SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
DJCharlie
DJCharlie is a jewel in the roughDJCharlie is a jewel in the roughDJCharlie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2
Default HELP! Can't get strut back on car!

I'm removing and replacing my struts and springs on both of my 96 SC2's with the kyb gr-2 struts and H&R Sport lowering springs. Everything was going fine I started with the rear and removed both struts and disassembled them and put all the parts from the old one on to the new strut. I put one of the rear struts in and got everything to attached fine.
The second rear strut however won't reattach to the knuckle where the 2 lower bolts go in. I'll post pictures at the bottom. It's like the strut is crooked when I try to attach it.

I even tried the old strut and it's doing the same thing and this is happening to both of my sc2's not just one of them. What do I do?
20190927_131758_resize_69_compress25.jpg

20190927_124954_resize_93_compress71.jpg

20190927_131836_resize_45_compress92.jpg
DJCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
Default Re: HELP! Can't get strut back on car!

Just push down on the spindle and a little forward. It's probably the sway bar that is holding it up if you have already assembled the other side.

Highmile
'95 SL1 693k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
DJCharlie
DJCharlie is a jewel in the roughDJCharlie is a jewel in the roughDJCharlie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Okay I'll try pushing down and forward again but I've tried this before and it just wouldn't line up I don't know why.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

I've had to wedge something into one of the holes and push it down to line up one of the bolts, then align the second. The rears are kind of a headache to line up sometimes.
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
DJCharlie

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

I appreciate the help guys it's actually my birthday today and I was gonna lower my car as a gift to myself.
To clarify the struts look like the knuckle would slide in fine if the wheel assembly was forward a little bit but it doesn't line up and turning the strut makes it tilted so it won't slide in. Here's a picture
20190927_151032_resize_11_compress77.jpg
Old 09-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

If you have only one side of the car raised, you will be able to attach one strut, but maybe not the other because of the sway bar doing its job. So if you have only one side raised, raise both sides and try again.
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
DJCharlie

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
If you have only one side of the car raised, you will be able to attach one strut, but maybe not the other because of the sway bar doing its job. So if you have only one side raised, raise both sides and try again.
That was a good suggestion. I just tried raising the other side to different levels and have the same problem
Old 09-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCharlie View Post
That was a good suggestion. I just tried raising the other side to different levels and have the same problem
Both sides should be the same height.
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
DJCharlie

1996 SC2
1996 SC2
Sad Re: HELP! Can't get strut back on car!

So what should I do if I can't get the strut bolted back on the knuckle?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

Just did this last night. Not lowering the car as a birthday gift - but broke a strut mount AGAIN because potholes suck. I've had it lowered for about 6 years now and I keep going through strut mounts every few years.

My solution: Unbolt the strut mount from the car. Line up the strut in the knuckle holes good enough that you can get the bolts through it. It will probably require moving the strut all around in the wheel well to get it where you need it to go. Next - get two pry bars and a jack ready. Put the jack underneath the knuckle and get it snugged under the knuckle but don't raise it too far just yet. Use the pry bars to push the strut to where the bolt holes are lined up for the mount in the car (look through the rear windshield to see). Once you get it lined up, jack up the strut until the bolts slide from the mount slide into the holes in the frame. Now you can attach the sway bar linkages and get everything all bolted up the way you want. Hope it works out for you. I struggled with it for an hour before I got it to work. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the strut in the knuckle when I started with it bolted at the top.
1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #11
DJCharlie

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub View Post
Hope it works out for you. I struggled with it for an hour before I got it to work. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the strut in the knuckle when I started with it bolted at the top.
That's a good idea I'll try this tomorrow. Where would you place the pry bar on the strut to push it. Also when would I bolt it to the knuckle I'm guessing before using the pry bars
Edit: I just read it again and you say bolt everything up at the end I'm not sure how you keep the strut in place while you do this whole thing but I'll try it
Old 09-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You have to man handle it, not expect it to simply fall together. Not sure why.

Get the bottom wedged in, wiggle the joint around to get the top to swing in. Get the bottom bolt to slide into place as soon as you can; even if the bolt doesn't go through to the other tab on the strut even 1/2 in helps. May have to use a hammer to tap it into the strut and a prybar to pull it out to line up the bolt holes.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #13
DJCharlie

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Ok good news is that I got it in. Bad news is that I forgot to bolt the sway bar bracket back to the knuckle. How important is that bracket? Can I leave it unattached.

BTW for anyone wondering how I did it I kept the bolts on top in and put the strut lined up with the knuckle and used ALL of my strength in my legs to push the rear wheel assembly+knuckle into the strut and then it got jammed in. Then while pushing I got the bolts in.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Pretty sure if you can't pop the nuts off, toss the bracket on and re-assemble you didn't do it right in the first place.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #15
DJCharlie

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Pretty sure if you can't pop the nuts off, toss the bracket on and re-assemble you didn't do it right in the first place.
On the one side that went in perfectly without a hassle i had to cut a small piece of the KYB strut off with my dremel to get the bracket to lay flush with the strut and bolt it all in. I'd have to do the same thing with this side too but I cant find my dremel charger and the battery is dead lol. Very complicated situation ive got myself in. (whenever i find the charger ill put the bracket back on)

Last edited by DJCharlie; 09-28-2019 at 08:27 PM.