SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General

Old 11-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Roll Eyes What's the poop on heated washer fluid?

In September, Saturn disconnected the heated washer fluid system(danger of short circuit and fire!!) - no problem on our Outlook, but they HAD to do it. I just phoned the dealership, as they asked me to do, and was told that the parts "are not here, and we don't know when they will be in". When I asked if they would EVER be in, I was told the same answer! Does GM have a fix for this, or do I have to ask for the money I spent on this option back? Anyone had success with this yet?
Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: What's the poop on heated washer fluid?

from what ive been told it will never be fixed and they stopped making it on all new cars. no longer avail
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
rcdice
rcdice will become famous soon enough

2009 Outlook XR

I ordered my Outlook with the Convenience Package. That package was to include the heated wiper fluid among other things. Personally, I really didn't care about the heated fluid but did want some of the other items.

The sticker lists bullet pointed items included in the package. Rather interesting to note that one of the bullet points says "HEATED WIPER FLUID NOT INCLUDED". Since when does a car sticker specifically list an option NOT included?

Not a big deal to me and since I got such a great deal I didn't even mention it at delivery.

BTW, 1,100 miles thus far and everything works great!
rcdice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I had it on a Buick Lucerne. It was really cool. The DIC let you know the heating process was occuring and then 20-30 seconds later out it comes.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

my outlook has it and it works great. now i will be afraid to use it.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Automotive News | October 14, 2008 - 5:05 pm EST
DETROIT ó Stung by a General Motors recall of its main product, Microheat Inc. today filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The once-promising technology company ceased most production of its hot-spray windshield washer at its sole manufacturing plant in suburban Detroit. Microheat is operating with a skeleton staff, including CEO Ron Gardhouse.

Microheat sought Chapter 11 protection as a result of an August recall of 944,000 GM vehicles equipped with Microheatís HotShot system. The award-winning washer sprays hot liquid on windshields to clean the glass of ice and debris. GM recalled the vehicles, from the 2006-through-2008 model years, because of the potential for electrical fires.

As Automotive News first reported last week, GM wants Microheat to pay between $20 million and $25 million for the projected cost of the recall, according to court documents.

Last month, Microheat sued GM after the carmaker allegedly withheld payments for product shipped in July, August and September. Microheat says GM owes the supplier more than $3.7 million for the parts, tooling and other charges, according to court documents.

Microheat listed assets and liabilities of between $10 million and $50 million each, according to documents filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Detroit.

By far the largest Microheat creditor is M-Heat Investors LLC, of Bettendorf, Iowa, with a claim of $42.7 million. About $10.1 million of the amount is secured and the remaining $32.6 million unsecured, according to the bankruptcy court records.

The GM recall affects more than a dozen of the automakerís most expensive vehicles equipped with the hot-spray washer. The vehicles include the Cadillac Escalade SUV, Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck and Suburban SUV and Buick Enclave crossover.

In its recall notice, GM told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that a short circuit on the printed circuit board of the washer-fluid heater could overheat the control-circuit ground wire. To fix the problem free of charge, dealers will install a wire harness with an inline fuse, GM said.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
HockeyMom
HockeyMom is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I took my Outlook in a couple of weeks ago for the other windshield wiper recall and they claim the also did the heated washer-fluid recall. I thought they weren't supposed to have the parts until November 1st, but they said they replaced some wire and that fixed it.
HockeyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

the only problem is if they could fix the problem why did they stop making it? i bet the answer is there is no fix yet
Old 11-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
logbite

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
the only problem is if they could fix the problem why did they stop making it? i bet the answer is there is no fix yet
I just heard from the service manager at the Saturn dealer. He tells me that a fused addition to the wiring for the washer fluid heater is now in stock, and will be installed in all affected vehicles as soon as appointments can be made! They have always taken care of me and my Outlook!
premium seating,
premium plus seating
cold weather package
Old 11-05-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
CRXguy
CRXguy is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by logbite View Post
I just heard from the service manager at the Saturn dealer. He tells me that a fused addition to the wiring for the washer fluid heater is now in stock, and will be installed in all affected vehicles as soon as appointments can be made! They have always taken care of me and my Outlook!
This is the first time I've heard of this. Is there a recall # for it? I have a 2008 XE.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
lewisr
lewisr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
This is the first time I've heard of this. Is there a recall # for it? I have a 2008 XE.
I don't know the recall #, but there were only a hand full of Outlooks on the recall. Search on acadiaforum.net, I believe it's on there along with the VIN's affected..
lewisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
logbite

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
It affects Outlooks that have the heated system with the #'s 8J100640 to 8J100780(2008 models). Hope this helps. The recall # 08048B.
premium seating,
premium plus seating
cold weather package
Old 11-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
Carlisle_Outlk
Carlisle_Outlk is on a distinguished road

I received a recall letter from Saturn about this in early October and my Outlook goes in for the upgrade on Friday. The letter stated that the parts would be available to dealers on November 1st and that appointments could be made after that time.
Carlisle_Outlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle_Outlk View Post
I received a recall letter from Saturn about this in early October and my Outlook goes in for the upgrade on Friday. The letter stated that the parts would be available to dealers on November 1st and that appointments could be made after that time.
I have an Outlook customer in today for the fix... parts are in stock.
Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #15
logbite

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCityShawn View Post
I have an Outlook customer in today for the fix... parts are in stock.
Got mine done today - make sure that they do BOTH re-calls - heated washer fluid AND wiper recalls - my guys only did the wipers. I noticed on the way home that the heated fluid system was still out of commission. Back to the dealer, 5 minutes to install the new wire harness section and back on the road! I will need the system for our Canadian winters. Glad I got it before GM cancelled this great option!
premium seating,
premium plus seating
cold weather package
Old 11-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #16
CRXguy
CRXguy is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by logbite View Post
It affects Outlooks that have the heated system with the #'s 8J100640 to 8J100780(2008 models). Hope this helps. The recall # 08048B.
Looks like it's the early 2008 models? Thanks for the recall #. I'll ask the service advisor next time I visit the dealership.

CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Looks like it's the early 2008 models? Thanks for the recall #. I'll ask the service advisor next time I visit the dealership.

There's a recall on some 2007 models also; mine just got back from the shop.

To answer an earlier question, there's a potential short-circuit on the controller board, which can cause the board (and the rest of the system, and eventually your vehicle) to catch fire.

The fix is to insert a fuse into the wiring harness, so if the board does short, the fuse cuts power, avoiding the fire.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
kiwikate568
kiwikate568 is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR

I've got an '09 Outlook that came standard with the heated washer fluid. I've used it several times with no issues, and I find it really convenient for icy mornings. I haven't heard about any problems with the '09 and late '08 models with regard to this, but I can be clueless sometimes. Just adding my $.02
kiwikate568 is offline   Reply With Quote