SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
cyberfiche
cyberfiche is on a distinguished road

Default Passenger side engine rattle near glove box

I have a 2004 V6 Vue with about 109k that's making a rattling noise on the passenger side. Iíve searched the forum and there are several posts about knocking and rattling like mine. Some come close to describing what Iím hearing, but no one seems to have found a solution. This is a very difficult noise to explain and I think that may be the problem that other posters have had in getting a good response. Iím going to try to explain the noise the best I can and hopefully I can get some guidance from a fellow Satun Fan.

The noise sounds like it's coming from behind the glove box near the passenger wheel well. Interestingly, it seems louder inside the cabin than it does in the engine compartment. The rattle has a deep bass quality like someone tapping a finger on a wooden table. Iíd say it taps about 400 times per minute at idle. Thereís not a noticeable vibration associated with the rattle and the Vue runs just fine. The rattle doesn't happen all the time, but I can pretty consistently reproduce the noise if I park the Vue facing downhill, put it in drive, and keep the brake fully applied.

I thought at first the noise might be coming from the torque converter. The automatic transmission is a little sluggish when shifting from first to second and a little rough shifting back to first. Itís also a little rough going from second to third when itís cold outside. But the transmission is on the driverís side Ė the opposite side from the rattle. Iíve also thought about the timing belt. So I found a dowel and placed one end at my ear and the other end on the engine. I listened to several different spots in the engine compartment, including spots above the valves and cylinders, the timing belt housing, near all the accessories, and near the transmission. The dowel really localized and amplified every little sound (especially that beautiful little Saturn/Honda tick). Everything sounded perfectly fine in each spot. I also listened to a couple of spots on the body inside the engine compartment. There was nothing noticeable on the driverís side, but the rattle was slightly amplified on the passenger side.

Iím really stumped. I would really appreciate any advice on where to look next.

- John
cyberfiche is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Passenger side engine rattle near glove box

Did you take a peek at the right front motor-mount?

I've heard these little-guys can fail. You might need to use a mirror-on-a-stick (Sears or Harbor Freight) to see if the mount is leaking or rubber is coming apart. (See attachment).

There's a special engine lift fixture to take load off the mount but a resourceful person with a few pieces of wood and a floor jack could probably do a similar job.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.5 Engine Mount Inspect.pdf (25.1 KB, 233 views)
I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Do you get the same sound if you go from D to R while you are still (with the brake holding the car still)?
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
cyberfiche
cyberfiche is on a distinguished road

VTchemist,
The noise is there in D, R, or N.

far2grumpy,
I like the motor mount suggestion. It seems reasonable since the rattle was more pronounced when listening to the frame. It would also explain the sense of reverberation in the cabin. I'll check into that and post what I find.
cyberfiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

I think Far2grumpy is right. Engine mounts could be the culprit.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
glenstewart
glenstewart is on a distinguished road

Some good discussion on this problem also comes from http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...43#post1971443.

I was able to get a right motor mount from GMpartsDirect for $64.54, and it resolved the cold-start "grinding noise" we kept hearing from the glove compartment (passenger side) area.

Thanks to all who contribute to these threads!
glenstewart is offline   Reply With Quote