SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
DaMirrorLink
DaMirrorLink is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Car won't start by ignition, popping clutch starts

I have a curious situation with my SL1, since thursday, to start it 90% of the time you have to pop the clutch, when you turn the key you hear a soft click inside the car (kind of from the fuses but they are all good), sometimes jiggling it back and forth works and it will start, but most of the time you have to push it to pop the clutch, the times that it works with jiggling it starts right up, no cranking or anything.
DaMirrorLink is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: Car won't start by ignition, popping clutch starts

You have a dirty starter solonoid. You can either replace your starter, or remove it and clean out the solonoid contacts. There is a very good utube video that shows how to do this, and its pretty effective.

The hardest part is removing the top starter bolt. Concider replacing the bolts with intake manifold studs while you have it out.
Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
DaMirrorLink
DaMirrorLink is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Did this a couple days ago, but I took the starter off, cleaned the solenoid contacts, and for the hell of it, took it to autozone and o'reilly's and it passed on autozone's but they said that it should be stronger and spin faster (sounded just fine, don't think they realize that a 1.9L SOHC doesn't require 1500 RPM from starter) and o'reilly's tested it 5 times before letting us see the result that it failed but could tell that we weren't buying it, took it home, reinstalled it (positive had been slightly loose) and its starting perfectly now, just figured you guys might want to know that sometimes your FLAP doesn't know what they are talkinga bout
DaMirrorLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Glad to hear it worked out for you! My '99 had been running now for almost 2 years on a 'cleaned' starter. I cleaned off the starter on our '02 SL1 while I had the engine out as a preventative measure.

I even have a spare used starter on the rack that I cleaned out as a back-up.

I don't really trust the auto parts store diagnostic services. I have had them tell me an alternator was bad, that turned out to be fine. (still in the car). A misdiagnosed bad battery. (actually told be that it was ok). Not trying to slam them, but I just don't think they are that well trained on this type of stuff.
Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
...sometimes your FLAP doesn't know what they are talkinga bout
Sometimes? In that case you may have a better than average FLAP
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote