SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 05-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Zsolt
Zsolt is on a distinguished road

Default L series roof rack / cross bar options?

Hi all! My current car is a 2003 Saturn L200, with a sunroof.

As a result of my surfing / hockey addiction, I've developed some special needs. A solution would be simple....but it seems to be harder than I thought.
Ideally, I would love to buy those sweet key locking style crossbars from Thule or Rhino simply for the (non cheap) semi permanent look of it. However according to their sites, they have no compatible models for anything other than the l series wagons. I've searched and so far all I came up with was a set of universal crossbars that do not lock, instead they use a barbed tooth tension nylon strap, looks really bad and un-sturdy. So if anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions short of getting permanent ones drilled into my roof, I'm all ears.

Thanks in Advance!
Zsolt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L series roof rack / cross bar options?

I went thru this saga a few years ago to attempt adapting (for the 2nd time) old full length ski racks left over from the days when car roofs had drip rails. I wound up buying a Saturn roof rack from a dealer online and adapted the ski racks to them. Its successful enough that I can have a plain (locking) roof rack (Saturn logo!), half a rack to haul three pairs of skis or a pair of snow boards or a full ski rack to carry up to six pairs of skis or four snowboards or any combination needed. Complete versatility for the winter season. All starting with one OEM Saturn roof rack. I paid about $125-$150 (can't recall the exact amount) and refused to pay ridiculous prices for current racks when I already adapted the same ski racks once before to a wagon with roof racks. If you search around here you can find my pics (maybe my photo album?).

The OEM Saturn roof rack came with locks. I don't know if they're still available. Checking ebay may turn up a few.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Zsolt

I saw set of roof racks on ebay from an LW200. Is that what you ended up buying?

I looked at them and saw that it had a screw on each foot for what I'm assuming in a pre-existing mounting hole on the LW's. Are those even present on the sedans?

I searched as best I could for pictures, but no real solid results. I know you've already been helping with my A/C issues, but would you by any chance have any pics for reference on mounting (how, what, items needed).

Just so lost on this one, and don't have the cash to really experiment...I'd like to get it right the first time.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The optional Saturn roof rack I bought is adjustable for roof width and 'clipped' to grab onto the door frame, making it universal for most Saturn models. Here's mine; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=roof+rack, post #12. The last mod was to eliminate an annoying whistling sound similar to using a tea kettle whistling when water boils. As you can see, the Saturn roof rack allows attaching it to most Saturns with the custom clips formed to slip in-between the door and door frame. A few twists of the oval knob tightens the outboard clips to grab the door frames. Adapting an old set of ski racks and some metal work along with drilling for four mounting bolts with sliding nuts allows complete versatility with the roof rack serving as a base.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
huyroy
huyroy is on a distinguished road

I picked up a used yakima set up. They have all the parts for the L200. You can probably find them on ebay.

Here's what my set up looks like
huyroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
Zsolt

I like the idea of using Saturn parts. But I'm having a lot of trouble locating them. However, the Yakima's are readily available and look pretty sexy. I think I've found my solution! Thanks Boys!