SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: why are s series ac so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
Lol yea so the honda is the least powerful but has the best ac..... So.......?
Either it needs less of a charge than our S-series or perhaps better compressor design?
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #22
dakota1820
Advanced Member
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2000 SL1

No Idea I wish I knew a way to make it cooler though.
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

The question is what is the BTU/Hr rating of the several A/C systems mentioned at normal RPM adn idle RPM?

A second question is the condition of the seals, doros, and air path in the HVAC air handler. A bit of air leaking past the heater coil can cut A/C effectiveness dramatically.

Also, A/C works a lot harder in high humidity climates (e.g., south east coast) than in the CA desert.

I will note that my experience with the SL2 I had is that, while adequate for daily driver use in northern VA, it did not quite come up to the usually excellent A/C found in the other GM cars I've owned.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #24
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Severely raked front and rear glass with very little factory tint. A huge black dashboard. Very little insulation on the firewall. All this adds up to a hot car when sitting in traffic on a sunny day. If you must park in the sun, use a shield on the windshield to keep the dash cool.
BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
Dennyj1992
Dennyj1992 has a spectacular aura aboutDennyj1992 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

I'm not complaining...

Ever since we have owned our SL1, A/C has been great. Of course my parents originally bought the car from a dealership (Graff) but still, it's always been cold enough to make the hot days a little bit better.

I mean, if it's really that bad...just roll down a window while cruising down the highway.
Dennyj1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
No Idea I wish I knew a way to make it cooler though.
Read post #9 again and subsequent posts by members with great cooling. Your a/c worked perfectly when it was new. A repair that isn't done correctly simply won't cool correctly. Once 'meddled' with, any a/c system will either work perfectly as it did when new or less due to many issues. 'Many issues' are those assuming a refill can is the fix..................

Like servicing a car by a dealer or local repair shop, you pay for services. Expert repairs are expensive. A Ferrari isn't tuned by you or me. Its done by a factory trained expensive expert. If you can afford a Ferrari then you can pay for service. A $1200 a/c system that was once an option and now almost a standard feature for many cars is not a DIY week end repair project by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, a refill can will work but a system that needs refilling is not a repair, just a band aid to a leaking system. Good a/c repair shops charge for services like anyone else in business. You won't get cheap repairs if you expect your a/c system to work so you pay for it. A/C shops are in business to make money and expect to get paid for their services. Expert services. Unless you are willing to learn what it takes to repair vehicle a/c systems, you won't appreciate the time and expenses laid out to have equipment and expertise/knowledge to troubleshoot and repair vehicle a/c systems. If you do understand then you'll know why its expensive to pay someone for a/c work. If you spent the time and effort to learn a trade, don't you expect to be paid for your expertise?
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 04-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
Severely raked front and rear glass with very little factory tint. A huge black dashboard. Very little insulation on the firewall. All this adds up to a hot car when sitting in traffic on a sunny day. If you must park in the sun, use a shield on the windshield to keep the dash cool.
Big factors that many overlook IMO. The SL1 probably has almost as much glass area as the much larger Ascender we have. Combined with being old enough to have no tint at all, it's a cooker in the summer. I would say on a hot bright day after baking some, the Ascender (or my truck for that matter) have to have temps 10-15 degrees less when measured at the roof of the car.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote