SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance

Old 03-19-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line
Default OEM Leather S-series Manual knob....

Guys,
Am getting ready to chop the shifter in my '01 SC2. Did the yank real hard method...I mean I yanked seriously hard afraid of f-ing up the shifter assy...I'm 6'1" and 190 and not weak...but couldn't pull the *******g plastic knob off. So...gonna cut it off which is no big deal. Question...might as well upgrade to the Saturn Leather OEM replacement knob so called my local dealer who is generally pretty good about pricing. Well...77 bones for a leather shift knob...wowzer...thought maybe 50...but not 77. Anybody have a contact on-line where I can order the OEM Saturn leather knob for less? Don't really want an aftermarket knob...would prefer the Saturn OE leather knob after I get done cutting the shifter down.
Thanks,
George
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Revwillie
Revwillie is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

those leather oem knobs are nice. I would prefer one myself, but they would need the same notches and flat side on the stick that you will be cutting off. IMO, that's a huge pain.

I can attest to the fact that it's easier to hack off the stick when the stock knob is on because you get a nice firm grip to hold 'er steady while the hacksaw is cutting.

SPS sells the oem leather knob, but I think it costs even more than 77 bucks there. The momo anatomical is about the same shape for 42 bucks and it's universal fitment means you don't have to file down the cut end of the stick.

Now, you could use the rubber mallet method to put an oem knob on without filing the stick, but that would be pretty hard on a leather knob.
93 SC2 140,000mi
Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Thanks for your comments Revwillie...
Hard to gauge where to hack the shaft with the old knob on in terms of how deep the shaft is set in the plastic knob so will likely use a dremmel cutting wheel to slit it and pull it off first. Gonna remove the shaft and console and probably do a little surgery on the boot as well. Don't see it to be much of a problem to recreate the flat spot on the shaft after cutting it down for positive location of the new knob/recreate the D. Simply mic the original D...how deep the flat is and using a dremmel with grinding wheel...recreate the flat.
The issue is rotation...why I want to put the D back into the shaft
and go with the OEM knob....believe it stays in place better than an aftermarket knob that may be prone to rotate with a set screw retention/without the D...particularly if it is an anatomical/asymmetric knob..don't want it to rotate so the D negates this the best.
Anybody know of another lower price source for the OEM leather knob besides my local dealer?
Thanks,
George
Old 03-19-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

You might be in luck as SLeeper was recently trying to let one go. Maybe he still has it? I would have taken it off his hands in a second, but I'd need to remachine my shifter.
2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)
Old 03-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

too late Applefool....the leather OE knob is real nice so perhaps someone else will snag SLeeper's. Checked out the leads above...thanks guys...and found the leather OE knob for 5 bucks cheaper at SPS. While at it, I had a weak moment and decided to support our friends at SPS and get a fresh SPS short shifter with revised pivot point...even though there is some controversy as to whether the fulcrum point is changed...I tend to believe their claim that it is. Will take some pics and let you know how it feels.
Should be a nice set up when I get it installed.
George
Old 03-19-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
Revwillie

1993 SC2

yeah, if you are cool spending the money on the short shifter, you'll have no problem putting an oem knob on it.

Can't wait for the pics!
93 SC2 140,000mi
Old 03-19-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

We got the short shifter for his in late 99 early 2000. It is possible that they have changed the design since then. I'm anxious to find out.
2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)
Old 03-20-2004, 01:04 PM   #8
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

sps has the oem leather knob for $72.80 and yes it will only fit on the lever that is D shaped on top like stock.

Saturn Leather Shift Knobs

These are the same beefy leather shift knobs that come standard on leather-equipped Saturns from the factory. Perfect for lightweight performance, improved grip, and a factory look. The improvement in grip and feel of each and every shift is dramatic!

Saturn Leather Shift Knob for manual transmission 91-02 S Series
Part Number: KNOB001 ... $72.80

now that is something you could possibly swipe from a junkyard saturn for less money. yank harder.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Old 03-20-2004, 07:20 PM   #9
jegster
jegster is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I just picked me one up for free earlier today. A friend was getting rid of it so I took it.

Just thought I would rub it in a little.
Jeff
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jegstersl2
Old 03-20-2004, 08:59 PM   #10
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

yeah, but look close...the stiching is coming loose and rumor has it your buddy was doing the nasty with it and his g/f.
But it should be OK for an old knob.
:-)
George
Old 03-20-2004, 10:03 PM   #11
JoshuaTree
JoshuaTree is on a distinguished road

A chopped shifter is not the same as a short shifter. I hope you know that you are only making the shifter shorter not the distance from gear to gear.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:29 PM   #12
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

who are you talking to? That is not so. Chopping the shifter does shorten the throw FYI "how far your hand travels relative to a given pivot point"....its simple trig. Why everybody who chops their shifter reports shorter shifts. If you revise the pivot point increasing the distance from cable attachment to the fulcrum point you also shorten the throw....which is the converse of chopping the handle achieving the same end. In the case of the SPS short shifter they do both for the shortest throw possible.
George
Old 03-20-2004, 10:56 PM   #13
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

Lever law.....you hold the stick further down and move it so that the end moves the same amount, but the force required to do so increases.

It shortened my throw considerably, I don't care if it's "not a true short throw", I don't care. It works.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #14
Revwillie

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by jeep4523

It shortened my throw considerably, I don't care if it's "not a true short throw", I don't care. It works.
Is "throw" supposed to be a linear distance or an angular distance? Chopping does reduce the linear distance your hand has to travel when shifting. The angular distance (degrees) stays the same as long as the shift cables and the pivot point stay the same disance from each other.
93 SC2 140,000mi
Old 03-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #15
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

depends on your definition of throw. One could make the argument that throw includes angle and shaft length to make up
the linear distance your hand has to travel as you say. If you reduce either angle or shaft length, you shorten the throw. Some do equate it to angle though.
George