SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #21
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Starter Motor Brands and New vs Reman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
Does anyone have experience with reman starters from Valeo or AC Delco?
Mine was a reman A/C Delco pro. Been working great for 3.5 years. The new Duralast I tried first only lasted a few days.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #22
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Hey, the DB Electrical Starter has 77% 5 stars and another 13% 4 stars on Amazon. That's not too bad for a $50 starter and 150 reviews.

If you want to blow more $$$ on a rebuilt unit from a parts rebadger like AC Delco, go right ahead. They're $99 on RockAuto vs. $109 on the new!!!

I do see on Rock Auto that the new Bosch starter is $139 and their rebuilt one is $119. In other vehicles I had very good luck with Bosch starters. At least they have a QC dept, not just some faceless dweeb in Purchasing.....
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I will steal this quote from another site where I spend time.

"Sigh... I should have remembered the first rule of bulletin boards: never give advice to anyone who already knows what they want to do."

Some people have to put their hand on the hot stove some take the advice.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:49 AM   #24
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
Hey, the DB Electrical Starter has 77% 5 stars and another 13% 4 stars on Amazon. That's not too bad for a $50 starter and 150 reviews.

If you want to blow more $$$ on a rebuilt unit from a parts rebadger like AC Delco, go right ahead. They're $99 on RockAuto vs. $109 on the new!!!

I do see on Rock Auto that the new Bosch starter is $139 and their rebuilt one is $119. In other vehicles I had very good luck with Bosch starters. At least they have a QC dept, not just some faceless dweeb in Purchasing.....
A lot of those reviews are from people who gave it a lot of stars because they were able to put it in and it worked for a little while. The real test is does it last for thousands of turnovers. My guess is that the dbelectrical part will not last a long time. Whereas I expect the AC Delco, Valeo, or Bosch units to last a very long time. That being said I ordered the db part. If it gets me through my current financial crunch, I'm good.
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:21 AM   #25
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
A lot of those reviews are from people who gave it a lot of stars because they were able to put it in and it worked for a little while.
Balanced by the people that had a shipping issue
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #26
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I have a 97 SL.

Original owner. 197,000 miles.

Just replaced the original starter with dbelectrical one last year(?). Mostly because the new one was relatively affordable. Also it's another pre-emptive repair. Yes I didn't notice that the original one was spinning so much slower!

When I start the car, yes I "prime" the fuel pump before cranking.

Also this is a west coast or southern car, so it never cranked too long before it kicked.

I also put a dbelectrical starter in my Suzuki Burgman 400 too, with good results.

(the Saturn starter was about 3x as big as the Suzuki one, and cost about half as much )
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #27
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

I have received the db starter.

It's a Chinese import. And came with a test data sheet.

It is branded "J&N"
This is J&N's web page

The test data sheet is branded "DV Electronics LTD". They are a test equipment manufacturer in (905 area code) southern Ontario, Canada. My guess is that they sold the test equipment to J&N who ran the tests.

This is the DV Electronics web page

I'm sure this is the exact same starter as sold by the other generic names. It's an open question as to whether those other generics get a unit that has been tested in North America.

I took detailed photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3419.jpg (98.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3422.JPG (157.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3424.JPG (131.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3426.JPG (182.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3427.jpg (87.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3430.jpg (158.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3432.jpg (86.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3433.jpg (79.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3434.JPG (158.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3435.jpg (86.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #28
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Here are some more pics of the db starter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3436.jpg (92.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3437.jpg (97.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg resized-IMG_3438.jpg (87.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #29
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Everyone I have ever purchased from DB Electric comes with the test sheet.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #30
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is a jewel in the roughlilwhitetruck is a jewel in the roughlilwhitetruck is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

I know this may not be for everybody, but when my starter went out at 200K miles, I purchased one off of Ebay from a JY. Yes I know it was used, and I don't know how many "real" miles were on it but it has been going strong now for another year, two-three starts every four days or so. It only cost me $35 bucks and it is original. I know everyone would rather go new, I understand that, but for something as easy as a starter to replace and the amount of time most of use have had our original starters and the fact from what I read on this forum that these things are practically indestructible, that's why I went with a "used" one.
2001 Saturn Silver SC2 Leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 White Fully Loaded, With only 87K! My new DD!!!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:58 AM   #31
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Everyone I have ever purchased from DB Electric comes with the test sheet.
How long did those units last you?
Old 09-25-2019, 02:03 AM   #32
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Here's a picture of the original Valeo starter next to the db.

The small terminal is on the wrong side on the db.

I haven't installed it yet so I guess I'll find out whether that matters tomorrow.

And the OEM doesn't have the globs of solder on the surface that the db has.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starters_compared.JPG (146.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #33
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I should know better than to peek into this swamp, but...

Your original post title indicated you were trying to decide between a reman or new; there was no mention of using an (old, used) OEM or trying to find a true NOS OEM.

My DB has certainly lasted longer than the reman from NAPA that it replaced. The reman lasted just a year or two, the DB has been in too long to remember, but must be over 10 years now. (judging from where I was driving when the NAPA died).

Do you understand what I mean by OEM or NOS? The Delco or any other "OEM" brand may not be the same as they were supplying when the cars were manufactured.

Yeah, that terminal on the wrong side might be a nuisance (mine were either on the correct side, or not a problem), but the solder blob wouldn't worry me too much.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #34
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Installed a DB Electric in April, 2013, and it was still going strong when I parked the car in early 2017.

So, about 4 years of starting at least twice a day, 5 days a week.
I'd forgotten, I was in school 3 of those years, so 50% more starts a day - start to go to work, start to go to school, then start to drive home.

A couple of semesters, I also had weekend classes.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #35
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I should know better than to peek into this swamp, but...

Your original post title indicated you were trying to decide between a reman or new; there was no mention of using an (old, used) OEM or trying to find a true NOS OEM.

My DB has certainly lasted longer than the reman from NAPA that it replaced. The reman lasted just a year or two, the DB has been in too long to remember, but must be over 10 years now. (judging from where I was driving when the NAPA died).

Do you understand what I mean by OEM or NOS? The Delco or any other "OEM" brand may not be the same as they were supplying when the cars were manufactured.

Yeah, that terminal on the wrong side might be a nuisance (mine were either on the correct side, or not a problem), but the solder blob wouldn't worry me too much.
I was not trying to decide between reman and new. I was getting opinions on new.

from my OP
"And of course reman units, which I am not considering unless someone can give me good reason to start."

And yes I understand OEM and NOS and that manufacturers change over time. That's why I started a new thread, because the last one was 10 years old and all the suppliers have likely changed people and/or manufacturing locations. So the build quality will likely have changed as well.

It's very unlikely that DB is selling the same starter now that they were 10 years ago. It may not even be the same people running it as 10 years ago. Or maybe it is. Companies change over time. Company values change with the people. So it's good practice to get up to date information.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #36
S-forever
S-forever is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I'm a DB Electric believer. Mine has 10,000 miles, 17 months, and one new driver behind it. This starter is on my '98. I've replaced the '99 starter several times, a couple times with new units. I don't remember the brands though.
I've had no problems with that brand, and I use them on heavy equipment. I just buy new from Ebay. I have so much Saturn stuff here that I generally just pull a Saturn starter from a junker. So far, so good.
S-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #37
S-forever
S-forever is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

I fixed a friend's Saturn with a NAPA starter gone bad. She had about 150K on it since she had it installed. It was toast when I changed it out in the dead of winter. I just used a spare that I had here.
S-forever is offline   Reply With Quote