SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
trouttrooper
trouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default oil leak question

Besides warping plastic valve cover and the whole piston issue do these DOHC engines have a propensity to leak in other areas? Mine has 155k miles on it and it goes through oil faster than it should. Do the main seals have a tendency to leak?

I just changed the oil and the oil covering everything underneath reminded me that one of these days I should probably do something about it. My valve cover leaks a little, but I don't think it can account for all the oil underneath, even with gravity coming into play. Just picked up an aluminum cover, that will be an afternoon project one of these days.
trouttrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Default Re: oil leak question

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouttrooper View Post
Besides warping plastic valve cover and the whole piston issue do these DOHC engines have a propensity to leak in other areas? Mine has 155k miles on it and it goes through oil faster than it should. Do the main seals have a tendency to leak?

I just changed the oil and the oil covering everything underneath reminded me that one of these days I should probably do something about it. My valve cover leaks a little, but I don't think it can account for all the oil underneath, even with gravity coming into play. Just picked up an aluminum cover, that will be an afternoon project one of these days.
Valve cover gasket is the top one. Follow the gravity flow. Rear main seal, crank seal and the front timing cover. What oil do you use? How much oil do you use?
96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

How often do you get the RPM over 3000? I find the revving the engine is the biggest source of my oil burning. That is, the biggest oil consumption for me is when I go on a road trip and drive over 70 MPH at an extended period. This will burn the oil. If I don't do these road trips, I burn less than a quart per oil change.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
trouttrooper
trouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

I'm leaning towards rear main. I haven't spent too much time searching around the engine. The valve cover doesn't seem to be leaking bad, I don't have rivers of wet oil flowing. However pulling a plug wire off and it was covered in oil.

It's using about a quart every 700-ish miles. I don't think it's burning much of it. Seeing the exhaust in the headlights on the cold days this winter did not have any tint of blue. I know that's not real scientific but if it was burning that much you'd see a little at least.

I bought the car in December and had a shop change the oil right away. I think they used pennzoil. I just changed it the first time myself today. I use Quaker state high mileage stuff 5W30 as I've had good luck with it in my other cars.

I'm pretty light footed with the car. Generally shift at 2500 rpm and don't go any faster than 65. Besides it needs a new clutch one of these days.

I know my way around cars, I was mainly wondering if they had a common leak problem besides valve cover. It's my beater-mobile to get me to work and run around town so I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I've definitely been liking the 37mpg the last couple tanks of gas.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
trouttrooper

2000 SL2

I should also say there's never a puddle of oil under the car. Just a drip here and there
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Yep, they leak... through the oil control rings.

At 155k, unless there was a rebuild in its history or insanely good maintenance it should be burning oil rather heavily by now. It's possible for it to leak from other areas, but most of your oil is probably being burned. The catalytic converter takes care of it mostly so you shouldn't be able to see the oil in the exhaust. Make sure to put a fixed orifice PCV valve on it as that can reduce some oil burning. Part number is PCV 1009 at Autozone.
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When you do the clutch you can check the rear main. They usually do not leak. If bad they make a puddle on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouttrooper View Post
I'm leaning towards rear main. I haven't spent too much time searching around the engine. The valve cover doesn't seem to be leaking bad, I don't have rivers of wet oil flowing. However pulling a plug wire off and it was covered in oil.

It's using about a quart every 700-ish miles. I don't think it's burning much of it. Seeing the exhaust in the headlights on the cold days this winter did not have any tint of blue. I know that's not real scientific but if it was burning that much you'd see a little at least.

I bought the car in December and had a shop change the oil right away. I think they used pennzoil. I just changed it the first time myself today. I use Quaker state high mileage stuff 5W30 as I've had good luck with it in my other cars.

I'm pretty light footed with the car. Generally shift at 2500 rpm and don't go any faster than 65. Besides it needs a new clutch one of these days.

I know my way around cars, I was mainly wondering if they had a common leak problem besides valve cover. It's my beater-mobile to get me to work and run around town so I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I've definitely been liking the 37mpg the last couple tanks of gas.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
trouttrooper

2000 SL2

Thanks. I've already done the PCV swap.

My old Jeep had a bad rear main and it would smell like burnt oil bad when I drove it. Fortunately it was a 2 piece seal so I was able to replace it by dropping the oil pan and removing the rear bearing cap. Messy job but all in all not bad. With the saturn I only smell burning oil for just a couple minutes every once in awhile when on the highway.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Entirely different design, no relationship other than location on rear of engine.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Check the oil drain plug too. Significant leaks that are not burned should eventually appear on the outside of the engine somewhere.

Oil on the spark plug boots in the plug wells is likely a leaking donut seal for the cam cover at that well. No place for that oil to go from in the well until you remove the boot and plug.

Worn valve guide seals can leak increasing oil consumption.

Extensive use of engine braking can increase oil consumption thanks to higher RPM and high Vacuum.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote