.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 AM   #33
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Trusman, I got to that point where I was sick and tired of dealing with it (and Saturn). I didn't want it to consume me and I felt like running from dealer to dealer (every trip a day off of work) would have done that. So, now it's out of warranty and I DO NOT trust Saturn to still fix it (like they claim) if it goes bad. If they really meant that, they would have backed it up with an extension on the warranty. Oh well, dead issue now I guess.

Andy
Old 04-06-2004, 12:06 PM   #34
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

They told me so many stories when I had the noise. They didn't hear it, air bag coil, new hoses and then was told they all do it and it's normal (Even a tech from Spring Hill came out). I read in this forum that the rack was the problem. went to another dealer and spoke to the service manager. Told him the story and that I would like a new rack. The tech drove with me heard it. They tried the air bag coil without luck. They ordered and changed the rack and it has been fine since (The new rack was installed at about 22,000 miles and I have 62,000 + now and no noise). I can't believe if you have a TSB and it describes the noise they won't do it. Even if you are out of warranty I would complain to the CAC and tell them that this problem existed (You have proof) before the warranty expired. Write and call. You may want to call youstate consumer affairs department . Sometimes you can fill the form out on a web site. The New York State consumer affairs dept will at least write to them and has helped me in non-car cases
Old 04-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #35
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

<I can't believe if you have a TSB and it describes the noise they won't do it>

Me neither. I thought when I emailed the NHTSA site and the TSB number that they would have taken care of things. It didn't even sound like they new there was a TSB. Maybe I called the wrong number or something. :]

Andy
Old 04-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #36
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by AJR
<I can't believe if you have a TSB and it describes the noise they won't do it>

Me neither. I thought when I emailed the NHTSA site and the TSB number that they would have taken care of things. It didn't even sound like they new there was a TSB. Maybe I called the wrong number or something. :]

Andy
The dealer told me that too. I almost gave up and then got mad and going again. It was under warranty though but I would still pursue it like I said.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #37
silverblueL200
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJR
Trusman, I got to that point where I was sick and tired of dealing with it (and Saturn). I didn't want it to consume me and I felt like running from dealer to dealer (every trip a day off of work) would have done that. So, now it's out of warranty and I DO NOT trust Saturn to still fix it (like they claim) if it goes bad. If they really meant that, they would have backed it up with an extension on the warranty. Oh well, dead issue now I guess.

Andy
I'm in the exact same boat now, I wasted a crapload of pto time to try and get it fixed, I'm now @ 39K. They claim they will cover it past warranty since it shows a history of attempted repair, but at this point I find it difficult to give a crap, I'll just keep adding to the down payment fund for something new.
- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin
Old 04-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #38
dmccreary860
Advanced Member
dmccreary860 is on a distinguished road

Mine whistles too when turning left and has ever since I bought the car new. I'm at about 26k miles now.

The rack is not leaking fluid, and there is no problem with the power assist.

I personally don't care if it whistles or not. The technicians at my local retailer just went ahead this afternoon and flushed the system for me as a courtesy hile I was there, but they have not had any other people in for whistling or defective racks.

I'm not going to have Saturn replace my rack if it just whistles slightly when turning left. This is a waste of resources, no matter who foots the bill. So far, nobody here on this board can give an explanation on why a whistling rack is defective - most people here immediately think "Gotta replace the rack because it whistles."

Now, if this were a safety concern like flickering headlights or something like that, it would be different.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #39
silverblueL200
Advanced Member

I'm starting to wish I had never brought it up with the dealership, before I brought it in, there was only a faint whistle when turning left. Now it whistles without turning, and gets louder as your turn - left or right. I would really like to know what causes this, but it seems like nobody really knows, they just throw parts at it until it stops.
- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Old 04-08-2004, 02:59 PM   #40
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

RicksLS1 and SilverblueL200, I keep going back and forth regarding what you both say. On one hand, I think I have to get mad and take to another dealer and fight until they fix it but then I get a gut feeling that I should let it go so it doesn't get worse every time they throw another part at it. My gut feeling never fails me so that is the way I'm leaning.

We were looking at the Vue but now after this and the VERY similar sounding experience for Hoppy on the dimming headlights thread, I'm thinking maybe I should look at a different product.

dmccreary860, if it was just the whistling, no big deal but from all I have read, the whistling is just a sign of a future leak and/or future handling problems. A former Saturn tech said that the system is searching for fluid when it is whistling. I can't tell what that means though it doesn't sound like it should do that.

Andy
Closed Thread