saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General

Old 09-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Eric
Eric is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2007 Outlook XR
Wrench Timing Chains

My 2007 Outlook XR has about 58k miles on it. Recently on a vacation trip to Cape Hatteras we drove from Massachusetts while towing a small trailer (with my motorcycle on it) and since my Outlook has the towing package I used the "tow" button for the first time since we purchased the Outlook. I was shocked to see a service engine light right after we arrived. I used OnStar to have the codes read, and they said that the issue was with the engine timing, and that it should be serviced within the next day.

So I made a trip to the "local" Chevy dealer in Kitty Hawk (nearly two hours away), and they advised that I would probably need to have the timing chains serviced, but it would be okay to drive it back to MA in the meantime.

Well, we made it back home without any trouble, and the SES light came on and turned off over the week we waited to bring it into a local dealer. Once we had it evaluated it did indeed need to have all three of the timing chains replaced - the tech report said that the tensioners were at their limits.

Thanks to GM's 5yr/100k warranty, the repair was on them, so no cash out of pocket for me.

Still, I was curious - how common is this? I asked the dealer rep about how much they see Outlooks/Lambdas in for this issue, and she said that they've seen a few each week recently. Has anyone else had this happen? Also, although I don't see how it makes a difference, could towing a trailer have something to do with it? I'd be more inclined to think it was just timing...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
MMarlin
MMarlin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Timing Chains

Had the timing chain and the cam shaft replaced at around 28000 miles.

THEN 45 days later had the engine torn down again...cylinder head and cam shaft actuators replaced.

There are issues with the 07/09/09 Outlook and Acadia models timing chains.
2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!
2007 Silver Outlook - SIGHHH! Traded 2/11 for a 2011 Enclave
2005 Gray Nissan 350Z - FUN FUN FUN warm weather only with the top down
MMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
james
james is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarlin View Post
Had the timing chain and the cam shaft replaced at around 28000 miles.

THEN 45 days later had the engine torn down again...cylinder head and cam shaft actuators replaced.

There are issues with the 07/09/09 Outlook and Acadia models timing chains.
but no issue with the MY10 models? do you know what changed? also, what is the issue with the chains?

Thanks.
'09 Outloook XE FWD - Midnight Blue
'00 Camaro Z28
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

you think that they would of fixed this problem since the 00' LS saturns had timing chain problems like crazy..
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

very common on outlooks. part of the reason i traded my 08 as i could see it coming. some breather tube gets blocked and it makes oil sludge up on the top of engine and get into aircleaner and goes thru throttle body into the engine and the s;udge ends up screwing up the timing chains. if you take off the little black tube next to aircleaner i bet there is oil in it.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
XRDreamliner
XRDreamliner is on a distinguished road

Seriously? Oil sludge? I think not... the "tube" coming into the intake snorkel is for the crankcase vent. Oil sludge has not been an on-going issue with the 3.6 liter V6 in the Lambda platforms.

The timing chain stretch is more related to design of the chain and/or its manufacture, rather than the type of oil, oil change interval, etc.
XRDreamliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
HockeyMom
HockeyMom is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I just had my timing chains replaced on Dec 20th at 61,264 miles. I do not have the towing option. My check engine light was coming on intermittently. It seemed to be triggered by my using the remote start. The car would start, but then the car would stop and the check engine light would be on. But sometimes it came on even without using the remote start.
HockeyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
djhhjd
djhhjd is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom View Post
I just had my timing chains replaced on Dec 20th at 61,264 miles. I do not have the towing option. My check engine light was coming on intermittently. It seemed to be triggered by my using the remote start. The car would start, but then the car would stop and the check engine light would be on. But sometimes it came on even without using the remote start.
How often did you change the oil? Did you go by the OLM?
Member of the "discontinued" club!
djhhjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
electbc
electbc is on a distinguished road

Opened up snorkel to Throttle Body, found the sludge oil in bottom and discoloration into Throttle. It had been down a quart or two at oil change. Replaced air cleaner, it wasn't blocked but was dirty.
Can this be the cause of oil sucked into Throttle?
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

gm says when that sludge gets on airfilter and into throttle body it can be sucked into the engine. thats always been my theory and why outlooks etc get sludgy and chains break. most outlooks have the same problem as yours. i started looking at a bunch of them in the shop and almost all had it.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
very common on outlooks.... some breather tube gets blocked and it makes oil sludge up on the top of engine and get into aircleaner and goes thru throttle body into the engine and the sludge ends up screwing up the timing chains. if you take off the little black tube next to aircleaner i bet there is oil in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
gm says when that sludge gets on airfilter and into throttle body it can be sucked into the engine. thats always been my theory and why outlooks etc get sludgy and chains break. most outlooks have the same problem as yours. i started looking at a bunch of them in the shop and almost all had it.
With your first hand insight, would you have any suggestions or solution (recurring problem)?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i dont or i wouldnt have sold mine. gms answer is to recalibrate olm but i changed my oil by 50 percent so i dont buy that. i think its some blocker breather tube (why else only outlook, encalve etc and not others. i really dont know the answer. how about you?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't know what the Outlook engine looks like, especially the valve train/crankcase ventilation system and you're observations are better than anyone else's only because you've seen more than a fair share of recurrences. With recalibration of the OLM to force early oil changes, perhaps this would give synthetics a better reason to use them. Supposedly better detergent action is a prime feature for synthetic oil over regular without the modified change in OLM parameters.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote