SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Car Overheating 01 swp

There is another 3 quarts in the block.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #22
ii311hive
ii311hive is on a distinguished road

2001 SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
Did you remove the block drain plug under the Thermostat housing to drain the coolant from the engine?
Umm no. I looked at some vids online on flushing and there was no mention of that drain plug.
96 Geo Prizm (Daily Driver)
98 Ford Contour (Other Daily Driver)
01 Saturn SW Postal (Work)
98 Firebird Formula (Play)
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13
ii311hive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #23
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^ There's one in every engine (there are two in some, but I digress...). "Vids online" don't compare to the FSMs.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Use a 6 point socket only and a long extension. Get it from underneath.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #25
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Use a 6 point socket only and a long extension. Get it from underneath.
Ok, will do.
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13
Old 01-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #26
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Well, I took off the drain from the block, and it started to pour pretty good. My assessment of the original 3 qts was more like 2. When I pulled the drain from the block it came out to being the eqiuvelant of maybe 1 qt. I used 7 qt pan that I transferred into a gallon jug of empty coolant, which measured just about 3 qts. Now, to be fair I was draining from an slightly inclined driveway, but I don't think that would factor that much fluid would it? Also before I started the drain my coolant reservoir was about empty.
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13
Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #27
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Refill with a gallon of 100% first and then top off to the normal cold line on the reservoir. Start engine and verify flow through the small hose at the back of reservoir. You can see it from the open reservoir and the hose will heat up along with the engine before the thermostat opens. Must get hot. If that small hose is plugged you will blow all the coolant out of the engine.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #28
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Quote:
Refill with a gallon of 100% first and then top off to the normal cold line on the reservoir. Start engine and verify flow through the small hose at the back of reservoir. You can see it from the open reservoir and the hose will heat up along with the engine before the thermostat opens. Must get hot. If that small hose is plugged you will blow all the coolant out of the engine.
So let me get this right I need to fill with full concentrate antifreeze, then what is room is left I put the distilled water to the normal line. I DO NOT put cap on when I start the engine and make sure there is flow of fluid is present in the little hose correct? If it is free flowing then It solved the problem right? If not then its something blocking the line and the problem is not solved?
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #29
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Correct. If there are any more issues then there are more serious problems to identify. Now the casual assumption is you are using an ethylene glycol based antifreeze product. The non toxic propylene glycol antifreeze requires more 100% antifreeze to get away from atmospheric boiling. If it is non toxic it is propylene glycol, and if it is toxic it is ethylene glycol.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #30
ii311hive

2001 SWP

So far so good. The real test will be on my route tomorrow. I let it warm up and saw the inside kind of swirling around which led me to believe that there was no blockage coming from the hose. Right now I am gonna drive into the next town and back. Tomorrow when I come back from work I will post the results.
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13
Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #31
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Feel the small hose, is it hot or cold? If cold it is plugged and that is a problem. If the engine has been running for 5 minutes or so that hose will definitely be warm to hot.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 AM   #32
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Quote:
Feel the small hose, is it hot or cold? If cold it is plugged and that is a problem. If the engine has been running for 5 minutes or so that hose will definitely be warm to hot.
Felt the hose and it was definitely warm. I noticed that my windshield fluid pump wasn't working. I know that has nothing to do with the reservoir or what I just did because when I left for my test drive it was working, just didn't have fluid in it. This leads to my next question. Does it have a separate fuse? The wipers work fine, just no pump to squirt the fluid.
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #33
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii311hive View Post
Felt the hose and it was definitely warm. I noticed that my windshield fluid pump wasn't working. I know that has nothing to do with the reservoir or what I just did because when I left for my test drive it was working, just didn't have fluid in it. This leads to my next question. Does it have a separate fuse? The wipers work fine, just no pump to squirt the fluid.
Nevermind, just read another post on this issue and I am gonna try that. Will post on the temp and reservoir after I get home tomorrow. Thanks all and lets cross our fingers that the overheating issue is resolved.
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13
Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #34
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Did I read correctly that it mainly only overheats when in stop-and-go driving as a letter carrier often does? It sounds like the fan is coming on - but perhaps late. Wonder if the fan, its circuit or the fan relay is not totally reliable?
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #35
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
It is best to keep good fluid in the washer reservoir because if you inadvertently run the pump without fluid it will be ruined.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #36
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
So far so good. The real test will be on my route tomorrow. I let it warm up and saw the inside kind of swirling around which led me to believe that there was no blockage coming from the hose. Right now I am gonna drive into the next town and back. Tomorrow when I come back from work I will post the results.
If you have good flow and the line heats up fairly quick then the line should be clear. The swirling is a good indication that it is responding well to increases in engine RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Did I read correctly that it mainly only overheats when in stop-and-go driving as a letter carrier often does? It sounds like the fan is coming on - but perhaps late. Wonder if the fan, its circuit or the fan relay is not totally reliable?
This would be a concern to me as well. I'm not 100% sure of the operation of the light, but would assume that during normal operation that the fan would come on before any high temp light would come on.

Being a single sensor car, it wouldn't seem that that ECTS being bad would affect this part of the issue, but a check of the ECTS might be in order if the problem continues.

I would hope for the sake of the OP that the reservoir is the problem, but TBH at this point I have my doubts being that the reservoir and cap have already been replaced once.

If the problem isn't solved, time for testing for exhaust gasses IMO.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #37
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the ECTS circuit is bad/defective/generating incorrect values there is no outward indication of a problem. Further overheating events will require more involved troubleshooting to ID the root cause. There is a rather long list of possible causes before getting to engine mechanical issues.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #38
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Im happy to report everything went well. Today was a pretty warm day in central texas. I just want to thank all involved and a big thank you. Now on to my next issue, the washer pump. I found this thread http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161758 and gonna try and follow it. The Richpin vid shows a similar but not the same as my setup. I haven't taken the bottle out yet, is the pump attached to the bottle like in the vid?
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13
Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #39
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is pretty much self explanatory when you get the bottle out so you can see it. At least you should be past the overheating issue.