Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
coolcat2
Advanced Member
coolcat2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
2002 SL1
Default Evacuating the A/C

I live in Las Vegas and today the humidity is 16%. I the summer we can be as low as 7%. I read the reason to evacuate the system is to lower the boiling point of the moisture so it will boil off. If the humidity is so low is this really nessesary? I have a leak where the lines bolt to the compressor and add a can 134a about every 2 months. Would like to fix this but I do not have a way to evacuate the system.
coolcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Evacuating the A/C

Any Autozones out there that has vacuum pumps and gauges for loan out? It does not matter what the prevailing humidity is as all a/c systems are sealed and meant to run almost forever without any service.

Air and moisture are the enemies of refrigeration systems so a vacuum is used to remove all air and moisture from a sealed system. Once a system is opened then air and moisture contaminates a system. Not vacuuming a system will leave air and moisture to attack the steel parts over a period of time that eventually ruins a system. All refrigeration systems are supposed to be sealed without needing "topping off", "refills" or "recharging". Doing so means the leak no one wants to accept and determine where the leak is to repair is properly towards restoring the sealed condition when it left the assembly line. If you don't refill a refrigerator or room a/c unit then you're not supposed to be refilling a car a/c system. It leaked and needs repair. A vacuum pump used to remove air and moisture is preparing this evacuated system to run only on R134a and oil. Every vehicle a/c system is assembled this way. The same for refrigerators and HVAC systems whether home room unit, whole house or commercial building. All are vacuumed to remove all air and moisture before charging with refrigerant.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Evacuating the A/C

If you cannot find a loaner, Harbor Freight, among others, sell them. Adequate for occasional use. As noted above you want to get out both air and mositure.

I once charged an R12 system (after replacing an aluminum line that wore through due to vibration) using a MityVac hand pump to do several purge-add-R12-gas-to-ambient cycles before charging due to urgency. It worked on the 1990 Mustang in question, but I do not recommend.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote