SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
144man
144man has a spectacular aura about144man has a spectacular aura about144man has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
Default T-stat questions, 99 SL2

I'm getting ready to replace my T-stat and ECTS. Nothing wrong really, and only 65K on the clock. But the temp gauge never goes much above the first line.

I've read that the Stant 14279 is the right one, but I can only find them at 188, even though they say 195.

I THINK I want a true 195 T-stat. Am I barking up a phantom tree?
144man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: T-stat questions, 99 SL2

It sounds like your T-stat is working find. I would not mess with it if it was mine.
Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
papoopeepoo
papoopeepoo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

how much is "not much" above the 1/4 line? Looking at it straight on, it should be just about 3/8s, give or take a few millimeters.

it's possible your T-stat is fine, but your ETCS does need to be replaced with the brass-tipped one. Get both parts and install the ECTS first and then drive and see if anything changes, if you want. I would just change both if anything was questionable. Together they are affordable enough that they will probably pay for themselves in saved gasoline pretty quickly, depending how much you drive.
Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do. -- www.prussianmotors.com
papoopeepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

The stant is highly recommended on here for whatever reason. I replaced mine with one from Autozone (only because I was getting a code) and it has lasted longer (6 years) and more miles (90K) than the original from the factory. AND, it was a 185 degree one from Germany.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
144man
144man has a spectacular aura about144man has a spectacular aura about144man has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by papoopeepoo View Post
how much is "not much" above the 1/4 line? Looking at it straight on, it should be just about 3/8s, give or take a few millimeters.
It pretty much just hits the first hashmark, then stays there. Only sitting in traffic on a hot day will it get up to even halfway between the first hashmark and the middle one. Never all the way to the middle (fat) one, where I THINK it should run all the time.

FWIW, I get really good heat in the winter in about 1-2 miles of driving, with the gauge at or just below the first hashmark.

I'll try the ECTS first and see if that does anything.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

If the ECTS doesn't do it, then do the thermostat. If that is the correct part number for the Stant unit, it is the proper one. The ratings vary based on where you buy it from.

I'm not partial to the Stant units myself, and similar to TxSaturn02 used another brand that worked just fine. More than a few people had some really early failures with the Stant units.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 144man View Post
Never all the way to the middle (fat) one, where I THINK it should run all the time.

FWIW, I get really good heat in the winter in about 1-2 miles of driving, with the gauge at or just below the first hashmark.
Good plan on doing the ECTS first, and be sure to check the connector for crud.

The fact that you get good heat so quickly sounds like your thermostat is fine. I wouldn't bother with the tstat unless you are also doing something else, like your regularly scheduled antifreeze change.

For a 1999, the nominal 'normal' temp gauge reading is 3/8, but these temp gauges are not precision instruments. When your gauge hits 1/2 or slightly over, your fan will come on if you are below ~40 mph or so.

Saturns originally (1991-1995) ran with the temp gauges at 1/2 normally, and had the fan turned on at 3/4 on the gauge - but a lot of owners thought their cars were overheating at 3/4 and complained. So Saturn recalibrated the gauges to show 3/8 for normal, even though it was the exact same temp as the old 1/2 reading.

I'm one of those "early Stant failure" guys.... replaced the old tstat when I got the car (because I was replacing antifreeze of unknown age), ended up with a failed tstat 3 yrs later. Some boxes are marked with when the tstat first opens, others with when they are fully open. Might even be the exact same thermostat
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post

Saturns originally (1991-1995) ran with the temp gauges at 1/2 normally, and had the fan turned on at 3/4 on the gauge - but a lot of owners thought their cars were overheating at 3/4 and complained. So Saturn recalibrated the gauges to show 3/8 for normal, even though it was the exact same temp as the old 1/2 reading.
Just for clarification here....

I can't speak from personal experience on all earlier years, but our '95 from the factory ran at 3/8 on the gauge or a little less. The factory thermostat was a cooler running unit than the aftermarket NAPA or the Stant. With the NAPA unit it now runs at just shy of 1/2 on the gauge.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

At first read, to me it sounds like it's running a little too cold, because my 94 was usually at 1/2 warmed up and between 3/5 & 3/4 in slow stop & go traffic.

My friend's 97 was exactly the same way, but come to think of it, she drove it with the oil level between 1 & 1.5 qt short half the time - which might have cancelled out the difference from the recalibrated temp gauge and spoofed me into believing they're supposed to read the same?
'94 navy blue SC1 from 04.2004 to 04.2011 which retired undefeated!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

On the '96 and newer the fan should come on somewhat before the gauge reaches the 3/4 mark.

Expect the temp gauge to stay at abotu 3/8 scale on the open road (generally above 30 mph). It will slowly climb to fan turn-on if stopped at a light, idling, etc.

Temp gauge sitting at 1/4 scale or below on the open road sounds low, and implies a t-stat that is not closing fully or is opening early, or it could indicate an ECTS issue.

The rub is that a stuck open t-stat can reduce fuel economy.

The original ECTS was resin tipped and will crack/fail over time. This can result in low temp readings and may allow overheating as well because the fan will not come on when it should. You can spot whether or not the ECTS has been replaced by its profile. See the several threads in the How-to library forum for images, etc. By now many S-cars have had the ECTS replaced, perhaps by a previous owner, but wiorth checking to be sure.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Just for clarification here....

I can't speak from personal experience on all earlier years, but our '95 from the factory ran at 3/8 on the gauge or a little less.
Yep, there is/was considerable variation in "normal" even within a given model year

We've had several members test actual temperature with thermometers and OBDII readers, because after a new thermostat, their gauges were still reading at 1/4 - the thermometer and OBDII showed correct temps, while the guage stubbornly read low)
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
144man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Good plan on doing the ECTS first, and be sure to check the connector for crud.

The fact that you get good heat so quickly sounds like your thermostat is fine. I wouldn't bother with the tstat unless you are also doing something else, like your regularly scheduled antifreeze change.

For a 1999, the nominal 'normal' temp gauge reading is 3/8, but these temp gauges are not precision instruments. When your gauge hits 1/2 or slightly over, your fan will come on if you are below ~40 mph or so.

I'm one of those "early Stant failure" guys.... replaced the old tstat when I got the car (because I was replacing antifreeze of unknown age), ended up with a failed tstat 3 yrs later. Some boxes are marked with when the tstat first opens, others with when they are fully open. Might even be the exact same thermostat
Well, I replaced the ECTS, and it was the original plastic one. It hadn't failed yet, since the connectors were bright and clean. The new one I put in is a BWD brand brass-tipped, part number WT5029. Thanks sould go to Richpin, and his excellent video. (Is it just me, or does he sound exactly like Peter Griffin? My wife thought I was watching Family Guy videos. Anyway, his stuff is really helpful.)

The car seems to heat up faster than before, but it still only goes to the first hashmark on the gauge. I guess I need to find someone with a reader, so I can determine what the ACTUAL running temp is.

For now, I guess I'll leave the T-stat alone, and see what it does when warmer weather gets here.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
papoopeepoo
papoopeepoo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

I would replace the t-stat. the temp gauge should get noticeably above the 1/4 bar, ~3/8ths. As alordofchaos said, the needle should progressively rise to halfway and your fan should come on and the needle should quickly drop below halfway.

Having a stuck open thermostat, as it looks you have, will not allow your engine to completely warm up, and this will affect the amount of fuel the computer delivers during operation. So get a Stant part# 14279 thermostat and you'll improve your gas economy, heat, and overall reliance in your car.
Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do. -- www.prussianmotors.com
papoopeepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
the thermometer and OBDII showed correct temps, while the guage stubbornly read low)
5-10 minute fix with a 7mm socket for 2nd gen style gauge's ('95-'99)
Adjusted the rest of the gauges at the same time, everything was far more accurate. Don't play with 'em without a scanner though to read what the PCM wants the gauges to show otherwise you'll do more harm then good.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Banjoman
Banjoman is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Yep, there is/was considerable variation in "normal" even within a given model year

We've had several members test actual temperature with thermometers and OBDII readers, because after a new thermostat, their gauges were still reading at 1/4 - the thermometer and OBDII showed correct temps, while the guage stubbornly read low)
This is exactly what happened to me. I replaced the ECTS and the T-stat, but the temp gauge was still reading low, barely above the 1/4 mark. A ScanGauge II shows the temp at 190-195 F in normal driving.
Banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

These gauges do have a tolerance and every so often you find one that sits at either extreme of the OK range..
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
144man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by papoopeepoo View Post
I would replace the t-stat. the temp gauge should get noticeably above the 1/4 bar, ~3/8ths. As alordofchaos said, the needle should progressively rise to halfway and your fan should come on and the needle should quickly drop below halfway.

Having a stuck open thermostat, as it looks you have, will not allow your engine to completely warm up, and this will affect the amount of fuel the computer delivers during operation. So get a Stant part# 14279 thermostat and you'll improve your gas economy, heat, and overall reliance in your car.
I kinda don't think the stat is stuck open, since it warms quickly. I get good heat and defrost in about 1 mile of driving on surface streets. Also, since replacing the ECTS, it comes up to the first hashmark noticably quicker than it did before. It just never gets much above there. I rather suspect it is a gauge issue, since it runs fine and gives 25-28 mpg in suburban non-freeway driving. It's hard to tell with the weather being cold. I guess I need to get it scanned to see what the real operating temp is.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Typical code-reader for free use at the parts store doesn't have real-time capabilities; only code reading. Maybe you'll be luckier than I was, until I bought one with real-time cababilites
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
144man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Typical code-reader for free use at the parts store doesn't have real-time capabilities; only code reading. Maybe you'll be luckier than I was, until I bought one with real-time cababilites
What did you buy, and how much? I'd like to keep this car for a LONG time, and I'm thinking maybe I should spring for one.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I bought an Actron 9180 for about $40 more then it's going for now. At some point I'll get one of those $15 USB readers for my laptop.