SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
mudnsoccerguy
mudnsoccerguy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Replaced a clutch and turned my manual into an automatic

So today I replaced the clutch on my 96 Saturn SL2. Using some of the great advice and how to's on here it went fairly well. After reassembling the transmission and installing the slave cylinder I hopped in and pressed on the clutch. At first it wouldn't move, then after a pop and a cloud of smoke (according to those watching the engine bay) the pedal went limp. I removed the slave cylinder to see what was the problem and the plunger had fallen loose and ended up inside the bell housing. After another quick tear down we got the plunger out and I tested the fork, throwout bearing, and the slave cylinder to find the culprit. All checked out great and we reassembled. After reassembly I left the car on jack stands with the tires off to see how the transmission and new clutch, and current slave cylinder performed.

The clutch seemed much firmer than before and shifted gears without a problem. The confusing part is now with the clutch in neutral the wheels spin slowly. When the car is put into any other gear the speed picks up, but does not seem to correspond with the amount of gas given. When the clutch pedal is pressed all motion stops, but then restarts with my foot taken off the pedal.

According to what I have seen on the site the culprit could be: a bad slave cylinder (however, it said warning signs were leaking to which I have noticed none), low fluid (very dirty but not low), or a possessed car. Where should I focus my attention tomorrow?? I feel pretty confident that it is not the new clutch since all of the gears engage and when the pedal is pressed any movement stops. Should I be looking at a new slave cylinder, new master cylinder (parts store said I could replace one without the other) or a transmission problem (since we did touch everything I know there's always a chance we made things worse rather than improve them).

Thanks for any and all help!!!
1996 Saturn SL2 90k miles, 3rd owner
mudnsoccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Replaced a clutch and turned my manual into an automatic

Get the wheels on the car and put the car on the ground. See what it does when it is on the ground. Wheel spin in neutral with the wheels up is normal. It is internal friction in the trans spinning the wheels.
If the car will not idle in neutral with the wheels on the ground then you have a problem.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote